Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low speed pedestrian warning sounds coming soon

Do you like the new proposed Tesla low speed pedestrian warning sounds?

• Yes good idea

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • No bad idea

Votes: 48 68.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't believe someone hasn't simply unplugged to speaker to see if a warning pops up on the screen. That's step one. I get my car next week, if no one else has done it by then, I will try. If that doesn't work I'll measure the impedance of the speaker and stick a similar value resistor (with a high power rating in case the speaker is amplified) in the connector.

I voted no, since there is no data that shows there are fewer accidents with pedestrians as a direct result of such noisemakers. I believe it is dangerous for unsighted people to rely on noise alone to determine when it’s safe to cross a street. Finally, there is enough noise pollution in urban areas without adding more.

There is data showing a correlation, Do Hybrids Hit Pedestrians More Often? NHTSA Report May Say So

I wouldn't say that it is only blind people who rely on noise.....we all do, we just don't realize it. Folks, especially dealing with kids or whatever, will walk across parking lots while distracted if they don't hear a noise. And kids do, too. Our brains are just programmed to assume things are safe in parking lots when you don't hear a car. Over time, that will change, but for now, the noise certainly seems to be targeting an issue that has data saying it is real.

• Informative
Reactions: JES2
I wonder how much we are exacerbating the problem though? I saw some study once from a city somewhere in one of the Nordic countries where they took away all curbs, signs, stoplights etc and found it increased safety because it forced people to be more aware, make eye contact, etc. or like football, where more padding and harder helmets and such increases risk and damage from harder hits, and the thinking is that going back to softer/less padding forces players to adapt their hits to better match the available equipment. Sorry, totally speculating. But I wonder if we’re better off keeping the safety features toned down to force people to adjust to the new reality.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Honestly, I'm kinda diggin. I agree it's ridiculous but it is kinda fun. I would love to hear if the inside occupants can hear it with the windows down. Or what if hackers could find a way to modify the sounds to something the user selects? Imagine the possibilities. Or...wondering if that sound is completely up to the manufacturer. Is it patentable? Copyrightable? If so it will eventually lead to a cacaphony of electronic music in a crowded parking lot.

While I agree completely I would not modify my vehicle so as to set myself up for lawsuit how would this play out given that mandate is not until 2020 , Tesla decided to implement it now ( there is a 50% of vehicles now mandate indicated on some sources but what does that mean ??) Also as far as I know no requirement to retrofit i.e. model 3 produced few months back no sounds / mine Sept build has sounds
So if I disable say my forward only sound (reminds me of a dragging brake caliper btw) my car was manufactured before law is effective in 2020 so not required ??

Reactions: superfunk
While I agree completely I would not modify my vehicle so as to set myself up for lawsuit how would this play out given that mandate is not until 2020 , Tesla decided to implement it now ( there is a 50% of vehicles now mandate indicated on some sources but what does that mean ??) Also as far as I know no requirement to retrofit i.e. model 3 produced few months back no sounds / mine Sept build has sounds
So if I disable say my forward only sound (reminds me of a dragging brake caliper btw) my car was manufactured before law is effective in 2020 so not required ??
This is the logic I’m looking for! Not digging in to right/wrong, risk/reward, or anything like that. Just the logic and facts. Also the question in my mind is around things like bicycles...they easily go 20 mph...using the logic of the pedestrian speaker, must they one day require noise makers for pedestrian safety?