Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lower your VLF by daying purchase of Ludicrous until after sale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
In CA, your yearly VLF is based on your purchase price. If you intend to get Ludicrous, why not wait and add it right after you buy the car so that the $10K is not included in your VLF every year?

Really wish you could edit the title after posting :(

Simple. Financing. 1.74% vs cash

Like it!

So if you don't finance it, any good reason to pay for it up front? 4 years of depreciation leaving 51% of the residual over 4 years means that extra $10K costs you $590 over 4 years.

If you do finance it, the 2% VLF on the purchase price minus the depreciation over the life of the loan looks like it will be nearly a wash with current interest rates.

If upgrading right after you buy the car, then it comes down to if you're paying cash and removing that asset from something that is making more than 1.74% vs financing it at a higher rate than you could get on a new car loan.

And don't forget the possibility that financing the extra $10K could push you into a higher loan rate. I have part of my P85D financed at 1.24% with DCU. I would have done the whole thing if I could have gotten the same rate.

Last edited:
I did not think that the Ludicrous option was available after delivery. I thought that was just something Tesla did for P85D owners that just missed the P90Ds. I don't see it as something that can be done after delivery on the design page. I have seen this suggested for the options that are allowed after delivery like AP and the charger upgrade, as well as the ESP and pre-paid service.

I did not think that the Ludicrous option was available after delivery. I thought that was just something Tesla did for P85D owners that just missed the P90Ds. I don't see it as something that can be done after delivery on the design page. I have seen this suggested for the options that are allowed after delivery like AP and the charger upgrade, as well as the ESP and pre-paid service.

It's a $10K software upgrade for the P90D unlike the P85D which also required a hardware upgrade. i.e. All P90Ds are actually Ludicrous cars software limited to Insane.