Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok you guys got me worried. I was a little weary of the 1.5 drop, but thought It would be ok, but 2 in is a bit much. My car is in the shop today. Will report back to see what it looks like after they are done today.
Ok..got my car back just now from the shop with the installed Unplugged springs.

Couple of quick comments:
1) Front height of car at 27.5" (vs 27" that ckop24) got, so the front was a 1.5" drop, back height of car is 26.5" (same as ckop24), so similar drop. See picture below.
a) Went over road bumps without a problem
b) Drove into my driveway without a problem. By comparison, my previous sports cars (BMW M5 or Audi R8) would have to inched into the driveway or driven at an angle to avoid scraping

2) Ride quality: A vast improvement over stock springs. I quickly took it on a road that I travel on which has both bumps/cracks and small potholes. You won't get away from feeling the road, but the feeling is softened. The cracks/potholes are not as jarring. You feel it more than you would in the stock suspension with 18 in wheels (my wife's M3 has 18" aeros), but definitely feel less than factory 19". A perfect compromise.

3) Handle quality: On normal driving, no discernible difference. Haven't really taken any corners though

The installer did the alignment and said that as of now it is fine and he said he'll want to check it in another 1000 miles to make sure it is within specs. @UnpluggedP I am attaching the alignment report.

So far, pretty happy I did it. Will report back if anything changes. But overall really happy I did it.

IMG_4769.JPG

IMG_4770.JPG

Last edited:
Ok..got my car back just now from the shop with the installed Unplugged springs.

Couple of quick comments:
1) Front height of car at 27.5" (vs 27" that ckop24) got, so the front was a 1.5" drop, back height of car is 26.5" (same as ckop24), so similar drop. See picture below.
a) Went over road bumps without a problem
b) Drove into my driveway without a problem. By comparison, my previous sports cars (BMW M5 or Audi R8) would have to inched into the driveway or driven at an angle to avoid scraping

2) Ride quality: A vast improvement over stock springs. I quickly took it on a road that I travel on which has both bumps/cracks and small potholes. You won't get away from feeling the road, but the feeling is softened. The cracks/potholes are not as jarring. You feel it more than you would in the stock suspension with 18 in wheels (my wife's M3 has 18" aeros), but definitely feel less than factory 19". A perfect compromise.

3) Handle quality: On normal driving, no discernible difference. Haven't really taken any corners though

The installer did the alignment and said that as of now it is fine and he said he'll want to check it in another 1000 miles to make sure it is within specs. @UnpluggedP I am attaching the alignment report.

So far, pretty happy I did it. Will report back if anything changes. But overall really happy I did it.

View attachment 297298
View attachment 297299

Looks good! Thanks for the feedback on the heights, glad to see that our results are nearly consistent. Your comments about the ride quality and handling are spot on. I put on 20" wheels with much less sidewall on the tires and the ride quality and noise is actually comparable to the stock 18" wheels.

Just a quick update on handle quality. I had to run a few errands today so got more miles in. Took it on the freeway and will admit the handling is nice in that being lower to the ground makes maneuvering between lanes felt very effortless. Not sure if it was just a mental headfake but felt more like a little sports car than before.

Now the fun part was coming off the offramp and having to make a left turn. This is a turn I normally would make at 10-15 mph. Today I tried to test the corner at around 20-25. I expected the car to roll a bit more going into the turn at the speed. It did not—it simply hugged the ground and made the turn as if it was on rails. Felt like I was turning at 10 mph. That was when I felt most impressed with these springs. In an EV, I typically don’t drive spiritedly—always that much more mindful of kw consumption, so this aspect will likely go underutilized but it is nice to know that it there in case I want to.

Reactions: ckop24 and atlas310
Picked up my car from unplugged performance last Thursday and I am in love with the new suspension. I went with the moderate drop and the car looks amazing and performs ever better than it looks! I have Vin 635 so I had the 1st set of springs from Tesla which were sportier and stiffer than what is currently being manufactured. The ride quality has improved dramatically just with normal road driving. Handling on winding roads has blown my mind! I live in Santa Barbara and we have some great back country roads! It’s amazing how there is no body roll and each turn I get the confidence to take it even faster. I’m new to this forum so feel free to ask me questions!

