Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Tread Life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm... At first I was going to say "It's been a few years, you should do it." But if there's no abnormal wear and no pot-holes, you might be OK. How many miles? $150 is reasonable for all 4 wheels IMO. If I were you I'd at least have it checked.

Thanks. It's probably been over 2-3 years since it was checked and at around 20,000 miles so not a lot. I went ahead and had them do it since it was at the service center. With 4 brand new AD07s it will be like brand new.

Cool. You'll have to let us know how it drives. As for alignments, if this was some ordinary car like a Subaru Outback or my pickup truck I wouldn't be as picky with the alignments. But since its a sports-car I tend to want things more precise and on with the vehicle. Plus the tires are more expensive too so its in your favor to have it done or at least verified that its still within specification.

Are people doing any tire rotation at all with their Roadsters. Since the tires are directional, I guess they would have to be taken off one wheel and installed on the wheel for the other side. I think most places do not like dismounting tires if it is not needed, but with such a short life span could it hurt to do it a couple of times?

Just got a new set of front and back AD07s and the car sure is quieter.

I put new Yoko AD07's on my Roadster 1.5 exactly 5000 miles ago, and the Fremont SC tells me the 17" rears are completely worn and must be replaced.

Honestly, I'm a VERY conservative driver and these tires have been carefully 'babied'. Sorry. But this seems to be extremely low tread life. Any thoughts?

I got about 6K on my rears when I first got my car and then ~8K afterwards. Then I switched to Michelins and got 12-15K - I also reduced the camber on the rears as well.

2225/45ZR-17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport XLIn Stock$136.00$272.00

For what it's worth, I just put on my 5th set of rear tires on my Roadster--28,000 miles on it-- in 5 years. I have used AD07s, AD08s, and AD08 Rs. All get between 5-6000 miles. From the Tire Rack they are a little more than $300 a pair plus roughly $50 to install. Not a bad price to pay for the fun I have driving this car!

I wonder if the requirement that one must put the petal to the metal at each stoplight and stop sign has anything to do with the low mileage on the tires? :tongue: I keep trying to spin the tires with each start--haven't been able to yet. I guess that means the soft tires leave a little rubber on the road each time.

On the other hand, I have only changed the AD07 front tires once and that was at 21,200 miles.

YMMV (literally!)