Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LOW VIN!!! Should I be concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couple of question/concerns....
How were you able to find out build date without physically looking at the car?
Also, Like I mentioned before here, If I do take car that was built prior to price raise on paint, I shouldn't be liable to pay for it. Just my opinion

This twitter is pretty handy for getting close the date. I was told by Reid @ the Dallas Cedar Springs service center that June 18 was my car's born date but that appears to be impossible given the timeline in this twitter which looks to be early May 2018.
Model 3 VINs (@Model3VINs) | Twitter

In my mind that makes sense to pay less for a car with less revisions than a newer car with more revisions. I don't have high hopes for price negotiations. Just a hunch.

My Model 3 is built in June 2018 with VIN 164XX, it has zero issues and I've driven it for over 6000 miles on it, it still drives like a dream. I would not worry about a low VIN, just check out the car during delivery and make sure every is up to your standard. Enjoy your new car.

Can you post a pic of the sticker with the born date on it? 164XX looks like March 2018.

OK, so I politely requested the following information from my DS. Let's see what Tesla has to say about it.

- What is the manufacturing date of this vehicle ("born date")?

- Confirmation that this vehicle has the second generation seats

- Charge history of the battery since manufacturing %SoC during storage (if applicable)

- Repair records (if applicable)​

This twitter is pretty handy for getting close the date. I was told by Reid @ the Dallas Cedar Springs service center that June 18 was my car's born date but that appears to be impossible given the timeline in this twitter which looks to be early May 2018.
Model 3 VINs (@Model3VINs) | Twitter

Based on this Twitter feed, if production occurs just after the VINs are registered, then my 57K-range VIN would have been built in July.
That would mean that 8 weeks or so had passed between the time the car rolled off the assembly line and my order date.
I'm a bit concerned with being handed a re-worked and less than great car, especially since,being in Texas, I had to pay in full ahead of time. I'm probably the ideal type of customer to be handed a reject since they already have my money.

What do you think, is that old enough to likely be a re-work? At that point the 200K mark had been reached and there would have been no reason to stockpile vehicles other than to address quality issues.

Based on this Twitter feed, if production occurs just after the VINs are registered, then my 57K-range VIN would have been built in July.

I found this document while searching to see who has low VINs: Model 3 Order Tracker #2 (Troy: There are a few identical files to avoid overcrowding)

I don't know who put that together, or how accurate it is, but it looks like people are still getting mid 50's VINs delivered. It doesn't look out of the ordinary. I think it's pretty unlikely they did major re-work in 2 months. Maybe a bumper swap or something like that.

On the other hand, my 7xxx VIN sticks out like a sore thumb. The last of that last 7000's was delivered at the end of March. 1/2 a year ago! It could just be coincidence, but I'm going to be pretty upset if I take delivery of a battery pack that's already that old. I know, I know, Tesla battery packs are in a league of their own, but last time I took possession of an EV that had been sitting in the dealer's lot for 6 months I got burned.

I found this document while searching to see who has low VINs: Model 3 Order Tracker #2 (Troy: There are a few identical files to avoid overcrowding)

I don't know who put that together, or how accurate it is, but it looks like people are still getting mid 50's VINs delivered. It doesn't look out of the ordinary. I think it's pretty unlikely they did major re-work in 2 months. Maybe a bumper swap or something like that.

On the other hand, my 7xxx VIN sticks out like a sore thumb. The last of that last 7000's was delivered at the end of March. 1/2 a year ago! It could just be coincidence, but I'm going to be pretty upset if I take delivery of a battery pack that's already that old. I know, I know, Tesla battery packs are in a league of their own, but last time I took possession of an EV that had been sitting in the dealer's lot for 6 months I got burned.

Thank you!
I see a reported 58K in the second week of July, so it does look like they may have been sitting around for a while. In that chart, my VIN is at the bottom end of the range reported for last week.

With your 7K, you may get the proper suspension though. I'm not a big fan of the newer springs, they tend to fall apart in more aggressive turns ... quite unsatisfying.
If, once delivered, you have the chance to drive yours and a newer one back-to-back, would you mind giving us your impressions on the ride difference, if indeed it turns out you received the old springs? I spoke to someone close to some of the Tesla staff in the area and I hear that a lot of employees who own the Model 3 have retrofitted the old springs. They say the handling is much improved.

Y'all are complaining about S/N's in the 20k+ range. I just got my VIN assigned for a LR RWD: 007xxx. I ran it through a VIN decoder and it says it's a 2018, but I have no manufacturing date. I got the delivery scheduled within a day of placing the reservation. Makes me wonder if this is old stock.

I'm definitely concerned about the battery having sat in a discharged state. When I took delivery of my 2013 Leaf, it had been sitting. The battery was at 95% SoH with only 10 miles on the odo!

