Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowered my car this morning with adjustable links: Key steps that ensure precision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He is some data from a MB suspension lowering module
New Page 1

You can use resistors to bias the results but keep in mind that one side must be biased "up" in voltage while the other "down" :)

That right there tells me, as I suspected, the left/right design of the sensor is not perfectly mirrored for the internals... And is the reason why adjusting the mechanical link is the easiest way to go.

• Informative
Reactions: mrbruin2k
We are going to be twins next month at Reach the Beach, as my 85D just arrived today (I'll pick it up in a few days) and it is also red. Granted there are bound to be other red cars there, of course. I ordered a set of the same links today on you recommendation-- though these are the same source I used for my prior 2013 Audi S6. Mark is a great guy! Looking forward to getting these on the car as swiftly as possible.

What is your car, an 85? I'll be curious to see how my measurements compare to yours, as I'd really love the exact same ride height. I wonder if my links (OE arms) will be the same length as yours or not. If I pull them out to find them same as yours I'll probably end up with a similar drop number. I'll most likely just reply here versus a brand new thread, for benefit of other readers and a consolidated source of information.

:)

I ordered a set for my P85. My goal is not for appearance sake; I just want to eliminate the added 3/4 of an inch at the low suspension setting that was added as a "safety measure" after two Model S suffered battery damage after running over metal objects in the road. The firmware change satisfied NHTSA and allowed Tesla to avoid an official recall. Prior to that change, I recall being able to feel a noticeable improvement in stability when my car hunkered down to its low setting on the highway. I experienced a similar stability improvement a decade ago when I lowered my Ferrari F355 by only 1/2 inch! It doesn't take much.

Unlike Tesla's software change which only affected the low setting, these links will reduce the ride height at all of the suspension settings. That's fine with me. A small handling improvement at the standard setting will be nice for around-town driving. The good thing about air suspension is that the smoothness of the ride will not change due to lowering.

Last edited:
I got my lowering links from iamsohi on the forums about a year or so ago and I couldn't be happier. I also had the issue where the driver's side seemed to sit lower then the passenger side so I was able to "level" it off. I think I went a bit lower then artsci but with the suspension auto raising based on location.

I set my links to lower the car to the old low when in normal and my low is what you see below:

IMG_20140223_171208.jpg

IMG_20140223_171133.jpg

So you've got about 4" ground clearance in normal, and 3.6" in low? I was thinking something similar, about 3.75" when in low... I should have mine by Friday. Can't wait! I got mine on ebay for 150AUD/148$ CAD... They're not as fancy as the ones artsci got upthread but should do the trick just fine I imagine.

I got my lowering links from iamsohi on the forums about a year or so ago and I couldn't be happier. I also had the issue where the driver's side seemed to sit lower then the passenger side so I was able to "level" it off. I think I went a bit lower then artsci but with the suspension auto raising based on location.

I set my links to lower the car to the old low when in normal and my low is what you see below:

Is it just me that is scratching my head on why these cost $200? I might have thought 20% of that price might be about right. They carry no load and are essentially off-the-shelf hardware.

Please correct me if I am clueless :)

Is it just me that is scratching my head on why these cost $200? I might have thought 20% of that price might be about right. They carry no load and are essentially off-the-shelf hardware.

You are quite right, they are a bit (a LOT) overpriced in the general scheme of how they work. You could easily go to a catalog site such as McMaster-Carr or Grainger and buy the same hardware for probably 20% of the listed price. But you'd have to do the legwork yourself to spec of the right parts, length, ball socket diameter, etc. If you do that, you can save a lot of money. Also for some cars the links need to offset a suspension piece, not the case on Tesla, but in those cases letting someone else R&D has some added value.

There was a post by lolachampcar about this (the build your own DIY)... and I -almost- went that route. But decided to be lazy and buy the same links everyone else snags ;)

We are going to be twins next month at Reach the Beach, as my 85D just arrived today (I'll pick it up in a few days) and it is also red. Granted there are bound to be other red cars there, of course. I ordered a set of the same links today on you recommendation-- though these are the same source I used for my prior 2013 Audi S6. Mark is a great guy! Looking forward to getting these on the car as swiftly as possible.

What is your car, an 85? I'll be curious to see how my measurements compare to yours, as I'd really love the exact same ride height. I wonder if my links (OE arms) will be the same length as yours or not. If I pull them out to find them same as yours I'll probably end up with a similar drop number. I'll most likely just reply here versus a brand new thread, for benefit of other readers and a consolidated source of information.

