Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering kit for a Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a Model X P90D and I'm already wanting less wheel well gap...thinking it's time to lower it. I've been lucky to own quite a few high-end performance cars over the years and I've modified every one from mild to extensive. I've never had air suspension though and obviously have no plans to track my model X, so this time lowering is just about aesthetics. Anyone have experience with this product from Unplugged Performance?

Sports Air Suspension Lowering Kit for Tesla Model X - Unplugged Performance

If so, I'd be very appreciative of advice.

Thanks

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy and Cowby
Sounds like all that kit does is reposition the ride height sensors. Seems pretty expensive for what probably amounts to a few pieces of metal, more or less. You would definitely need to get the car completely realigned. The camber is already far off enough to cause uneven tire wear on the very low setting, this looks to go an inch or two lower than that.

I'd bet if you had a suspension or drive train problem, Tesla wouldn't cover it, as the parts aren't designed to be operated at those angles. Most likely they will still cover the FWD's, interior and computers, etc.

Reactions: Big Earl
I've since decided not to lower my MX. Instead, I had the alignment adjusted while in the VERY LOW setting and figured I'd drive around like that for a while to see if I could live with the wheel gap being not great, but better. I was very pleased (and surprised) at how close to OEM alignment specs they were able to get even in that lowest setting. It's been 3-months now and I no longer have plans to lower it.

I pulled the trigger last night...had @UnpluggedP handle the install. So far so good.

Cheers Nicolas

Attachments

• IMG_2983.JPG
    IMG_2983.JPG
    611.8 KB · Views: 3,103
  • IMG_2984.JPG
    IMG_2984.JPG
    571.5 KB · Views: 1,340
  • IMG_2985.JPG
    IMG_2985.JPG
    581.8 KB · Views: 1,348
what Im confused about is why not use lowering links like the Model S? They are half the price and allow some flex into how much you lower it. The brackets being 500.00 seems really simple but more expensive - does the suspension not use links for the Model X?

Links work but the lowering bracket is a better solution. The links for the X in the front are so long to lower that they compromise the integrity of the system. There is much higher risk of them popping off their mount and having a failure. I would use the brackets - its a much cleaner system that just changes the mount position to get the same results.

Links work but the lowering bracket is a better solution. The links for the X in the front are so long to lower that they compromise the integrity of the system. There is much higher risk of them popping off their mount and having a failure. I would use the brackets - its a much cleaner system that just changes the mount position to get the same results.
Skills thanks. do you have experience with either one. Sounds like you may have done some research since August ?

Jchris and Nicolas, I would love to have your opinion . How much is the car lowered.? Also I have asked a couple tesla folks and they say that the car already has adjustable suspension, so why not just leave is on low? what would you say to that? Thanks!!

Jchris and Nicolas, I would love to have your opinion . How much is the car lowered.? Also I have asked a couple tesla folks and they say that the car already has adjustable suspension, so why not just leave is on low? what would you say to that? Thanks!!
I believe exact lowering specs are on their website. I go low over 55 and super low when parked because sometimes “low” just ain’t low enough.