Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Speed Rear End - No Automatic Braking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soooo, my wife was following a car through an intersection after coming from an off ramp. As they were turning onto the cross street the guy braked suddenly for traffic back up and my wife rear ended the guy at about 5-10 MPH. TACC nor AP was on. Does the Tesla not have automatic braking for collision avoidance? Just curious as I thought it did but maybe not! As far as the car goes looks like it just needs a new bumper - I hope.

Wes

AEB is inactive below 5mph and also when the brakes are already being applied.

Furthermore Tesla AEB is designed for minimizing the severity of a collision, not avoiding them altogether — the latter would result in far more false braking events when the driver is aggressive.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenius
It’s also worth mentioning, if this was during the middle of a turn, both AEB and FCW are at a weakness there. The collision detection system relies on lane detection to predict where your car will end up relative to a car in front of you.

When your steering wheel is sharply turned at low speeds, FCW likely gives the driver the benefit of the doubt to avoid false alarms.

Ironically I’ve found the use of TACC for low speed city situations to be a safety improvement to my commute. There’s a lot of situations like checking your blind spot where the person in front of you might suddenly slow down.