Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low sun and Blind spot detection limited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can this system ever work reliably enough for FSD?

Because there will be more cameras in use for FSD?

That said, I would like V2I so car can communicate with road network infrastructure and I wonder if one day they may relocate front radar to rear and replace front a later version of the current front radar that has better capabilities.

Last edited:
It can't. To take Elon's analogy of people being cameras on a swivel one requires the optical sytem to have tears and blink and squint and be duplicated and have sun visors. He can make his system safer than humans overall by beating their skills at conventional driving (at some future time) but to cope with mud spray, snow, freezing ice and condensation, rain and bug strikes takes additional wipers,heaters, washers and to beat the human at driving into sun and blizzard will need extra radars, longer range sonar etc.
Landing a booster on a raft in the atlantic is a piece of piss compared to negotiating hyde park corner in a rush hour.

Because there will be more cameras in use for FSD?

That said, I would like V2I so car can communicate with road network infrastructure and I wonder if one day they may relocate front radar to rear and replace front a later version of the current front radar that has better capabilities.

Yes, but if you've paid £6k and new hardware is required, will you get it retrofitted for no additional cost?

Yes, but if you've paid £6k and new hardware is required, will you get it retrofitted for no additional cost?

Who knows. The HW3 FSD computer is a free upgrade for some of those with earlier HW computer so if sensors become a limiting factor, maybe the same will be done. However Musk seems confident that current sensors are fine for FSD. I still think that without V2I, Tesla will be an outsider at the CAV (connected autonomous vehicles) party that everyone else will be enjoying.

The other thing different ATM is that the current system is running at a level that t can still be run on HW2.x hardware. HW3 is several orders of magnitude more powerful and little, if any, functions are making use of that extra capability. Better filtering of camera imagery is one area, possibly bringing the capability to handle high contrast scenarios like low sun, or low contrast scenarios like spray. I had hoped that V10 would be that crossover, but it seems that it will instead come at some future point - maybe when things become 'feature complete'. FSD features will require that extra processing performance that HW3 offers, standard autopilot will work fine on HW2.x. No idea what that means if you have standard AP but have HW3 I do not know, but hopefully if HW3 can offer better standard AP experience for those that have HW3 but not FSD, then hopefully that benefit will become available too for those that do not have FSD option.

Even now, on screen graphics show line markings that I struggle with, standing water and glare, feint lines etc. And I still have pretty good 20/20 uncorrected sight needed for driving, tested anually.

I tried to push the sales guy on this before ordering.

Way I see it is that they have undertaken that the hardware is enough for full self driving, and therefore they should retrofit whatever's necessary when they find out that they need different hardware to deliver it in new cars. But I don't know how you'd win the point in law and I suspect they'll find out that the necessary hardware isn't financially viable as a retrofit and then try to change their tune.

Anyway, sales guy pointed to commitment on twitter to retrofit HW3 but not much more, so I didn't get enough to be satisfied on the point. Yes I bought anyway but I just figured I would be one of many, the argument would come later, you can't access high enough in Tesla to have the conversation anyway, and I just wanted to get on with it.