Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low rolling resistance tires for 20" aftermarket wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awaiting my AWD 3 with 18" Aero's and planning to upgrade to aftermarket turbines (20x8.5) for the perfect look.

Looking for advice from experienced Tesla drivers on the balance of low rolling resistance vs grip at a functional level since i'm not taking it to the track, just want the best "mileage" without sacrificing meaningful safety in emergency braking.

Live in central Florida, so no need for winter tires or "no seasons" ;-) but understand that summer tires have a softer compound, thoughts?.

Awaiting my AWD 3 with 18" Aero's and planning to upgrade to aftermarket turbines (20x8.5) for the perfect look.

Looking for advice from experienced Tesla drivers on the balance of low rolling resistance vs grip at a functional level since i'm not taking it to the track, just want the best "mileage" without sacrificing meaningful safety in emergency braking.

Live in central Florida, so no need for winter tires or "no seasons" ;-) but understand that summer tires have a softer compound, thoughts?.

I don't qualify as an expert, but you probably cannot go wrong with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, same as provided by the performance package upgrade. Should be a nice balance between performance and real-world usage (tread ware, etc).

• Helpful
Reactions: Gouldness
Why not just order the $4000 20's from Tesla.com? Thats a pretty good deal for tires, wheels, and rear suspension modification.

You'll see once i post pictures of these special turbines, i like the look of them better then those. Plus over 2k cheaper. Not looking to track it, just occasional spirited jaunts, so leaning towards longer treadwear over straight up ultra high performance tires.

If you want those wheels a better deal would be waiting for someone with a P+ to sell theirs. Does anyone know what the suspension modification does? Is it just more camber?

I've considered that angle too. I'd have gone for the performance model if i wanted to spend all my disposable income on tires :p

Plan is to use stock aero 18’s for road trips and have the 20’s on UHP summers (maybe Falken Azenis FK510’s to not break the bank) for the first set since I’ll want to hoon it a bit, then once those are burnt up go for a nice mature 500 treadlife tire (this is the one I haven’t had luck finding). Appreciate any experienced Tesla tire experts on this.

Plan is to use stock aero 18’s for road trips and have the 20’s on UHP summers (maybe Falken Azenis FK510’s to not break the bank) for the first set since I’ll want to hoon it a bit, then once those are burnt up go for a nice mature 500 treadlife tire (this is the one I haven’t had luck finding). Appreciate any experienced Tesla tire experts on this.

The Michelin’s on the P+ 20’ wheels are 500 treadwear 4S tires not the regular 300 treadwear ones. That tire is hard to beat.

• Informative
Reactions: Gouldness