Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowered with Unplugged lowering brackets. UPDATE: Problem Resolved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I did the install myself, as it is fairly easy. I not only installed them all once, I redid them to ensure I did it correctly on all points, since when I called them they said I may of installed them incorrectly. I am 100% sure they are installed correctly.

I almost thought it was fixed the 2nd time I installed them, as when I set it to standard it looked pretty close to how I wanted them, but as I started to walk away thinking it was done. The car lowers back to the same spot it was before on the first time I installed them :(

The pictures are in standard setting with the air suspension and the rears are way to low. I mean it I hear them rubbing.
The rears are tucking in and the fronts are where I was like them. It looks like I have 10 dead bodies in the truck with how much the rear is lower.

When I purchased these for $500 I was expecting it to be a easy install and set perfectly from pictures from their site. I am starting to really regret this and wish I went the cheaper opinion of the lowering links that you can adjust yourself, which I could correct easily.

Not only did I spend $500 on the brackets, I had to purchase all 4 new sensors for the air suspension, due to the rust on the screws, which if you don't spray a ton of WD-40 the rust will lock up the threads and the threads hooked to the plastic sensor will just spin with the screw, forever locking it in there. This makes it so you can't take the OEM brackets off the sensor. Even a new sensors from a Model S with 15K miles had the same problem.

I called Unplugged and they said it must be installed wrong, but I followed the instructions perfect and ensured it was correct. So far I feel like I wasted $500 on some brackets and $150 on new sensors. Glad I didn't pay the $350 a shop wanted to install these that Unplugged recommended, as I don't see how it would be any different.

Total time spent on this: 4 - 5 hours.

I am sorry to make a rant, but this has really bothered me and I free like this shouldn't be so hard.

Has anyone else here had the same problem with the UP brackets?

Also would anyone recommend some lowering links that they used and worked correctly?
REAR.jpg
Front.jpg

When you installed these did you set your air suspension to very high and turn on jack mode? I did some 3d printed lowering links instead but is even from front to back.

Last edited:
When you installed these did you set your air suspension to very high and turn on jack mode? I did some 3d printed lowering links instead but is even from front to back.

Yes I had it on very high and on jack mode before starting anything. I really wish I went with the lowering links now. Would of saved money and a ton of time. I am going to redo the backs again but put them on the standard spot and hopefully levels out the front and back. Again just trying to save everyone the headache I had with all of this...

Yes I had it on very high and on jack mode before starting anything. I really wish I went with the lowering links now. Would of saved money and a ton of time. I am going to redo the backs again but put them on the standard spot and hopefully levels out the front and back. Again just trying to save everyone the headache I had with all of this...

There was someone else on here, I cant remember who it was, but their air suspension was bugged and stuck in jack mode, they had to have service reset the ride height. If you end up having to do this make sure you remove the brackets otherwise they will reset it with the lowering brackets on and the ride height will be reset to the normal height even with them installed.

There was someone else on here, I cant remember who it was, but their air suspension was bugged and stuck in jack mode, they had to have service reset the ride height. If you end up having to do this make sure you remove the brackets otherwise they will reset it with the lowering brackets on and the ride height will be reset to the normal height even with them installed.

This wouldn't make sense though, as jack mode disables the air suspension, but it still auto lowers at speeds. I am going to install the rears on the stock setting and see what happens. I feel it will make it correct. I will update on how it goes.

Here is mine parked in standard height with the UP brackets installed. Wheel/tire combo is stock diameter.

I will say that the first set of brackets I got was missing the second set of holes drilled for the positioning of the screw, Normally they have two holes next to each other, one for "Stock" and one for "Lowered" mine only had one hole. I drove to their office (I live a few miles away) and they exchanged them for a good set.

Attachments

• IMG_20191109_083007_MP.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 88
Here is mine parked in standard height with the UP brackets installed. Wheel/tire combo is stock diameter.

I will say that the first set of brackets I got was missing the second set of holes drilled for the positioning of the screw, Normally they have two holes next to each other, one for "Stock" and one for "Lowered" mine only had one hole. I drove to their office (I live a few miles away) and they exchanged them for a good set.
Can you reload Image? Thanks

Gosh I figured it out and I am man enough to admit it when I am wrong. With me redoing it over and over I must of got sloppy and I had the rear left sensor arm point up and not down like the pictures. That fixed the problem and put it at the correct height in standard mode. I am very happy now with the results and the ride went back to smooth again and with no rubbing or harass ride.

• Informative
Reactions: serendipitous
Loving the gold wheels, what did you use to black out your trim/door handles?

Plasti Dip. I need to redo it after this winter, but the finished product looks amazing for $12 vs. $1200-$1500 for vinyl. Dipyourcar on youtube does a Tesla Model S, if you want to see how easy it is.

If you take your time it will come out looking perfect. I took my car into Tesla service and they commented on it and said it looks better than some vinyl jobs they seen and couldn't believe it was Plasti dip. I put a gloss finish at the end, since there is a Plasti dip that is gloss only.

Let me know if you have any questions.