Attachments

• 7BED36B0-F118-4A67-9240-55D67C2837BE.jpeg
    7BED36B0-F118-4A67-9240-55D67C2837BE.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 538
  • 027B18B5-3FAE-4633-9640-FB0B3C5B5495.jpeg
    027B18B5-3FAE-4633-9640-FB0B3C5B5495.jpeg
    557.8 KB · Views: 532
  • 998C698D-A0A4-4432-B984-E9080FDE8A39.jpeg
    998C698D-A0A4-4432-B984-E9080FDE8A39.jpeg
    769.4 KB · Views: 515
That's the moderate? The rear does look pretty low.
Yes, it is the moderate drop. It does look low in the pics but I find it to sit perfectly for me. Saw a 1.5" drop around the vehicle. I have no issues driving around town and living in Santa Barbara we do have some bad streets with Large dips and pot holes but I am not concerned about it causing damage. After my last post I couldn't bare not going for another drive so I took a quick pass up and down Tunnel road and this car ****ing handles! Im addicted to driving it! If you do think it is too low I do believe Unplugged is coming out with a "mild" drop that may be a better fit.

Yes, it is the moderate drop. It does look low in the pics but I find it to sit perfectly for me. Saw a 1.5" drop around the vehicle. I have no issues driving around town and living in Santa Barbara we do have some bad streets with Large dips and pot holes but I am not concerned about it causing damage. After my last post I couldn't bare not going for another drive so I took a quick pass up and down Tunnel road and this car ****ing handles! Im addicted to driving it! If you do think it is too low I do believe Unplugged is coming out with a "mild" drop that may be a better fit.

Thanks. I'm skeptical, but may end up going with the moderates anyway. I'd be interested in the mild drop, but I haven't seen any pics around.

Picked up my car from unplugged performance last Thursday and I am in love with the new suspension. I went with the moderate drop and the car looks amazing and performs ever better than it looks! I have Vin 635 so I had the 1st set of springs from Tesla which were sportier and stiffer than what is currently being manufactured. The ride quality has improved dramatically just with normal road driving. Handling on winding roads has blown my mind! I live in Santa Barbara and we have some great back country roads! It’s amazing how there is no body roll and each turn I get the confidence to take it even faster. I’m new to this forum so feel free to ask me questions!
Can you share details on the wheel and tire setup? Looks good!

If yours are the earlier version springs that are stiffer and sit higher, then the drop on the later version springs with the moderate springs should be less than 1.5", right?

I live in Santa Barbara and we have some great back country roads! It’s amazing how there is no body roll and each turn I get the confidence to take it even faster. I’m new to this forum so feel free to ask me questions!

I live in Santa Barbara as well! I'm on stock suspension (v2) and 19" sport wheels, but I love the way the car handles. My favorite road to drive around here is Old San Marcos. You have any favorites?

That's the moderate? The rear does look pretty low.

I agree this looks a little too low, especially in the rear. @UnpluggedP can you comment on the ride height seen in these user-posted photos? They seem lower than the photos on your website...

Personally, I would love a set that's more even front/rear.... maybe a 1.0" drop rear and 1.2" inch front...

Dropped the 3 off today at Eibach for measurements and prototyping. If all goes well, we should be seeing some lowering springs for our 3’s in a few months!

@Cricket88 – Any updates on spring development from Eibach? I really like the drop I'm seeing in your photos. Also, I've been looking for a set of spacers for the Model 3, so I'm really curious where they got yours...

Reactions: atlas310
With coilovers you can fine tune the height to exactly how you'd like. Sorry for the shameless plug!

Not shameless, just a fact of how adjustable coilovers are, it is good for people to know their options! having installed coilovers on 2 cars previously I do appreciate how easy it is to adjust both front and back height and side to side to get it just where you want it.

Reactions: dgaultiere
I live in Santa Barbara as well! I'm on stock suspension (v2) and 19" sport wheels, but I love the way the car handles. My favorite road to drive around here is Old San Marcos. You have any favorites?

I agree this looks a little too low, especially in the rear. @UnpluggedP can you comment on the ride height seen in these user-posted photos? They seem lower than the photos on your website...

Personally, I would love a set that's more even front/rear.... maybe a 1.0" drop rear and 1.2" inch front...
My opinion, the picture makes it look like it is lower than it is. The somewhat top-down perspective as opposed to more eye level photo is skewing it. Plus the shadow and slightly more camber making the tire inset somewhat more are giving perception of much greater drop in height.

@vin635,

Which rims are those? Love them! (Specs)?

Ski