Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Rolling Resistance tires that will fit the 18" wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any LRR tires that will fit the 18" wheels? I use Goodyear FuelMax tires on my Chevy Cruze and want to put the very lowestr resistance tires on my Model 3 for max range.

Any suggestions?
Tire Rack rates the model 3 18" Michelin Primacy OEM tires as the best LRR tires they tested. The Michelins are a favorite of the Prius crowd. I have them on my Prius and I get better than EPA range. I will happily use them on my model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Can anyone provide any data for how much LRR actual matters in the real world? Is it like range is 310 with LRR and 300 without or like 280 without or ????
Your question is difficult to answer because the EPA tested the model 3 at 334 miles range with OEM 19" tires which are not LRR tires. I presume Tesla used non-LRR tires on the 19" wheels to give better "performance" - better cornering, grip, braking, etc. I can tell you that the Prius guys found that Michelin LRR tires gave 5% to 10% better "range" than non-LRR tires on the same rims (some non-LRR tires are worse than others). My best guess is that Michelin LRR tires will give the model 3 with 19" OEM tires, BETTER range (whether you want to use the 310 or 334 number your guess is as good as mine) at some sacrifice to "performance".

Your question is difficult to answer because the EPA tested the model 3 at 334 miles range with OEM 19" tires which are not LRR tires. I presume Tesla used non-LRR tires on the 19" wheels to give better "performance" - better cornering, grip, braking, etc. I can tell you that the Prius guys found that Michelin LRR tires gave 5% to 10% better "range" than non-LRR tires on the same rims (some non-LRR tires are worse than others). My best guess is that Michelin LRR tires will give the model 3 with 19" OEM tires, BETTER range (whether you want to use the 310 or 334 number your guess is as good as mine) at some sacrifice to "performance".
Thanks for your inputs. If this is the case, I would be more than willing to give up on LRR on my next set of tires to save on the tire costs and better performance ... as long as they are quiet....

I'm assuming that the 18" aero wheels +10% range benefit is a system increase that includes aerodynamics and LRR tires. Perhaps the LRR tires make up the majority and the aero is only a small portion.

I'm assuming that the 18" aero wheels +10% range benefit is a system increase that includes aerodynamics and LRR tires. Perhaps the LRR tires make up the majority and the aero is only a small portion.
My understanding is that Tesla has implied that using the aero covers on the 18" wheels gives a 5% range increase over the 18" wheels without the covers. They have also implied that the 18" wheel with aero covers gives an additional 5% range compared to the 19" Sportwheels with non-LRR tires, so a total of 10% - 18" LLR compared to 19" with non-LRR. Apparently, the EPA tested the model 3 LR with the 18" wheels and aero covers at 334 miles. So my guess is that Tesla downrated the range to 310 miles so that people who optioned the 19" wheels with non-LRR tires would have a more realistic expectation of range. But I don't know, just speculating.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq