Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Vampire Drain - Cabin Overheat Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Prunesquallor

His cardinal virtue? An undamaged brain.
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2018
Houston/Galveston
When I fly, I alway park the Model 3 in an airport parking garage, so Cabin Overheat should never be triggered . Normally, I’ve seen vampire drain of 1-2% a day. Lately, I’ve turned Cabin Overheat off, and I’ve seen a significant drain reduction, ~1% per week.

Now, I’m not complaining, but I’m curious if this could really be due to Cabin Overheat off. Again, it should NEVER be triggered at the temps it’s seeing. Have there been any FW updates that reduced vampire drain?

Reactions: darth_vad3r
I've read about this theory elsewhere and have turned it off myself as well but haven't done a lot of testing to confirm at all. I just know that i'm not going to hit 40C unless I know I leave it parked somewhere in the sun, and I can just pre-cool it if I want or leave "keep climate on" ON for short stops to actully keep the cabin at a comfortable temp for my return... so I may as well turn it off if it might help.

Curious if anyone using teslafi or other stats trackers have data on how often the car wakes up from sleep with/without Cabin Overheat Protection on/off.

a. If it can monitor the temp off the 12V continuously (or periodically) then I wouldn't expect a big hit to vampire drain from C.O.P.
b. If it has to wake up the car to check the temp periodically, then your overall sleep time will go down and I could see this being a factor.

I guess for (a) it could also be a slightly additional drain on the 12V, so the car has to wake up to charge the 12V from the HV battery more often than it otherwise would over the course of a longer parking duration?

Calling all stats trackers ... any insight? Maybe this has all been posted before already :D

EDIT to add:
*Of course I'm only considering C.O.P turned "on" but never actually being triggered to do any AC or fan usage ... obviously that would be expected to add to battery drain :D ... I think we're just considering C.O.P. being 'on' and doing "nothing" (other than monitoring temp) as a possibly significant contributor to vampire drain or not.

Reactions: Prunesquallor
I don't think the car goes into deep sleep with overheat protection enabled as it has to monitor the temperature constantly.

This is a totally valid theory, I'm just wondering if anyone has previously posted data on this based on 3rd party stats trackers?

It's plausible that (a) it could monitor temp using only the 12V battery since it's a fixed set point of 40C, hitting that could trigger a wakeup for the main system to turn on.

It's also plausible that (b) this was an afterthought feature and only the main system powered by HV battery can monitor the temp.

It's also plausible that it's (b) and currently implemented this naively and never sleeps ... or they could have optimized it to sleep occasionally depending on temperature, and wake up periodically to check the temperature. e.g. if it's 0-10C, wake up once every 2 hours, if it's 10-20C wake up every 30 minutes, if its >20C wake up every 10 minutes (or never sleep if that's longer than the sleep time?)

I'm wondering if anyone using a stat tracking 3rd party app/site can provide hard data.

You can see this in TeslaFi. Normally when the car sleeps it stops reporting temperatures, first the outside temperature then the inside temperature. With overheat protection enabled it never stops reporting the inside temperatures.

So it never sleeps? I still saw “Waking Up” in the app when I had COP turned on. I wonder if the TeslaFi settings that let the car go to sleep need tuning for COP because maybe the timeout is different when it’s enabled?