Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LOW VIN!!! Should I be concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard of cars passing through LNR Auto Transport's locations, but I don't think they have a way to check the VIN online.
This might be what they used for me as UR can’t find my VIN and IDA says it’s in transit. Got the Monroney sticker today and found my 52XXX was actually built in August, not June as earlier speculated. Even if that’s August 1, no older than 6 weeks is good!

Well, they won't give me a new VIN. I told them I'm willing to wait as long as needed, or even pay the $500 order change fee and change the color to get a new VIN. No joy. My only option is to reject the delivery on Monday at the delivery center. Or just put up with the noisy windshield and uncomfortable seats. :rolleyes:

This might be what they used for me as UR can’t find my VIN and IDA says it’s in transit. Got the Monroney sticker today and found my 52XXX was actually built in August, not June as earlier speculated. Even if that’s August 1, no older than 6 weeks is good!

With someone having just stated here they have a VIN in the 110k range, that would imply that Tedla either have huge gaps in the VIN sequence or they have been building 10k a week since.

52k is a lot more likely to be an early July vehicle.

Well, they won't give me a new VIN. I told them I'm willing to wait as long as needed, or even pay the $500 order change fee and change the color to get a new VIN. No joy. My only option is to reject the delivery on Monday at the delivery center. Or just put up with the noisy windshield and uncomfortable seats. :rolleyes:
Go and reject it. No way would I accept that unless it was discounted.

Just got assigned my VIN in the 9xxx range, as in nine thousand. Kind of confused as mine is AWD and white seats. Does that mean my car was one of the first 10k made and then retrofitted with AWD and white seats? Should I be concerned?

With someone having just stated here they have a VIN in the 110k range, that would imply that Tedla either have huge gaps in the VIN sequence or they have been building 10k a week since.

I think this means VINs are not always in sequence. It’d be illegal for Tesla to lie in Monroney sticker and CarpetMan pretty much confirms it.

Just got assigned my VIN in the 9xxx range, as in nine thousand. Kind of confused as mine is AWD and white seats. Does that mean my car was one of the first 10k made and then retrofitted with AWD and white seats? Should I be concerned?
I don’t know why Tesla would go to that extent - taking the car apart and reusing the parts (with a new VIN) would be easier than doing that.

The VINs were fairly linear up until ~50,000 then they started having big gaps:
VIN Chart.png
This was compiled by one of the forum members here. I would take it with a huge grain of salt as it is all data reported by forum members, not official data from Tesla.

Just got assigned my VIN in the 9xxx range, as in nine thousand. Kind of confused as mine is AWD and white seats.

Yikes, I would be too

Does that mean my car was one of the first 10k made

Yes, with 99% likelyhood

and then retrofitted with AWD and white seats?

Unlikely. This could have been a very early run that was reworked.

Should I be concerned?

The car is probably fine, but will predate a few of the production enhancements (better windshield, better seats, etc...)

The VINs were fairly linear up until ~50,000 then they started having big gaps:
View attachment 336707
This was compiled by one of the forum members here. I would take it with a huge grain of salt as it is all data reported by forum members, not official data from Tesla.

Yikes, I would be too

Yes, with 99% likelyhood

Unlikely. This could have been a very early run that was reworked.

The car is probably fine, but will predate a few of the production enhancements (better windshield, better seats, etc...)

If I have white seats, wouldn’t that for sure get me gen 2 seats? Am I correct that white seats came out after the update from gen 1 to gen 2 seats?

VINs don't necessarily correlate to an exact build date... check the sticker on the door for exact date of manufacture. Mine is 72K and was built 8/2018. Also to add, the VIN they originally assigned to me wasn't the VIN that I end up getting.... a couple days prior to delivery the VIN changed and all the correct documents were sent.

Please explain the noisy windshield comment. I have VIN #5977 with the Gen 1 seats, and while I think the Gen 2 seats are a bit more comfortable, I’m still happy with the Gen 1’s. I also know they’ve made some changes to the UV coatings in the roof and back glass, but this is the first I’ve heard of noisy windshields.?