Sorry to hear that. Your VIN is way lower than mine. Battery in SoC is one of my major concerns as well. I know Tesla will fix it any problem comes up within warranty, but I don't want to waste time on calling and going to Tesla service centers and rental cars.

As a battery engineer, I wouldn't be concerned about a battery that has been sitting at a low State of Charge. Quite the opposite, as the battery degrades significantly faster at a higher SOC than a low SOC. The only time I'd be concerned which such a case is if it got so low that it had trouble recharging and the modules get out of balance but that is not an easy thing to achieve with a new car.

It could just be coincidence, but I'm going to be pretty upset if I take delivery of a battery pack that's already that old. I know, I know, Tesla battery packs are in a league of their own, but last time I took possession of an EV that had been sitting in the dealer's lot for 6 months I got burned.

I bought my 2014 Spark EV that was built in 09/13 at the end of April 2015. It was sitting on the dealers lot for over 500 days. Sure it had some degradation (18.5 versus 19.1 kWh in line with the expected degradation), but I also only paid a bit over $12k (b4 tax) for a new EV....

I wouldn't as concerned with a Tesla though.

I ordered my car on 17th August. Received call same evening saying car is ready. I live in EAST coast. I could not take the deliver because my loan was not ready and I was going on vacation for about 3 weeks. I came back and they assigned me VIN yesterday.

The VIN is 27k. Should I be worried?

Also, If I do take the deliver and this car was manufactured before August, will Tesla refund the extra 500 bucks that I paid for blue color which was 1k before August?
I wouldn’t be worried. Enjoy the car. I have VIN #5977 and it’s been great. The biggest issue we’ve had has been with the “phone as the key”, and that turned out to be our fault for not having the app open, or it being on our other car. I did have the Service Center adjust the “sunken hood”, but that was super simple and done in fifteen minutes. Ok, I don’t have the Gen 2 seats and my visor flaps are Alcantara when the rest of the headliner is the new style, but so what? The car is simply awesome!

Reactions: RBowen
There weren't 27,000 Model 3's built in all of 2017, more like 5,000 .... so for sure this is a 2018 car.

We also can't be sure the car was re-worked, since Tesla does not build VINs sequentially... it's possible his VIN wasn't put into production until later. He needs to find out what week/month the car was built.

OP, you will want to find out the week your car was built to learn more about it. Even if the car was repaired at the factory it doesn't necessary mean there is anything wrong with it. It could have sat there for 90 days waiting on a battery that was defective.
The month of manufacture is listed up near the top of the Monroney by the VIN. Be sure and get that window sticker.

I called my local delivery center and they said car was in trasit in June so I am assuming the car was built in May or June. I will check the menufacturing dat on the car. Will reject anything prior to June.

I still feel they shouldnt charge me 1500 bucks if the car was manufactured in June or prior.. They chaned the price on Aug 1st i think.
The Monroney should reflect pricing at the time the car was built. They can be reprinted if equipment is missing off the sticker, etc. But they are not allowed to change the pricing to reflect a later increase.

Ask them to email you the Monroney sticker, that's what I did when they called to schedule my delivery appointment. (it will clearly show the month/year of manufacture). I also told my ISA flat out that I will not accept a car that was built more than 30 days ago, but I'm in Los Angeles, for East Coast maybe 2 months. Make sure you inspect the car before you sign the paperwork, and if possible take a friend with you, 2nd pair of eyes always helps.

OK, the plot thickens. I just found out my VIN was moved from the Tempe AZ service center to CA. This means I almost certainly will not get my vehicle on 9/24. This means it was almost certainly a reject. It also means that battery pack was almost certainly sitting in AZ hot weather for months :( WTF Tesla...

tesla_united_road_blurred.png

I've been relentlessly searching for any and all information. Normally its people b***ing about a month old VIN. I'm livid that I've been assigned a 7-month old VIN. I've been checking daily with the delivery companies frequently mentioned on this and other forums. This search on UnitedRoad finally returned a result.
If a 52000 VIN doesn’t show on United Road, what does it mean? The car was sitting in a lot in Fremont and was never transported anywhere?

Ask them to email you the Monroney sticker, that's what I did when they called to schedule my delivery appointment. (it will clearly show the month/year of manufacture). I also told my ISA flat out that I will not accept a car that was built more than 30 days ago, but I'm in Los Angeles, for East Coast maybe 2 months. Make sure you inspect the car before you sign the paperwork, and if possible take a friend with you, 2nd pair of eyes always helps.
Oh, thanks for that bit of info. I'm getting a 48xxx VIN and was figuring that was an "older" car. But my Monroney sticker says 08/2018 manufacture.