Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering charge current at supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
um.. no? The whole point of the idle fee is to have you not use more time on the charger than is necessary.

I guess >maybe< if you turned charging off for 4.5 minutes and then turned it back on, repeatedly, you might be able to extend charging without incurring idle fees. I'm not sure how Tesla handles intentional 'stop charging's at superchargers.

So I use an urban supercharger which takes about 90 minutes to go from 5 to 90% but sometimes I'm gone for like 3 hrs and get the idle fee. Is it ok to lower the charge current so it takes longer to charge and avoid the fee?

So you bought a $60,000 car and can't afford to pay for 90 mins of idle fees ($90)? Give me a break.
Superchargers aren't a parking spot where you can abandon your cars for hours. It's a place you charge and move on. Be courteous to others.

If you need to leave your car for hours, find a nearby destination charger / level 2 charging station.

This is correct you can't adjust the charge amperage on a supercharger. The car handles this and it's not adjustable.
I think that this applies to all EVs with fast charging ability. DC fast charging rate is not adjustable, it's determined by the car communicating with the charger to determine how much charge the car can handle. Level 2 is adjustable for the reason that some circuits may have a lower amp breaker and therefore reducing charge rate is needed not to trip the breaker.

Reactions: qman66
I think that this applies to all EVs with fast charging ability. DC fast charging rate is not adjustable, it's determined by the car communicating with the charger to determine how much charge the car can handle. Level 2 is adjustable for the reason that some circuits may have a lower amp breaker and therefore reducing charge rate is needed not to trip the breaker.
I think the Taycan allows you to slow the DC fast charging to extend the battery life.

So I use an urban supercharger which takes about 90 minutes to go from 5 to 90% but sometimes I'm gone for like 3 hrs and get the idle fee. Is it ok to lower the charge current so it takes longer to charge and avoid the fee?
You're learning very fast, please move your car as soon as you're done charging. Don't try to game the system or unplug the car but leave it there or anything.

I actually wish idle fees would spike up the longer you're there. 5 to 10 minute grace period, then one rate out to 30 minutes after your finished charging, then maybe double that rate for the next 30 minutes or something. Invest every penny of idle fees back into new superchargers.