TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Lower charging rate after V10?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Bored7one4, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Bored7one4

Bored7one4 Member

I only get 7kW 30/40A when charging at home now after the V10 update. Using NEMA 14-50 with gen 1 mobile charger I use to get 10kW and 40/40A.

any ideas?

Remote S shows I get about 23 mph when i just to be around 29-30 mph

2. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Well-Known Member

Yes, the exact 3/4 of the normal current shows what this issue is. It doesn't have to do with v10 software, though. That would just be a coincidence. When ramping up the current, the car looks for a large amount of voltage drop, which might indicate a bad/loose connection in the circuit that could create a dangerous hot spot, fire, etc. So if the car sees too much voltage drop, it will cut to 3/4 of the regular current level and see if the voltage level is stable enough, which it usually is. There was probably some voltage sag for some reason that may even be related to some random dip in your neighborhood connections that affected multiple houses. You are welcome to go on the charging screen in the car and turn the amps back up to 40. If it does it another time or two, though, you should probably check the wiring connections in the circuit to make sure you don't have a problem there. Or, you could also not go quite as high with the amps. If you go in the mid-30's, it will probably not trigger that safety lowering and is still faster than 30. I generally recommend against using 40A all the time with those gen1 mobile connectors anyway, as they do get pretty hot at that maximum level. I've been running more like 31-32 amps for 5+ years to help the long term life of my cable.

3. Bored7one4

Bored7one4 Member

thanks I will check that out. very helpful

4. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

You didn't state what your starting voltage is before ramping up and what it is at whatever max amps you eventually flatten out at.