TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Low Rolling Resistance tires that will fit the 18" wheels?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by ratsbew, Apr 14, 2018.

  1. ratsbew

    ratsbew Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2012
    Messages:
    1,010
    Location:
    O'Fallon, IL
    Are there any LRR tires that will fit the 18" wheels? I use Goodyear FuelMax tires on my Chevy Cruze and want to put the very lowestr resistance tires on my Model 3 for max range.

    Any suggestions?
     
  2. Tdriver

    Tdriver Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2015
    Messages:
    478
    Location:
    Palm Desert, CA
    The testers for Tirerack like the Pirelli Cinturato for comfort and overall use. That is what I am going to try.
     
    • Like x 1
  3. TaoJones

    TaoJones Beyond Driven

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2014
    Messages:
    3,064
    Location:
    The Americas
    Are the Michelins that come with the 18" wheels not the LRR Primacys?
     
  4. DR61

    DR61 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2016
    Messages:
    560
    Location:
    Gold River, CA
    Yes, they are LRR. Not sure how they rank with other LRR tires.
     
    • Helpful x 1
  5. T34ME

    T34ME Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2016
    Messages:
    2,261
    Location:
    Inland Empire
    Tire Rack rates the model 3 18" Michelin Primacy OEM tires as the best LRR tires they tested. The Michelins are a favorite of the Prius crowd. I have them on my Prius and I get better than EPA range. I will happily use them on my model 3.
     
    • Informative x 1
  6. insaneoctane

    insaneoctane Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2016
    Messages:
    3,192
    Location:
    Southern California
    Can anyone provide any data for how much LRR actual matters in the real world? Is it like range is 310 with LRR and 300 without or like 280 without or ????
     
  7. T34ME

    T34ME Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2016
    Messages:
    2,261
    Location:
    Inland Empire
    Your question is difficult to answer because the EPA tested the model 3 at 334 miles range with OEM 19" tires which are not LRR tires. I presume Tesla used non-LRR tires on the 19" wheels to give better "performance" - better cornering, grip, braking, etc. I can tell you that the Prius guys found that Michelin LRR tires gave 5% to 10% better "range" than non-LRR tires on the same rims (some non-LRR tires are worse than others). My best guess is that Michelin LRR tires will give the model 3 with 19" OEM tires, BETTER range (whether you want to use the 310 or 334 number your guess is as good as mine) at some sacrifice to "performance".
     
  8. insaneoctane

    insaneoctane Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2016
    Messages:
    3,192
    Location:
    Southern California
    Thanks for your inputs. If this is the case, I would be more than willing to give up on LRR on my next set of tires to save on the tire costs and better performance ... as long as they are quiet....
     
  9. ratsbew

    ratsbew Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2012
    Messages:
    1,010
    Location:
    O'Fallon, IL
    I'm assuming that the 18" aero wheels +10% range benefit is a system increase that includes aerodynamics and LRR tires. Perhaps the LRR tires make up the majority and the aero is only a small portion.
     
  10. T34ME

    T34ME Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2016
    Messages:
    2,261
    Location:
    Inland Empire
    My understanding is that Tesla has implied that using the aero covers on the 18" wheels gives a 5% range increase over the 18" wheels without the covers. They have also implied that the 18" wheel with aero covers gives an additional 5% range compared to the 19" Sportwheels with non-LRR tires, so a total of 10% - 18" LLR compared to 19" with non-LRR. Apparently, the EPA tested the model 3 LR with the 18" wheels and aero covers at 334 miles. So my guess is that Tesla downrated the range to 310 miles so that people who optioned the 19" wheels with non-LRR tires would have a more realistic expectation of range. But I don't know, just speculating.
     
    • Like x 1

Share This Page

  • About Us

    Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.
  • Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.


    SUPPORT TMC