Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Trade-in For Model S for new Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the only issue with leasing might the inability to get out of the lease if you ever want to upgrade sooner than the lease term.
I don't think it's the only issue with leasing. I see the argument repeated that people want to lease because of the changing technology. I considered this route because I heard it so often. However, if you can pay for the car outright, you will probably pay less (and be less restricted on things like mileage and length of ownership) than if you lease. I haven't been able to see the financial benefit compared to buying the vehicle cash, then selling for a fair residual value. I'd be happy to be shown the math that disagrees with that, though.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm stuck with my car for a few more years - not that there's anything wrong with it. I was hoping to upgrade to autopilot because I commute over 100 miles/day, almost all freeway.

My car being an early production vehicle is losing value really quickly. Which sucks, but oh well.

I don't think leasing will work with me with my mileage.

My car being an early production vehicle is losing value really quickly. Which sucks, but oh well.

All (most) cars loose value very quickly. It's the reality of cars. Perhaps Tesla is a slight bit worse, but I'm not sure it is that much different than a $100k BMW or Mercedes (except there you're not as excited to sell to get the new bells and whistles because there aren't any). My BMW M3 certainly dropped value quickly, as did the 330ci.

I don't think it's the only issue with leasing. I see the argument repeated that people want to lease because of the changing technology. I considered this route because I heard it so often. However, if you can pay for the car outright, you will probably pay less (and be less restricted on things like mileage and length of ownership) than if you lease. I haven't been able to see the financial benefit compared to buying the vehicle cash, then selling for a fair residual value. I'd be happy to be shown the math that disagrees with that, though.
many people cannot come up with the cash needed for a cash purchase.
while many who have that level of cash sometimes feel that they can make better use of the cash than tying it up in a depreciating asset.
they think that they can invest the money and make better returns than what they would paying for a lease or a loan.