Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lower and lower miles.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jeffro01 Whoa... less than a year and 90% at 247? Can you say that is a defect and have the SC replace the battery? I'm at 255 at 90% with my 90D. I've driven a little over 14k miles and took delivery 3/14/16
I'm at 246 at 90% charge on my 90D with a little over 15k miles.

Several people have reported being told by their service tech that Tesla is working on a software fix to report the correct range on the 90D packs, but who knows if that will ever get released.

So, I got it down to about 18% then did a trip charge to 100%. Seemed to work as it said my rated miles was 294. Interesting though, I drive it to work and ended up having a late job so I drive my 2015 GMC 2500 home and left the tesla at my office. (I was covered in mud and didn't want it to get all over my tesla.) Leaving the tesla at my office at 204 miles at 8 am yesterday, not plugged in, when I got in it today after work, at 5 pm, it was at 193. What causes 11 miles to go away in 30 hours or so? Is that normal? It was like 110 degrees during the day.

It's hot out here! When I got mine, I was worried something was wrong because the car seemed to have a fan running even when it shouldn't have. but everything i read pointed to the fact that it cools the battery when it gets hot. So sitting in a parking lot in Arizona in summer time will have that fan running periodically and eat up power.

@jeffro01 Whoa... less than a year and 90% at 247? Can you say that is a defect and have the SC replace the battery?

omg.. that degradation is crazy... i did not expect that the before the first year mark.

Replace the battery? Seriously? Calculating electrons in a lithium ion battery is not an easy thing to do. It's not like a float in a gas tank. Algorithms are required and Tesla is constantly updating its algorithms for the newer batteries -- but even so it does take a complete discharge and full 100% charge to get a more precise reading. The irony in that is that draining a battery real low, and cramming a lithium ion battery with electrons to its capacity, is exactly what degrades the cathode, more so the longer you leave it that way. Now 100% isn't really 100%, and 0% isn't really 0%, since Tesla wants these batteries to last and not brick. But even so, I'd just set the slider in the daily driving range and enjoy the car and not worry about the battery. When you do need 100%, do it, time it so you drive it soon after it reaches 100%, and don't worry about it. I don't see any need to charge to 100% on a new car just to read its full capacity. You'll know at 80 or 90% readings if there's anything wrong with your battery's capacity.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I haven't pressed the issue with the service center at all, haven't even brought it up as a concern yet... Truth be told I'm not sure really what good it would do me. The battery isn't defective as it's been holding steady at the 247/248 number for awhile now and I'm convinced there is a difference (well now we "know" there's likely one for that matter) between the battery in my 90D and the one found in the current 90D which is likely a software limited 100D... Depending on how Tesla is handling the software, that would account for the discrepancy I'm "seeing"...

It's one of those things that I'm not really sure how to handle, or whether there is an actual problem... Given my experience with Tesla service to date, I'm not going to waste my time complaining about this... It's just too much of a hassle to deal with the overloaded local service center on damn near anything anymore... Tesla service, at least for me in the area that I live in, is a total joke. Month long lead times, car that sits there for days before it's even looked at, etc... What's the point?

Jeff

I haven't pressed the issue with the service center at all, haven't even brought it up as a concern yet... Truth be told I'm not sure really what good it would do me. The battery isn't defective as it's been holding steady at the 247/248 number for awhile now and I'm convinced there is a difference (well now we "know" there's likely one for that matter) between the battery in my 90D and the one found in the current 90D which is likely a software limited 100D... Depending on how Tesla is handling the software, that would account for the discrepancy I'm "seeing"...

It's one of those things that I'm not really sure how to handle, or whether there is an actual problem... Given my experience with Tesla service to date, I'm not going to waste my time complaining about this... It's just too much of a hassle to deal with the overloaded local service center on damn near anything anymore... Tesla service, at least for me in the area that I live in, is a total joke. Month long lead times, car that sits there for days before it's even looked at, etc... What's the point?

Jeff
Even though I agree they probably won't do anything about it, it's worth a detailed email to them for two reasons: 1) the more they hear about it the more likely they are to fix it 2) it establishes in writing your advising them of the issue in case there is something wrong.

