Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Quality Grid detected while sitting in car after it's charged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you are plugged in and climate is on, the contactors are engaged and you are running on shore power, When you turn off cooling & heating, the contactors disengage and you are running on battery power. Makes sense why the message about the state of AC power shows up and disappears with the state of the climate control when plugged in.

The overall message relates to a voltage drop on the supply line, which happens due to faulty connections somewhere in the chain or with high current demand relative to the power supply. Could even be someone starts using the oven and dryer at the same time you are charging if your service is on the small side of average.

I can add some more mystery to this fun problem. I have two Model 3's and only the Mid-Range does this. The long range has no issue hooked up to the same charger minutes apart. I also have a wall connector and a Nema 14-50. The mid range does this on both chargers. Seems that there is something about that model that is more susceptible to these problems.

My Tesla model three long range dual motor would charge at 40 A in my garage with the Tesla wall charger.
Now it only charges at 16 A and I get the error message poor grid power quality possible.

I worked with tesla energy to install a new version of firmware to the charger through the car rebooted the car recycle the power to the wall charger and none of these fixed the problem.
The technician said they would talk to their level to support and get back to me. I have never heard back from them and have been chasing them down.

Reactions: noelegacy
I have a new 48A level 2 charger and my car limits it to 32A. PCS_a019 grid quality error code. The connections are fine, the voltage is high typically 240-248V so it’s not a voltage drop issue. The car negotiates and decides. Wonder what those negotiations are.

I have my utilities company looking into it. They tried several things and still get that issue. It's just weird it doesn't happen everytime we pre-heat either. Waiting to hear back from looking into the monitoring unit they put on our meter. If it turns out they don't find anything contacting electrician I used for our new service install.
Hello. Did you ever find a resolution?

Ok thanks for your reply. I tried an electrician and tesla to no avail. Going to try my power company next.
Just a heads up, I got the same bad grid power error when my PCS board would not charge over 32A on any AC source capable of 48A. The cost to replace the PCS board out of warranty is over $1600. Search this forum for the thread where I discuss details of the issue.

Reactions: Dp7-81