Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low Voltage Lithium-ion Negative Terminal Location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, does anyone know where the negative terminal is for the new lithium-ion low voltage battery?
BEA64258-5801-4DEA-9BE7-A59C410E5EF5.jpeg

Generally when jumping a battery, you should connect the negative terminal of the jumper cable to the engine block (chassis ground) and never the battery. The main reason is that any spark that occurs will be well away from the battery (where there can be hydrogen gas).

Edit: Note that this technique is for ICE vehicles. That Tesla does not recommend using an EV as a source for jump starting another car, I wouldn't do it.

Last edited:
Hello, does anyone know where the negative terminal is for the new lithium-ion low voltage battery? View attachment 805829
I have an LED Frunk light kit that requires it to be connected to positive 12v and ground. It assumes my Model Y has the old lead acid battery and terminals. I can't figure out how to connect the terminals with the battery shown in this post. The positive is there but I can't see where I can connect the negative (ground). Any suggestions?

I have an LED Frunk light kit that requires it to be connected to positive 12v and ground. It assumes my Model Y has the old lead acid battery and terminals. I can't figure out how to connect the terminals with the battery shown in this post. The positive is there but I can't see where I can connect the negative (ground). Any suggestions?
Just look at the Owner’s Manual Instructions For Transporters.

I don’t know whether it is appropriate for a permanent connection, but for jumping the manual recommends:

42332004-5407-47C2-B001-5628F24EB1C3.png

Again for a permanent connection you’d probably try something different - hard to know. Maybe a nut on the bolt (I don’t have this car so hard to know what this looks like and what is possible). Take a picture and post it…did an image search and didn’t see anything obviously capturing this bolt.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwilliams