Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering springs for 2023 Model 3 RWD Standard Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I recently picked up my 2023 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range RWD and are looking for some lowering springs. Any recommendations?

Also, does it void any warranties if I do swap up the OEM springs with lowering springs?

Thanks!

It's definitely a grey area. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer. It affects your warranty if the part you add is proven to have a direct and adverse impact on the part that you want to repair/service. Say your shocks give out when you install new coils, they would probably deny it. But some service centers are more strict than others, maybe you could get lucky. I'd say if it makes you happy and if you have the means do it, do it. I would drive it for a few weeks just in case to see if there are any problems just to avoid any problems while the car is new.

Upvote 0
It's definitely a grey area. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer. It affects your warranty if the part you add is proven to have a direct and adverse impact on the part that you want to repair/service. Say your shocks give out when you install new coils, they would probably deny it. But some service centers are more strict than others, maybe you could get lucky. I'd say if it makes you happy and if you have the means do it, do it. I would drive it for a few weeks just in case to see if there are any problems just to avoid any problems while the car is new.
The burden of proof being on the manufacturer is pretty misleading in practice. If you have a problem that is connected to your modification, such as a blown shock absorber, they will deny the claim and add a note in their system. If you complain, they will tell you to call the manufacture, who will basically ask you to prove the repair shop is wrong. Good luck with that. The actual act that is intended to protect people working on their cars is the Mugson Moss act or something like that. It was designed to allow people to use peplacment parts other than OEM parts. This allows you to change your starter with a similar starter to save money. However, if they can claim the change was a different specification and led to a failure, they don't need to cover it. In the law, should the manufacture need to prove this? Yes. In practice, they deny and challenge you to fight them over it knowing it would cost you more to pay a layer than to fix whatever broke. Almost nobody fights them and they do as they please paying out small amounts on rare occasions that someone actually fights them and can prove their mod did not cause a failure. To be fair, if you modify a part and brake something, I don't think you should ask the manufacture to replace it. That is not a problem with the denial but with the entitled ask.

Also, not saying you have to, but best practice when changing springs is to change your shock absorbers which control those springs. Lowering springs alone will significantly reduce your cars handling performance. You are basically trading off how your car performs while moving for how it looks while parked with lowering springs alone.

Reactions: XPsionic and tm1v2
Upvote 0
The burden of proof being on the manufacturer is pretty misleading in practice. If you have a problem that is connected to your modification, such as a blown shock absorber, they will deny the claim and add a note in their system. If you complain, they will tell you to call the manufacture, who will basically ask you to prove the repair shop is wrong. Good luck with that. The actual act that is intended to protect people working on their cars is the Mugson Moss act or something like that. It was designed to allow people to use peplacment parts other than OEM parts. This allows you to change your starter with a similar starter to save money. However, if they can claim the change was a different specification and led to a failure, they don't need to cover it. In the law, should the manufacture need to prove this? Yes. In practice, they deny and challenge you to fight them over it knowing it would cost you more to pay a layer than to fix whatever broke. Almost nobody fights them and they do as they please paying out small amounts on rare occasions that someone actually fights them and can prove their mod did not cause a failure. To be fair, if you modify a part and brake something, I don't think you should ask the manufacture to replace it. That is not a problem with the denial but with the entitled ask.
Yea, I completely agree don't expect to have warranty on any part of your suspension if you replace the coils. They will say "nope" and there is nothing you can reasonably do about it. Nice info on the Mugson moss act, ITL.

Reactions: XPsionic and tm1v2
Upvote 0