Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering Links Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, just wanted to share that I installed bloc lowering links on my model x. Took a couple pics/videos that I hope to share. Didn't find much content on lowering links online, especially for the model x. Really easy! I say if you can change a tire you can install links. But you have to be patient to ensure the adjustable links are the correct length. Also removing the stock links require some patience.

Car is sitting really nice on low. The attached pic was right after I let the car adjust the first time. Over the day the car height increased a tiny bit but looks great.

Attachments

• A2F33AAC-F2B7-40BE-A17D-C8C38A5DE2D4.jpeg
    A2F33AAC-F2B7-40BE-A17D-C8C38A5DE2D4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1,516
Hey, just wanted to share that I installed bloc lowering links on my model x. Took a couple pics/videos that I hope to share. Didn't find much content on lowering links online, especially for the model x. Really easy! I say if you can change a tire you can install links. But you have to be patient to ensure the adjustable links are the correct length. Also removing the stock links require some patience.

Car is sitting really nice on low. The attached pic was right after I let the car adjust the first time. Over the day the car height increased a tiny bit but looks great.
Please tell us what bloc lowering links are and how they work. I appreciate the end result but how was it done? Thanks.

Please tell us what bloc lowering links are and how they work. I appreciate the end result but how was it done? Thanks.

Adjustable Lowering Links :: Tesla Model X

Links are a piece of rubber (atleast mine were) that are a set length, they are attached to a sensor in the air supsenion. The set length let's the car know when it's reached the preset air suspension settings. The aftermarket links can trick the sensor due to the links being a different length than stock. There are preset size aftermarket links and adjustable links. The adjustable links allow you to customize to your desired height (up to the limits of the car)

The attached images show:
1. The stock link (held by plier, I already took one side off). (85 mm length)
2. The aftermarket link measurement 8.1mm longer ( I couldn't get to exactly 8)
3. The aftermarket link installed

You repeat this step for each wheel. The rear wheels have to be removed, the front can be changed while the wheels are still on. Car has to be in high/very high then jackmode before you start the change. I'll come back and provide detailed steps if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 1_original_link.png
    1_original_link.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,034
  • 2_adjust_aftermarket_link.png
    2_adjust_aftermarket_link.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 619
  • 3_install_aftermarket_link.png
    3_install_aftermarket_link.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 693
Reactions: SilverGS

Links are a piece of rubber (atleast mine were) that are a set length, they are attached to a sensor in the air supsenion. The set length let's the car know when it's reached the preset air suspension settings. The aftermarket links can trick the sensor due to the links being a different length than stock. There are preset size aftermarket links and adjustable links. The adjustable links allow you to customize to your desired height (up to the limits of the car)

You repeat this step for each wheel. The rear wheels have to be removed, the front can be changed while the wheels are still on. Car has to be in high/very high then jackmode before you start the change. I'll come back and provide detailed steps if anyone is interested.
Thanks for the clear explanation and the outstanding photos. As an older (though likely average age due to the cost) Model X owner, I gather the intent is to have the vehicle ride as low as possible for appearance-sake. I bought the Model X partially for the opposite reason: to raise it up high or very high to help clear the snow in winter. When you lower the suspension way down, don’t you run the risk of bottoming out and damaging the battery and other components under the car?

Thanks for the clear explanation and the outstanding photos. As an older (though likely average age due to the cost) Model X owner, I gather the intent is to have the vehicle ride as low as possible for appearance-sake. I bought the Model X partially for the opposite reason: to raise it up high or very high to help clear the snow in winter. When you lower the suspension way down, don’t you run the risk of bottoming out and damaging the battery and other components under the car?

The lower the car, the more risk of that yes. The lowering links lower up to 2 inches IIRC. The stock clearance is 7in so that puts it at about 5 in if you choose to adjust it that far.

The normal ride height of a Model S is about 5.3” so the clearance would be about the same.

Although there are concerns around dampening rates, alignment/camber, and suspension travel still.

The further you go, the larger the concern. A minor drop probably wouldn’t be a concern at all, especially if the goal is to just leave it in “standard” to ride in “Low” so that one can still get speed based adjustment to get to very low at highway speeds.

Looks good! I really considered doing this, but was already getting a lot of camber wear on stock Low. Unless you get a camber kit, those puppies will be toast in no time.

If you set it right you can ride at the standard setting but be a little lower, though not all the way down to stock low. This lets you cheat and get an in between setting. You get a lower low for looks when you want, a lower standard for looks and better aero all the time and loose a little on the higher settings.

Reactions: Technupe

How much of a drop did an 8mm longer link provide?

Yes, mostly for appearance. However, I tend to have my car on low most of the time. Now it'll be on standard most of the time, and very rarely drive on very low. Definitely do not want to affect/impact the battery.
There are a lot of lowered model 3s out theres with no issues. The s and x have a titanium brace to further protect the battery from impact. If something gets caught on the bottom like a cone, even in stock form wont save you from impact on the bottom.

There are a lot of lowered model 3s out theres with no issues. The s and x have a titanium brace to further protect the battery from impact. If something gets caught on the bottom like a cone, even in stock form wont save you from impact on the bottom.
This has become my rationale for lowering my car a merely fraction of what others lower their cars, albeit with zero battery pack ground collision issues to my ears. Once it’s lowered, even 1”, all other Tesla looks like they’re on stilts 😂