Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering charge amps for Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they should let you slow it down if the supercharger isn't busy.
-avoid the car permanently lowering the SC rate from too much use, save the limited # of full speed charges for when you need them.
-avoid the peak rates in states that have 2 tier pricing - it's double price above 60 kW.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
-avoid the car permanently lowering the SC rate from too much use, save the limited # of full speed charges for when you need them.
-avoid the peak rates in states that have 2 tier pricing - it's double price above 60 kW.

It doesn't pass the "keep it simple" test. If people want a lower price, charge at home. Plus, the cost is 1/2 and the rate is 1/2. So not really saving anything. More importantly, never know if the charger will be busy in 20 minutes. Better to be full and out.

The urban Superchargers are kind of going in that directions. They are reduced power and are typically at malls where you spend more time. They are a hybrid between parking and charging. Tesla knows many people will use them on a regular basis so the reduced charge rate helps with battery longevity.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
I totally agree. Better for the battery in the long run. I wonder if there is any movement on having that option.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV and N..8
avoid the car permanently lowering the SC rate from too much use, save the limited # of full speed charges for when you need them.
Except for early 90kWh packs, there is no "limited # of full speed charges"
I totally agree. Better for the battery in the long run.
Not really. Even at 120kW, the charge rate is just not that fast relative to the battery's capacity. 1.4C @ 85kWh, less on larger packs. That's just not fast enough to worry about.