Bringing this back alive..... now at 25,810 miles
Battery has been loosing more lately. This time I drove it to 2% then to 100% twice, no change. So, drive it to empty again and really watched my driving while driving it down. Speed limit every where, even did a tone if i go over speed. It was showing since last charge: 170.3 miles, 50.00 kw used, 294 wh/mi 7% (19) miles left.

Connected to the charger all day, 34 amps, showing 90% soc now, 226 miles estimated, 249 rated, 311 ideal.

Thoughts? I have a service appointment set up for next week.

Bringing this back alive..... now at 25,810 miles
Battery has been loosing more lately. This time I drove it to 2% then to 100% twice, no change. So, drive it to empty again and really watched my driving while driving it down. Speed limit every where, even did a tone if i go over speed. It was showing since last charge: 170.3 miles, 50.00 kw used, 294 wh/mi 7% (19) miles left.

Connected to the charger all day, 34 amps, showing 90% soc now, 226 miles estimated, 249 rated, 311 ideal.

Thoughts? I have a service appointment set up for next week.

I was told by a head Tesla tech who was also a former engineer to charge the car at a supercharger to 100%. Takes extra time as it slows down considerably from 95-100%. There are various individual cells in each cell block which could be faulty and if even one battery cell goes, the entire block won't provide optimal discharge. The way to essentially reset the cells is to run the high voltage charge to 100% so that every single cell is recharged. Prior to this I was getting 255 miles on my 90D continently and afterwards back up to 267/268. I guess his logic was sound?

So, just got back to the office where the car is charging. It quit charging at 96% and said charge complete. I double checked it and it was set to 100%. then I went to unplug and re plug in the charger cable to the car. The ring was flashing colors, Im color blind but it was like green and orange and another color, not a blue or red. Its sitting at 268 rated rated miles, 244 estimated and 336 ideal. .

Are you heading to Tempe for your service appointment? Curious what they will say. I picked up a 2014 S85 CPO about a month ago and charged it to "100%" the first night. It capped at 256 miles (listed 265 max) so I thought it lost 9 miles over 3 years. Not bad. I took it on a long drive and actually made it 271 miles so I wasn't worried about it. Thinking what the Az heat can do to batteries and reading your story makes me nervous though.

I am going to Tempe. I'll update when I get it back. It's weird that it won't charge past 96% now.

EDIT: Just got an update this morning. 2017.34 2448cfc

Now it's charging again. 300 estimated, 281 rated 350 ideal. Should be 294 rated correct? On a 90D. So, in 1 year, 26k (almost) miles, I lose 13 mikes? Seems like a lot to lose.

Last edited:
In my experience, the range shown on the instrument cluster will change depending if Range Mode is on or off. Sometimes it's just a mile or two, sometimes more. Not sure what determines the difference. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Reportedly (and I am being upfront I cannot name that source because it did not want to be named) new chemistry (meaning when 90kWh packs were introduced) degrade a lot more and don't have the plateu in degradation of old style pre-chemistry change packs.

This was discovered using artificial testing and so the real world results seems to be coming in now at least.

Note that Tesla does not consider degradation a defect, so unless you are able to demonstrate that there's a bad module in play or some such, there's no help from Tesla for you.

I am not happy to be the bearer of the bad news because I am also going to be affected by this in due time.

Also if you are considering a P85 CPO vs P90 CPO, know that P85 will actually have more capacity than P90 if it does not yet.

After 100% charge. Did better than the time before, but still feels like I should get way more miles. Driving very conservative, made a lot of people mad even from driving so slow, in Range mode even. 90d boasting 294 miles on a charge, 26k miles, just over a year old, should get more than this right?

Attachments

• 20170903_155024.jpg
    20170903_155024.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 41
After 100% charge. Did better than the time before, but still feels like I should get way more miles. Driving very conservative, made a lot of people mad even from driving so slow, in Range mode even. 90d boasting 294 miles on a charge, 26k miles, just over a year old, should get more than this right?
I think you go at it in a rather roundabout way that's very error prone (As we do not know if all consumption sources ae measured in that wh/mi displayed).
If you switch to rated miles and then just multiply by ratedWhMile value for your car, you'll know remaining battery capacity +-~300Wh (since the car does round up fractional values). So if you do a 100% charge (not that I advocate doing that now) you'll know 100% capacity as imagined by the car.
If you do the same at say 80% and then divide the result by 0.8 you can deduce 100% capacity too though error margin would be a bit more.