Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LOW VIN!!! Should I be concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my car on 17th August. Received call same evening saying car is ready. I live in EAST coast. I could not take the deliver because my loan was not ready and I was going on vacation for about 3 weeks. I came back and they assigned me VIN yesterday.

The VIN is 27k. Should I be worried?

Also, If I do take the deliver and this car was manufactured before August, will Tesla refund the extra 500 bucks that I paid for blue color which was 1k before August?

Hey, at least you aren't this guy from today's reddit thread (13,XXX):
Tesla Daily Discussion - September 12, 2018 : teslamotors

Honestly, though, that low VIN means your car is almost certainly reworked. Does your paperwork list it as a 2017 or 2018 model? For me, if it is a 2017 or has the gen1 seats, I would reject. Otherwise, assuming good fit and finish, I would probably keep it.

Hey, at least you aren't this guy from today's reddit thread (13,XXX):
Tesla Daily Discussion - September 12, 2018 : teslamotors

Honestly, though, that low VIN means your car is almost certainly reworked. Does your paperwork list it as a 2017 or 2018 model? For me, if it is a 2017 or has the gen1 seats, I would reject. Otherwise, assuming good fit and finish, I would probably keep it.

There weren't 27,000 Model 3's built in all of 2017, more like 5,000 .... so for sure this is a 2018 car.

We also can't be sure the car was re-worked, since Tesla does not build VINs sequentially... it's possible his VIN wasn't put into production until later. He needs to find out what week/month the car was built.

OP, you will want to find out the week your car was built to learn more about it. Even if the car was repaired at the factory it doesn't necessary mean there is anything wrong with it. It could have sat there for 90 days waiting on a battery that was defective.

Hmm.. waiting on a defective battery replacement is rework. Anyway, I think we agree. I said if it was 2017 (or had old seats), I would reject. Otherwise, roll with it.

And sequential or not, 27k is quite a low number. I think odds are very much in favor of it being reworked.

Reactions: C141medic
Yeah, I would not reject it purely based on the VIN. My first Model 3 was in the 5000 range and it was excellent. Recommendation is to take a look at the car and, if meets your expectations, buy it.

Edit - also would not reject it purely on the basis of rework. Cars get parts replaced all the time. So it doesn't really matter as long as the car looks and performs up to your expectations.

27k is an outlier

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 282
  • Informative
Reactions: SoCalGuy
27k is an outlier

It absolutely is an outlier, but he should still find out when it was manufactured. I agree with you that if it was built very early this year it probably needed some re-work at the factory but that doesn't necessary mean it should automatically be rejected.

I would reject the car if it had body work done but I would not reject it if they had to replace a motor, etc.

Last edited:
If the car was manufactured before August, I think I would want to see maintenance records and the car's charging logs. Given how prone Tesla employees are to inventing answers to make people happy, I wouldn't be willing to take someone's word regarding what work was done and whether the car sat around with a dead battery for weeks or months.

I don't know if they can/will provide that information, but I would ask for it, and reject the car if I saw something I didn't like or if they refused to provide that information.

@Viserion they used to put a coating on the top and back glass to control heat. It turns orange when wet. They have recently made a change so the thermal protection is layered into the back glass, and doesn’t change color any more. The top still does.

There is an argument that the new back glass may heat up more than the old, and radiate heat into the car, but the change is mostly cosmetic.

Yeah, I would not reject it purely based on the VIN. My first Model 3 was in the 5000 range and it was excellent. Recommendation is to take a look at the car and, if meets your expectations, buy it.

Edit - also would not reject it purely on the basis of rework. Cars get parts replaced all the time. So it doesn't really matter as long as the car looks and performs up to your expectations.
I called my local delivery center and they said car was in trasit in June so I am assuming the car was built in May or June. I will check the menufacturing dat on the car. Will reject anything prior to June.

I still feel they shouldnt charge me 1500 bucks if the car was manufactured in June or prior.. They chaned the price on Aug 1st i think.

@Viserion they used to put a coating on the top and back glass to control heat. It turns orange when wet. They have recently made a change so the thermal protection is layered into the back glass, and doesn’t change color any more. The top still does.

There is an argument that the new back glass may heat up more than the old, and radiate heat into the car, but the change is mostly cosmetic.
good info thanks.

I called my local delivery center and they said car was in trasit in June so I am assuming the car was built in May or June. I will check the menufacturing dat on the car. Will reject anything prior to June.

I still feel they shouldnt charge me 1500 bucks if the car was manufactured in June or prior.. They chaned the price on Aug 1st i think.

I think you need more info. If the car was built in June why are you getting it just now?

It would not be in transit for 10 weeks.