Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lower VIN Assigned? Lower Quality? More Problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to ask you guys for your honest opinion. Just 3 weeks ago I was assigned a VIN (48xx), but was not able to take delivery during that time. Fast forward to today, I was assigned another VIN (16xx). I was honestly a bit surprised to see such a lower VIN, especially when I'm seeing other people getting VINs in the 10xxx+

So I like to get everyone's thoughts on this low VIN. I imagine it was pre Fremont shutdown. Should I be worried about quality? Wondering if this was just sitting on their lot, or worse yet, rejected by a previous customer? I could be wrong, but I don't think I read anything about Telsa adding or improving their MY in the later VINs right?

Do I have any cause for concern?

Thanks.

I think we need to make a sticky thread on this forum letting everyone know that VINs are non sequential. Someone posted literal vin #1, and it had a build date of May (post shutdown). So the absolute first VIN number went to a car which was produced after thousands of other cars. VIN numbers don't matter. Go inspect your car and hopefully enjoy it.

Lower vin will not matter, from what I’ve been reading the same issues still persists since Lower 3 digit vins like mine to the 5 digit Ones currently around. At this point is more practical to concentrate on delivery day inspection and documentation. To either accept or decline unit.
Else wait till later in the year as they improve a bit more on their flow and process. The ramp up and usual lack of Q/C is the damn issue. ‍♂️

Reactions: NY_Rob
I suspect VINs are random, or I hope they are. As of today I'm on my third VIN. First was 00371x for a 05/15/20 delivery. Tesla declined to delivery vehicle because it didn't pass local SC inspection. Second was 0110xx for a 06/16/20 delivery. I found a number of issues with vehicle and Tesla manager told me to decline delivery. The third 0037xx was assigned to me last night/this morning. Odd this is the latest MVPA says 23 miles on vehicle where the first two had 15 miles. Who knows...

... At this point is more practical to concentrate on delivery day inspection and documentation. To either accept or decline unit.
Exactly... give it a good once over... twice :D

Luckily, most of the issues we've seen have been "cosmetic" and can be corrected. How far are you from a SC, will a visit there cause you a day's work? For some that is a big consideration, for others (retired, etc..) that's not a cause for concern.

1. As others have said, VINs at this point don’t correlate with build date. A VIN from 0000x to 19xxx at this point could have build dates from 03/2020 to 06/2020.
2. Based on Sandy Munro’s tear down vs. much of the post-shutdown customer reports, build quality may even be better on average for pre-shutdown build dates.

With all the known quality issues, I wonder if it's Corporate's fault in releasing the cars to the delivery centers, or if it's the delivery center's fault of not fully inspecting the cars prior to scheduling pickup?

With all the known quality issues, I wonder if it's Corporate's fault in releasing the cars to the delivery centers, or if it's the delivery center's fault of not fully inspecting the cars prior to scheduling pickup?
Both, the car the SC tried to deliver me yesterday still had white tape on the inside right next to a big hole in the console. Not like the tape was hidden nor the hole.