Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LOW VIN!!! Should I be concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if those are RWD vins that are on the back burner while dual motors get fulfilled.
Yes that could be, but my VIN sounds like it was built in May.

I am actually day 1 reservation holder but wanted wait some time before I place my order so the car have some quirks worked already. Also, any cosmetic changes made would be included up untill ordering.

I know that they make changes after I get the car which I have to live with.....

The best possible Model 3 RWD, is the early production with Alcantera headliner, orange glass roof, gen 2 seats with no panel gaps or paint issues. That pretty much sums up the list of changes they've done as far as I'm aware.

Mine is 34296 and I still haven't taken delivery of it. I don't even have a delivery date ("late September") The build date that I was told is June 18, 2018. I'm going to guess VIN 27K is probably April or May 2018. I am a bit more leary with the older VIN and the amount of handling(loading and unloading) it has seen over the past 3 months now. (Factory >>Truck Transport >>Rail yard>>Train>>Destination Rail yard>>Truck Transport>>Overflow Lot>>Truck Transport>>Service Center)

I'm probably going to be "that guy" during my pre-delivery inspection looking under and around the car on all sides with a super bright LED.

Mine is 34296 and I still haven't taken delivery of it. I don't even have a delivery date ("late September") The build date that I was told is June 18, 2018. I'm going to guess VIN 27K is probably April or May 2018. I am a bit more leary with the older VIN and the amount of handling(loading and unloading) it has seen over the past 3 months now. (Factory >>Truck Transport >>Rail yard>>Train>>Destination Rail yard>>Truck Transport>>Overflow Lot>>Truck Transport>>Service Center)

I'm probably going to be "that guy" during my pre-delivery inspection looking under and around the car on all sides with a super bright LED.
Couple of question/concerns....
How were you able to find out build date without physically looking at the car?
Also, Like I mentioned before here, If I do take car that was built prior to price raise on paint, I shouldn't be liable to pay for it. Just my opinion

@Viserion Your paint argument is interesting, but I don't see it working out for you.

When you bought, you made a commitment that said you were willing to pay a certain amount for that paint. The build date is not relevant to that commitment. You have the right to deny pickup for any reason, including the desire to wait for a newer build (presumably after they changed prices on the paint), but they do not have the obligation to lower your price.

In the opposite case, if you ordered a white car in February, when it was $500 cheaper, you would not expect them to raise your price just because it was built more recently, after the price increase. They would have made a commitment to sell you a white car at the originally agreed upon price.

It couldn't hurt to ask, but keep in the back of your mind that you are not entitled to the lower price.

@Viserion Your paint argument is interesting, but I don't see it working out for you.

When you bought, you made a commitment that said you were willing to pay a certain amount for that paint. The build date is not relevant to that commitment. You have the right to deny pickup for any reason, including the desire to wait for a newer build (presumably after they changed prices on the paint), but they do not have the obligation to lower your price.

In the opposite case, if you ordered a white car in February, when it was $500 cheaper, you would not expect them to raise your price just because it was built more recently, after the price increase. They would have made a commitment to sell you a white car at the originally agreed upon price.

It couldn't hurt to ask, but keep in the back of your mind that you are not entitled to the lower price.
Yes, I am leaning more towards denying delivery and wait for Aug build. I have wait 2 and half years.... .Don't mind waiting another 2 to 4 months.

My take on the paint price is that they increase the price because they added or improved something in paint process, So if I pay for this increase I should get it in my car. But on the flip side. Tesla never discloses why they are changing price. This could be just because they are looking to make profit.

Side note: I did see some painting robot video that they were going to implement.

I ordered my car on 17th August. Received call same evening saying car is ready. I live in EAST coast. I could not take the deliver because my loan was not ready and I was going on vacation for about 3 weeks. I came back and they assigned me VIN yesterday.

The VIN is 27k. Should I be worried?

Also, If I do take the deliver and this car was manufactured before August, will Tesla refund the extra 500 bucks that I paid for blue color which was 1k before August?
No we have 71xx and are still very happy 10,000 miles later.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Yes, I am leaning more towards denying delivery and wait for Aug build. I have wait 2 and half years.... .Don't mind waiting another 2 to 4 months.

My take on the paint price is that they increase the price because they added or improved something in paint process, So if I pay for this increase I should get it in my car. But on the flip side. Tesla never discloses why they are changing price. This could be just because they are looking to make profit.

Side note: I did see some painting robot video that they were going to implement.

The paint robot actually is how they have been painting the cars from the beginning AFAIK.

https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_...pu/img/KxrMgRDOlaqsx5XR?format=jpg&name=small

Y'all are complaining about S/N's in the 20k+ range. I just got my VIN assigned for a LR RWD: 007xxx. I ran it through a VIN decoder and it says it's a 2018, but I have no manufacturing date. I got the delivery scheduled within a day of placing the reservation. Makes me wonder if this is old stock.

I'm definitely concerned about the battery having sat in a discharged state. When I took delivery of my 2013 Leaf, it had been sitting. The battery was at 95% SoH with only 10 miles on the odo!

Y'all are complaining about S/N's in the 20k+ range. I just got my VIN assigned for a LR RWD: 007xxx. I ran it through a VIN decoder and it says it's a 2018, but I have no manufacturing date. I got the delivery scheduled within a day of placing the reservation. Makes me wonder if this is old stock.

I'm definitely concerned about the battery having sat in a discharged state. When I took delivery of my 2013 Leaf, it had been sitting. The battery was at 95% SoH with only 10 miles on the odo!

This is the third account this week of a very low vin. It would seem that Tesla is clearing out some older cars, converting inventory to cash. These could be reworked, could be delivery rejects, could be unallocated configurations (not so likely), could be ???. These cars are not going to be scrapped, so someone will end up with them.

You can kick the can down the road, and let someone else take the "risk", but waiting for the next new RWD production run could mean cutting it close for the tax credit. Tesla's production focus is currently on dual motor cars.

A 2017 model year could devalue the car for resale. Old seats are something tangible that you would feel. Battery damage due to improper maintenance could be costly. Otherwise, it has a warranty. If the original defect is undetectable, rejecting it based on build date alone is hard to defend.

Reactions: voip-ninja

Sorry to hear that. Your VIN is way lower than mine. Battery in SoC is one of my major concerns as well. I know Tesla will fix it any problem comes up within warranty, but I don't want to waste time on calling and going to Tesla service centers and rental cars.

So the question is, do I refuse delivery. Especially if it has gen 1 seats. That may be enough for me to refuse the delivery. I'm going to write my DS to see if I can get the details about the MFG date, charge records, and whether or not it has Gen 1 seats.

Reactions: spesler
So the question is, do I refuse delivery. Especially if it has gen 1 seats. That may be enough for me to refuse the delivery. I'm going to write my DS to see if I can get the details about the MFG date, charge records, and whether or not it has Gen 1 seats.
My DS could not provide me any information as far as MFG is concerned which I think is BS. I call my delivery center and asked them to go to the car physically to check the date and call me back. It has been about 1 hr and have not received call back. I understand they are busy, so will give them couple hours before I call them back

But If you find another way of finding MFG details, let me know.

My DS said I can tell him to rematch me with another VIN if I want to prior to delivery time. You maybe able to do that.