TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Low rolling resistance tires for 20" aftermarket wheels

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Gouldness, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Gouldness

Gouldness Gould times ahead.

Awaiting my AWD 3 with 18" Aero's and planning to upgrade to aftermarket turbines (20x8.5) for the perfect look.

Looking for advice from experienced Tesla drivers on the balance of low rolling resistance vs grip at a functional level since i'm not taking it to the track, just want the best "mileage" without sacrificing meaningful safety in emergency braking.

Live in central Florida, so no need for winter tires or "no seasons" ;-) but understand that summer tires have a softer compound, thoughts?.

2. khraiv

khraiv Member

I don't qualify as an expert, but you probably cannot go wrong with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, same as provided by the performance package upgrade. Should be a nice balance between performance and real-world usage (tread ware, etc).

• Helpful x 1
  3. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

4. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

Why not just order the $4000 20's from Tesla.com? Thats a pretty good deal for tires, wheels, and rear suspension modification.

5. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

If you want those wheels a better deal would be waiting for someone with a P+ to sell theirs. Does anyone know what the suspension modification does? Is it just more camber?

6. Gouldness

You'll see once i post pictures of these special turbines, i like the look of them better then those. Plus over 2k cheaper. Not looking to track it, just occasional spirited jaunts, so leaning towards longer treadwear over straight up ultra high performance tires.

I've considered that angle too. I'd have gone for the performance model if i wanted to spend all my disposable income on tires :p

7. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Are the special wheels not available in 18 or 19? If you're concerned about tire cost and performance/mileage then bigger/heavier wheels works against all your goals.

8. Gouldness

Correct. 20’s or bust. So many options for tires but looking for some experience if possible.

9. Gouldness

Plan is to use stock aero 18’s for road trips and have the 20’s on UHP summers (maybe Falken Azenis FK510’s to not break the bank) for the first set since I’ll want to hoon it a bit, then once those are burnt up go for a nice mature 500 treadlife tire (this is the one I haven’t had luck finding). Appreciate any experienced Tesla tire experts on this.

10. evpulse

evpulse Member

The Michelin’s on the P+ 20’ wheels are 500 treadwear 4S tires not the regular 300 treadwear ones. That tire is hard to beat.

• Informative x 1