Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering Performance Models - Springs, Alignment, Labor, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to do this, as I felt my day of modifying major components of cars had passed, but the fender/wheel gap on the M3, even in PUP form is horrendous. I certainly don't need a slammed car, but aesthetically it's my major gripe on the M3.

I've seen springs from Unplugged and it appears Eibach has springs (although maybe for non-PUP cars). I read something in a simple search about lack of camber and toe alignment settings, trying to wrap my head around that.

Just exploring options now, but a 1.5" or so drop on some compliant springs would be worthwhile, but only if I can keep camber and toe reasonable to not shred through tires. Has anyone done this, are there any shops that specialize in this.

Anyone have pictures? Thanks

Toe is adjustable, camber is not. Lowering the car will give you a little more camber but you can just corner more aggressively to even things out :p If you do need to adjust the camber Mountain Pass Performance makes camber adjustment arms for the rear and will release a solution for the front in the future.

Ok, as long as toe is adjustable, it'd be absurd if not. Most cars don't have camber adjustment, and my experience has been as long as camber can stay at or less than 1.5 degrees negative, you don't completely destroy tires, and as stated, you get better turn-in and handling advantages. Has anyone actually done this, what camber are they running after install?

kbecks, I hear you, but I can't recall a time even close to bottoming out. A compliant ride or any form of progressive springs would do well in this application I believe.

From this thread: Lowering the Model 3

Consider that I have the P3D+ which is supposedly already lowered. So maybe I need to be asking for 1.5".

It appears that most manufacturers of the springs are taking the already lowered height of the P3D+ into consideration.

How do I keep the exact same ride and feel but get the car 1" lower?
There aren't a whole lot of available options at the moment for us P3D+ owners. Most everything is in the prototype/pre-production phase.

Unplugged Performance will have coilovers, and springs.

Mountain Pass Performance will have 2 coilover options.

Eibach will have a spring option.

Tsportline will have a spring option.

Springs are all looking to be in the < $400 range, whereas the coilovers are going to be $1800+. The advantage of the springs is the cost. The advantage of the coilovers is that you can dial in the exact height that you want, and in some cases, adjust both the rebound and compression.

Ok, as long as toe is adjustable, it'd be absurd if not. Most cars don't have camber adjustment, and my experience has been as long as camber can stay at or less than 1.5 degrees negative, you don't completely destroy tires, and as stated, you get better turn-in and handling advantages. Has anyone actually done this, what camber are they running after install?

kbecks, I hear you, but I can't recall a time even close to bottoming out. A compliant ride or any form of progressive springs would do well in this application I believe.
All my experience with camber is not having enough of it and being at the limit of factory adjustment. haha. How much camber you need is a function of how you drive. I haven't seen any info on what the stock camber is for the Model 3 before or after lowering.

That's one of my main points of this thread, a lot of the springs don't specifically market or mention P3D+, I think a 1.5" drop from current P3D+ form is needed, just wondering how that'll play out in terms of camber.

Unplugged, Eibach, and Tsportline will all have springs for the P3D+, they just aren't released yet. Eibach posted on their IG/FB, and both Unplugged and Tsportline mention on their website that the options for the P3D+ are in work.

Eibach is also developing a set of sway bars, too.

As far as camber goes - with a 1.5" drop, you will have greater negative camber... The amount is TBD. Maybe @MountainPass has this information?

All my experience with camber is not having enough of it and being at the limit of factory adjustment. haha. How much camber you need is a function of how you drive. I haven't seen any info on what the stock camber is for the Model 3 before or after lowering.

Understood for tracking, in my experience, anything beyond 2 degrees negative camber starts to really wear the tires aggressively for street driving. On a track, I totally hear you on needing more negative camber!!!