TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lowering Links

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by lolachampcar, Feb 28, 2015.

1. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

This is part of a response I posted in another thread. Given the interest in lowering MS, here is a very cost effective do it yourself approach.

Oh, and here is mine lowered.
    2015 P85D

Quick search on McMaster for Ball Sockets
    McMaster-Carr Click on Gas Spring End fittings and brackets
    Add threaded rod and two nuts to two of the above and you are there. The nylon ones would be a home run as there is near zero load on these links (the potentiometers swing very freely). Had I seen this before I bought my links, I would have gone Nylon.

If there is interest, I can oder the Nylon version, set them up to the exact same length as my current lowering links and post exact measurements versus lowering heights. Every car will differ just a bit and will need fine adjustment but at least it will be a start (this is because every car's ride height is calibrated and not all potentiometers will be at the same angle thus the need for calibration).

2. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

It would be great if you could actually list the McM part numbers (we have a work account, so I could easily snag a few that way hehe!). But seriously, to know the hardware setup specifically that you'd spec out would be great. And the length to achieve desired settings would be nice, too. I don't have air suspension yet, but my next MS most likely will.

Also you had talked about changes needed to the rear upper arms to accommodate the new hardware/geometry. Pics and "how to" for that would be super sweet! :)

Question for you-- when you've done your alignment, have you done so at Normal setting? I'd assume that is typically how the S/C offers it up. However, as others (see artsci thread) run around in Low setting all the time, do you think there would be any harm having the alignment done in that mode? Obviously it would add positive camber when you lift/raise the car. But how much and how that might hurt handling, well, thats my question :)

3. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

I'd also be interested in any of the details and the mcmaster items on this, lola. I finally have +.210 rear upper links and would be interested in going back to the pre-update ride heights, or even lower. Between your info and artsci's latest post this would be a nice fix.

4. scottm

scottm Active Member

Gas strut balls all the same ball size, just choice of material and threaded rod pitch?

5. scottm

scottm Active Member

6. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

VERY nicely done :)