Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowered standard Suspension Model S review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What did it cost you to do that? I purchased the air suspension so I could lower my car as needed, and it gets low, but also raise it higher than a Honda crosstour when needed. Just curious what you paid. I did that to a Mercedes I once owned and vowed to never drastically lower a car again after driving it for a while. It didn't matter how careful or slow or angled I was there were several places that would scrape front or back without fail.

Awesome write-up. I too have been looking to lower my car on standard suspension, but know the ramifications to the tire life if I did. I don't think I would cut any additional coils, but worried about getting it aligned correctly. Would these links be all that I need to get the rear properly aligned if I lowered it on the Tsportline springs? I'm also running 21s.

As far as I know, the Model S rear camber is not adjustable. So yes, these adjustable links that Edmond posted should be your fix. And honestly, if you just lower it with the T Sportline springs with no cut, your negative camber won't be that bad at all. Not great, but not bad. The springs only lower the car slightly under an inch. Here is a pic of my car with 1.5 coils cut on the rear. And here is also a comparison pic of the spring intact and with 1.5 coils cut.
42212.jpeg
42136.jpeg
42212.jpeg

As far as I know, the Model S rear camber is not adjustable. So yes, these adjustable links that Edmond posted should be your fix. And honestly, if you just lower it with the T Sportline springs with no cut, your negative camber won't be that bad at all. Not great, but not bad. The springs only lower the car slightly under an inch. Here is a pic of my car with 1.5 coils cut on the rear. And here is also a comparison pic of the spring intact and with 1.5 coils cut.View attachment 173978 View attachment 173979 View attachment 173978

Which photo is before and which is after? Hard to tell the difference ... does cutting 1.5 coils equal 1 inch lower?

5611cd999819af9e2553bbb532fa2c01-jpg.145604

Well for those who do care, you can buy an adjustable upper link for both rear sides from BBC Speed & Machine . (Newer cars have a ball on one end instead of both bushings) If you must get a fixed upper link, make it 0.21" longer. One way or t'other set that rear camber to -1.00 and rear toe to 0.15 -- and get 25k-30k out of normal tires, not to mention using 10%-20% less W/mile. (Front: -0.70 Camber, 3.55 Caster, -0.04 Toe) (Acknowledgement to lolachampcar)
image-jpeg.97125

All
Teslas come with way too much rear camber as it is, at least -1.50, and sometimes as high as -2.60 degrees, which accounts for the tire longevity problems. And an alignment from the SC is completely hit and miss, like they don't know what they're doing. And they won't align it with a lowering kit or an adjustable link anyway, so find an independent shop with an experienced hand on a laser aligner, give him these numbers, and pay their fee. It'll be like riding on rails thereafter.

Just because you haven't known what to do about it before, doesn't mean you should continue to blow it off. Senseless. And you kids get off my lawn!

Can you not buy these links anymore? Any current options for rear camber adjustment with a 2018 Model S?

Reactions: Fiddler
It's sad to see a $100,000 care with cut springs as the only means to lower it. That's stuff that performance guys would cringe at in other cars, but I guess there's really no choice in this situation. Cutting springs is what Ricers used to do back in the day, but even they've outgrown cutting springs.
And to do it right, you need a stronger/stiffer shock to controlled the stiffer and likely "bouncier" spring after being cut.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
With the battery pack underneath the car, there are increased risks of damaging the battery pack when lowering the car.

One of the early Model S cars ran over a tow hook, which punctured the battery pack - and caused a rapid battery fire destroying the car.

Tesla immediately disabled all of the air suspension systems to prevent drivers from lowering their cars (which air suspension cars can do above a user configurable speed). Tesla then modified the cars to add additional armor plating to the front to increase battery protection and retrofitted all of the existing cars, before re-enabling air suspension.

Even with the armor plating, there is increased risk of damaging the battery pack when running the car in a lowered position.

If this is with a non-Tesla suspension, that might invalidate any Tesla warranty on the battery pack, should there be damage from underneath.