Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lower financing in canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone knows if Scotia will be lowering the Tesls car loan rate now that the bank of canada has lowered their overnight key lending rate? Mortgages & LOC are dropping. Our US friends have it really good with ultra low rates. Would be nice if we could benefit from a rate drop on car loans as well. I know it already previously dropped to 3.99%. But I feel We are due.

Tesla just added Desjardins as a finance partner, they are doing 3.90% over 96 months.
Anyone financing for a term of 96 months is making a big mistake.
Long term financing has been a huge issue in the automotive business.
People chasing low payments by extending terms to 72, 84 and now 96 months.
The evidence is the average person only keeps their car for 36-48 months.
Then they have huge negative equity when they try to trade.

I'd like to see lower rates. Banks profits are doing splendidly fine. Bank of Canada expected to further lower by another .25% in March so it's time banks pass this on to consumers and stop hoarding their profits.

Last edited:
I agree that using your home equity line makes more sense - having had a loan on your car is always somewhat of a hassle when you go to sell it, particularly if you are selling before the loan is paid off.

The sad part is reading the financing rates people south of the border are getting and comparing them to ours :(
That said, I've never financed a car in the past, and I'm doing my best to avoid it this time too (though this is certainly a HUGE price jump from anything I've bought in the past)

• Informative
Reactions: global
I'm with @Jgdixon , financing a car for more than 60 months is insane. History has taught me that I get bored with my car after 3 years and I've been caught with negative equity before so I lease but only as long as I can cover any mileage overrage. I negotiated a reduced rate purchased in advance when I leased our Lincoln. Anything I don't use is refunded to me when I turn it in.

If you run a business, as I do, there are some tax advantages on a lease too.

A HELOC is an option but I'm loathe to jeopardize my home if something goes bad.

I'm with @Jgdixon , financing a car for more than 60 months is insane. History has taught me that I get bored with my car after 3 years and I've been caught with negative equity before so I lease but only as long as I can cover any mileage overrage. I negotiated a reduced rate purchased in advance when I leased our Lincoln. Anything I don't use is refunded to me when I turn it in.

If you run a business, as I do, there are some tax advantages on a lease too.

A HELOC is an option but I'm loathe to jeopardize my home if something goes bad.
I drive my vehicles until they fall apart, or in the case of my 29 year old Land Cruiser I roll it.

Right now i have Prime +0.25% on my Home equity Line. (3.25%) Does Tesla or anyone else not offer anything less than that? I'm a bit shocked. I guess i can't use the HELOC for a lease though.