Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low sun and Blind spot detection limited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else getting the Blindspot detection limited message when driving in bright lowish sun? I seem to be getting it at the moment from 8 ish - 11 ish if on sunny days.

It comes and goes, normally coming on when driving into the sun and the goes once in the shade.
Yes, I’ve had that a few times. Also lost autopilot the other day when driving into low sun. AP was on, then I suddenly got a loud warning, similar to collision avoidance, telling me that AP had disengaged.

But FSD is just around the corner ;)

Reactions: ChrisA70
I had this crop up for the 1st time yesterday. I also thought this was down to low sun, as it turns out condensation in the drivers side B pillar camera was to blame.

The interesting thing is that is was only flagged up on the second drive of the day after a short 10 minute drive, followed by a 10 minute stop.

I had the warning today. When I checked the side camera both seem to have a film on the inside of the b pillar glass. Doesn’t look like condensation but I haven’t seen it before.

BDA73843-595B-4E10-AA2E-4C7D4FE61FB6.jpeg

I think unrelated but I did also have condensation inside the rear light clusters this morning is this normal?

BDA73843-595B-4E10-AA2E-4C7D4FE61FB6.jpeg

Attachments

• 7B8909A7-07B8-4201-B7BC-36AB8796788D.jpeg
    7B8909A7-07B8-4201-B7BC-36AB8796788D.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 50
I think unrelated but I did also have condensation inside the rear light clusters this morning is this normal?

A misting like yours appears to be seems to be par for the course, but droplets like below isn't and should be reported.

20191022_155546249_iOS - Copy.jpg

I am a little surprised at how much moisture seems to gather internally on our windows when parked. No idea where it is coming from. Our other cars have never been so bad.

20191026_162724447_iOS - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't have any HVAC running - had been sitting in car watching an Abstract Ocean installation video - steamy stuff! Photo was 17:27 Saturday and temp was apparently 12C out, 19C inside - no fan. But steaming up is not too far off when car is left overnight. I'll have a look in the morning before anyone sits inside or we run pre heat. Obviously some of the water is on the outside - iirc it chucked it down when I was sitting inside.

I specifically took the photo due to the line - it nicely highlights (and identifies it as internal) a mark on inside of passenger side windscreen that I hope is just residue from stickers or something.

Last edited:
Had it happen last week whilst driving into very bright fairly low angle morning sunlight. That was after having driven about 75 miles or so. Only lasted for about 10 minutes and then it would do self driving again. I think that is about 2.5 degrees difference in the suns angle. They may need to make the camera slightly less sensitive.

How can this system ever work reliably enough for FSD?

It can't. To take Elon's analogy of people being cameras on a swivel one requires the optical sytem to have tears and blink and squint and be duplicated and have sun visors. He can make his system safer than humans overall by beating their skills at conventional driving (at some future time) but to cope with mud spray, snow, freezing ice and condensation, rain and bug strikes takes additional wipers,heaters, washers and to beat the human at driving into sun and blizzard will need extra radars, longer range sonar etc.
Landing a booster on a raft in the atlantic is a piece of piss compared to negotiating hyde park corner in a rush hour.

• Funny
Reactions: Yev000 and Roy W.