Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LOW VIN!!! Should I be concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me clear this up. I work for Tesla. We do not build sequentially. I have seen a 53xxx VIN with a 97xxx VIN in front of it on the production line.

How those 13xx or 70xx VIN's are getting mixed in this late, I don't know. That's lazy OA if you ask me.

I asked my delivery advisor for the Monroney of the 70xx VIN. It confirmed my worst fear: it was manufactured in March. That means no improved windshield, and gen 1 seats. I slept on it then rejected the next day after getting some second opinions. I'm sure the car was a fine car, but it just didn't sit well with me and I couldn't shake the feeling. I asked my delivery advisor to change my configuration from metallic silver to any color other than black in order to reschedule faster. They matched me with a MSM RWD with a 40xxx VIN. This is around the time when the VINs stopped matching production date, ~June or later. I will accept this VIN.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I asked my delivery advisor for the Monroney of the 70xx VIN. It confirmed my worst fear: it was manufactured in March. That means no improved windshield, and gen 1 seats. I slept on it then rejected the next day after getting some second opinions. I'm sure the car was a fine car, but it just didn't sit well with me and I couldn't shake the feeling. I asked my delivery advisor to change my configuration from metallic silver to any color other than black in order to reschedule faster. They matched me with a MSM RWD with a 40xxx VIN. This is around the time when the VINs stopped matching production date, ~June or later. I will accept this VIN.
Was it 70xx or 78xx?

Build order isn’t designated by region either. VINs are assigned in batches. The VIN designates trim, options, etc. Batches are built on the line based on demand, availability of parts, etc.
The reason I was asking is because I ordered my car in Mid August and they keep on giving me June built car. I live in EAST coast. This person got August built car and I am trying see if he got this due to his location being some where near freemont or the car configuration.

The reason I was asking is because I ordered my car in Mid August and they keep on giving me June built car. I live in EAST coast. This person got August built car and I am trying see if he got this due to his location being some where near freemont or the car configuration.

Most likely getting a June built car based on the configuration you chose. It matches something that is readily available, hence the June built car.

They match the configuration to location. If a car matching your configuration is locally available, here it is. By modifying your configuration, that can change your build date in theory.

Can I ask why you want something built so recently?

Most likely getting a June built car based on the configuration you chose. It matches something that is readily available, hence the June built car.

They match the configuration to location. If a car matching your configuration is locally available, here it is. By modifying your configuration, that can change your build date in theory.

Can I ask why you want something built so recently?
Couple of reason. I want to ensure that any changes done between June and August is included. Second reason is that I paid 500 extra for blue and 200 extra for destination charges when it went up in August. So any changes done in color that increased the price, I want to insure i get it. (most likely they did not change any quality in color, they just raised it to make profit)

I did tell them if they would take 700 off my price, i will take June built delivery. They said NO of course.

My P3D- VIN was in the low 60s when other's were getting VINs in 100s which had me worried but when I saw the car the door sticker said it was built in September. So you really don't know until you get the manufacture date from Tesla or look at the door sticker.
Yes, I don't care about the VIN number. I care about what the manufacturing date is. My delivery specilist did not know who to obtain that besides physically looking at the car, so I taught him how to look for it by simply looking at the top right of the Monroney sticket which they have access to.

Couple of reason. I want to ensure that any changes done between June and August is included. Second reason is that I paid 500 extra for blue and 200 extra for destination charges when it went up in August. So any changes done in color that increased the price, I want to insure i get it. (most likely they did not change any quality in color, they just raised it to make profit)

I did tell them if they would take 700 off my price, i will take June built delivery. They said NO of course.

There is 0 difference in paint quality when the price changed. It was done to affect line throughput. Whatever your price was when you ordered is the price Tesla has to honor. If you’re getting info other than that, take it up the chain.

As far as other build differences between June and August, I’m not aware of any. The seats, back glass, all happened around May if I recall.

I’d suggest that if you get a June or newer car, take delivery. You’ll be surprised at how much you will love this car. The perceived difference in value because of a production change here or there is insignificant. Enjoy it.

There is 0 difference in paint quality when the price changed. It was done to affect line throughput. Whatever your price was when you ordered is the price Tesla has to honor. If you’re getting info other than that, take it up the chain.

As far as other build differences between June and August, I’m not aware of any. The seats, back glass, all happened around May if I recall.

I’d suggest that if you get a June or newer car, take delivery. You’ll be surprised at how much you will love this car. The perceived difference in value because of a production change here or there is insignificant. Enjoy it.
Yes, I am considering taking delivery. I am really not in hurry to get

Yes, considering the options... Plus I am not in hurry as long as i get it before Dec 31st.

We have #914, it's definitely a rework, you can see paint marker on some parts with the frunk removed. I don't think it is anything to be terribly concerned about!

Early build, yes. A rework, not always the case. Open up any other brands production car and you can see paint marker. It’s used for a variety of things (to mark bolts that are torqued) in regular auto production. Doesn’t necessarily indicate a rework or anything to be worried about.

Reactions: neroden
Early build, yes. A rework, not always the case. Open up any other brands production car and you can see paint marker. It’s used for a variety of things (to mark bolts that are torqued) in regular auto production. Doesn’t necessarily indicate a rework or anything to be worried about.
Sure.... The car was waiting since, approximately, December to be sold. Because... no demand, I guess :)

The poster never stated when they received that car.

And not entirely sure what that has to do with my comment. But I can ensure you it has nothing to do with demand. :)
I agree with @cfttester. Why some of this vehicles still have not been sold even tho there is really high demand on both sides. Tesla was trying to sell as many cars as possible by end of Sep and a lot of customers were waiting to get car for past couple of years.

I understand they built some inventory cars back in June/July, but I would assume that they would have sold those by now. I mean they did have that walk-in sale at freemont few months ago.