Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering link issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P85 MS has aftermarket lowering links for the air suspension and the car sits about 1" lower than the factory low setting when at standard. I have aftermarket 22" ADV1 wheels as well. I have noticed a mild vibration from the rear under hard acceleration at freeway speeds. I took my car in for service and the service advisor thinks the lowering links have caused stress on the drive shafts; they noticed excessive play at the right rear CV joint. They want to replace the rear drive shaft for about $1800. They state that the lowering links voided the warranty for this issue.

Has anyone had similar issues or does this make sense?

I am thinking about holding off on the repair since the vibration is very mild.

1" lower than factory lowest setting? Yeah you can easily have pushed the CV's into the bearings, cups, etc on either or both ends. Because there is likely damage beyond just the CV axle expect to pay more than the $1800 quoted so far.

All this aside, it will only get worse until something breaks entirely. At that point it's how catastrophic will the failure be? Dropped the half-shaft in the driveway, oh well.. Dropped the half-shaft on the highway to get flung into your trunk or into someones windshield, whoops.

1" is a fair ways, so it does make sense, especially if you didn't mistype when you said that your STANDARD height is 1" below factory LOW height! (what's that make your low setting? touching the ground?)

And yes, if that is what happened, the warranty wouldn't cover it.

"Mild" is relative, it will likely get worse over time, but there's no easy way of telling how bad it needs to sound/feel before things break, you could be years away from a serious problem, or hanging on by the last thread.