Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low-profile front license plate options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen two license plate brackets that position themselves low (over the center of the front air intake). I had one ordered from Evannex (the one that installs with bolts rather than adhesive), but it was apparently lost by USPS, and now they're back-ordered. That said, the price for that thing was just ridiculous.

The other option I've seen is the "Sto 'n Show", but it 1) requires drilling the bumper and 2) would be easily damaged if I pulled over a parking block (concrete french fry) that happened to be a little too high.

The next best thing I've seen is the video of the guy who modified his stock bracket to fit over the intake with a couple of 4.5" bolts and fender washers. Still, not exactly a custom fit.

Anyone seen anything else? Honestly, just something made from plastic that can safely grab the fins over the cooling vent would be fine. I see no need for it to be made of metal (which, from added weight, would just stress the fins that much more). This seems like a job for a 3D printer. If someone were industrious, they'd even add some air channels along the side to improve air flow behind the bracket.

........................ but it was apparently lost by USPS, and now they're back-ordered. That said, the price for that thing was just ridiculous.

The other option I've seen is the "Sto 'n Show", but it 1) requires drilling the bumper and 2) would be easily damaged if I pulled over a parking block (concrete french fry) that happened to be a little too high.

The next best thing I've seen is the video of the guy who modified his stock bracket to fit over the intake with a couple of 4.5" bolts and fender washers. Still, not exactly a custom fit.

Sorry to hear about the lost package, maybe it was a sign?

This thread might stir some ideas and help you decide:
Temporary Front License Plate Solutions

Suction cups seem to work fine with the stock holder and it was a solution that some users used on their Model S's.

I personally purchased this Universal Front License Plate Bracket
that I found on the above thread and saw it installed here (not my car): Removable front plate on Model 3
It's sitting in the garage with a bunch of other goodies I have yet to slap on, good luck.

I don’t understand why anyone would want a license plate that sits low, reducing the Model 3’s aerodynamic profile and consequently reducing the car’s range.
Same reason people remove the aero wheels in favor of less aerodynamic ones - it looks better. Who wants a great ugly plate right in the middle of the beautifully designed front nose of the car? Brought my M3 to the service center the other day for something and all the staff even commented on how much better the lower posititioned plate looked.

At any rate, I highly doubt it is affecting aerodynamics to any level worth worrying about. But if that’s what’s important to you, stick the plate wherever you like.

For the record I kept my aero wheels but understand why some people didn’t and certainly don’t go around questioning their personal choices based on the fact that it’s not as aerodynamic.

Reactions: NewTMSMan