:)

It's very likely the link lengths are the same.

It will be great to see you there. Mine is a P85. I keep thinking about the 85D but I have so much time and effort invested in the car I have that the thought of trading it in is very difficult to even consider.

Hi Guys.

My name is Mark Wells and I am the owner of Airmatic Lowering Link and I would like to thank the members of this great forum for purchasing lowering kits from both our Original and Evolution ranges.

If I can offer any advice or assistance please feel free to contact me through this thread or directly by sending me a PM.

I use Skype to make inexpensive international calls so I would be happy to call you to discuss the lowering your car or just for a chat about cars in general.

With regards to the difference between our Original and Evolution kits please consider the following -

Our new Evolution lowering kits have been designed to address all the short comings of our competitors lesser quality kits and to offer greater benefits over our original kits.

We believe our new Evolution kits are the greatest engineered, easiest to install, most durable, safest, most functional kits available today and priced competitively.

The Evolution lowering kits have been designed to include the following features and benefits -

• Easy installation takes 45 minutes to 1 hour
• No need to remove to adjust saving time on installation and making adjustments
• Black zinc coated bars and ball joints are up to 45x more corrosion resistant than other kits
• Additional retaining clips for greater safety.
• Can be adjusted to achieve OEM ride height.
• Specially designed billet aluminium adjusters with ‘grip-it’ knurled sections
• Stainless steel nuts and clips to increase durability and longevity.
• Stake pressed threads to securely attach static ball joints to the linkage bars

The price of the kit includes FedEx's 24hr Priority delivery service to the US, Canada and Europe and Royal Mail next day deliver to the UK.

We do understand that there are some very capable, engineering minded DIY'ers out there that could create at home something resembling one of our original lowering kits using parts from a hardware store but it would be extremely difficult to produce our Evolution kits as each component is specially make to out exact design.

Our kits save our customers the time and effort it takes to design, collate and create a kit that will hopefully work and due to our super-fast shipping arrangement with FedEx customers in the US & Canada can expect to receive a kit with 24hr-48hrs (working hours) from the point they place their order.

The cost to create our kits is not governed by the cost of the parts alone and I would ask you to please consider the following additional costs that we incur -

eBay charges
PayPal Charge
Shipping charges
Corporation Tax
Value added tax
Website costs
Phone and Email Support
Premises rent & rates
Lighting & heating
Research and development
Wages
Etc. etc.

We take pride in our kits and aim to provide you with the very best customer service both before and after the installation.

Perfectly Engineered Feature and Benefits.jpg

Reactions: bwherry
It's very likely the link lengths are the same. It will be great to see you there. Mine is a P85. I keep thinking about the 85D but I have so much time and effort invested in the car I have that the thought of trading it in is very difficult to even consider.

Yes, looking forward to a weekend getaway for sure! Work has been crazy - with just small breaks taken here or there for lunch and some forum reading. :)

I'm with you on the "cost in" for trading. I knew when I got my car I'd want an 85D down the road, and really planned to wait longer. Especially given the money I sunk into the silver car (modified the shocks to sit lower, painted calipers red, tint, etc). But doing it a 2nd time just means I learned from my experiences. I hope I can get my list of "mods" done before Reach the Beach. Wish me luck LOL

Hi Guys. My name is Mark Wells and I am the owner of Airmatic Lowering Link and I would like to thank the members of this great forum for purchasing lowering kits from both our Original and Evolution ranges.

Mark- welcome to the forums. My links arrived today with the free overnight shipping promised! I'm waiting to hear back from my local shop as to when I can have these installed. My time doesn't permit me to DIY, plus I want to have the shop install the EVSE rear upper control arms that will help correct the camber issues from lowering the car as much as I intend. I'll post some photos once the work is completed in the coming week or two. Ciao!

Hi Guys

Rick and Todd have raised a concern about the length of the front 'Evolution' adjusters and the provided adapters as a result I have withdrawn the product from both eBay and our Website.

I will be work with Rick, Todd and Ari to address the matter and find a solution which I initially believe will achieved by producing a shorter adjuster which would negate the need for the adapter.

After discussions yesterday with our employed engineering company I have furnished them with the design for the new adjusters which they have suggested they can produce within four weeks.

I will be sending the amended front adapters FOC to the guys above for their review, testing and approval.

As a company that prides itself on producing the best kits on the market we will ensure this matter is resolved quickly and efficiently.

Please do not hesitate to contact me regarding this matter.

Kind regards

Mark