Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of a US company making those 15mm spacers for the Model 3? BLOXSport appears to be in China and the cost of shipping is more than 1/2 the cost of the spacers themselves...
USAdapters.com in San Bernardino.
Also Motorsport Tech, out of Nevada. Lenny is the business owner and is super helpful. I've just had their spacers installed along with T Sportline springs. Will post photos shortly.

Today I had spacers and springs installed at HP Autosport in Santa Barbara. I highly recommend giving Harold a call if you're in this area. He gave me a great price and did quality work. He works on a lot of performance and German cars. He said the Model 3 front suspension was just like an Audi and the rear was very similar to a BMW or Mercedes setup.

I went with 15mm front & 20mm rear spacers from Motorsport Tech. I worked with Lenny who was very helpful as I decided which spacer options to go with. I think this setup is pretty much as close to perfectly flush as you can get. Maybe even a little bit wide for my taste, but overall I'm really happy with it. Combined with the T Sportline springs, this car has a much much cleaner and sportier stance, worthy of a 50k sport sedan.

To anyone who is wondering, they do not make spacers less than 15mm which have the lugs pressed in (I asked Bloxsport too). Since the stock logs on this car are pretty short, you're basically stuck going with either <5mm or >15m... Anything between 5 and 15 will not have enough lug length to securely attach the wheels. The only option would be to pull the lugs out of the factory hubs and install longer ones. I'm not aware of anyone who makes those currently. So 15mm is the best option for the front, and 20mm in the rear gives the same flush look front an rear.

I'm also really happy with the T Sportline springs. The drop is nearly perfect. The fender gap is now about 2.5 fingers front and 2 rear. I'll get actual measurements tomorrow. As far as handling goes, I haven't had a chance to take it on any backroads, but in a bit of freeway and city driving tonight, it felt really good. It definitely is a bit more compliant than the stock springs, but somehow it manages to remain sporty and poised. It actually feels like it corners even better too, with less body roll likely due to the progressive rate rears. The springs + spacers have generated a fair amount of negative camber, so I'm sure that's helping with cornering, but will definitely create some uneven tire wear.

Overall very happy with the new setup. As promised here are some photos:

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg IMG_1345.jpg IMG_1348.jpg IMG_1342.jpg IMG_1343.jpg IMG_1346.jpg IMG_1347.jpg

Today I had spacers and springs installed at HP Autosport in Santa Barbara. I highly recommend giving Harold a call if you're in this area. He gave me a great price and did quality work. He works on a lot of performance and German cars. He said the Model 3 front suspension was just like an Audi and the rear was very similar to a BMW or Mercedes setup.

I went with 15mm front & 20mm rear spacers from Motorsport Tech. I worked with Lenny who was very helpful as I decided which spacer options to go with. I think this setup is pretty much as close to perfectly flush as you can get. Maybe even a little bit wide for my taste, but overall I'm really happy with it. Combined with the T Sportline springs, this car has a much much cleaner and sportier stance, worthy of a 50k sport sedan.

To anyone who is wondering, they do not make spacers less than 15mm which have the lugs pressed in (I asked Bloxsport too). Since the stock logs on this car are pretty short, you're basically stuck going with either <5mm or >15m... Anything between 5 and 15 will not have enough lug length to securely attach the wheels. The only option would be to pull the lugs out of the factory hubs and install longer ones. I'm not aware of anyone who makes those currently. So 15mm is the best option for the front, and 20mm in the rear gives the same flush look front an rear.

I'm also really happy with the T Sportline springs. The drop is nearly perfect. The fender gap is now about 2.5 fingers front and 2 rear. I'll get actual measurements tomorrow. As far as handling goes, I haven't had a chance to take it on any backroads, but in a bit of freeway and city driving tonight, it felt really good. It definitely is a bit more compliant than the stock springs, but somehow it manages to remain sporty and poised. It actually feels like it corners even better too, with less body roll likely due to the progressive rate rears. The springs + spacers have generated a fair amount of negative camber, so I'm sure that's helping with cornering, but will definitely create some uneven tire wear.

Overall very happy with the new setup. As promised here are some photos:

View attachment 320017

View attachment 320017 View attachment 320018 View attachment 320019 View attachment 320020 View attachment 320021 View attachment 320022 View attachment 320023
Awesome! Thank you for the info! Can you give us the approximate cost of just the 15mm and 20mm spacers by themselves?

Awesome! Thank you for the info! Can you give us the approximate cost of just the 15mm and 20mm spacers by themselves?
I purchased online from BLOX Sport as well (15mm only). I bought two pairs (four spacers in total) at $88 a pair (I paid $238 out the door). However, now I see the 15mm spacers are up to $135 a pair! Shipping is the same at $62 (DHL). From the time I placed my order, to when I received the package in the mail, took only 3 days (from China)... lightning fast. The 20mm spacers are $50 more than the 15mm. So, you would be looking at $382 for two 15mm spacers and two 20mm spacers (all in including shipping).

I paid $285 for all four spacers including shipping. I think they were $65ea plus $25 shipping.

I have heard that front and rear have a hexagon bolt to keep the rotor in place. Would this affect the installation of the spacers?
Yes, there are hub centering bolts which help with the install of the brake disc over the hub. My mechanic said he had to remove these so the spacers would sit flush, but it doesn’t matter because the spacers are bolted to the hub which will be more than sufficient to hold them in place. I plan to send details to Lenny @ Motorsport tech to see if he can make a a cutout in the spacers to accommodate this in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: mpt
USAdapters.com is working on a set of 20 mm for mine. I should be getting them today. They are fitting them specifically to the M3. The outer diameter will fit the drive hub and wheel hub so it will look consistent from the outside looking through the spokes.I tried the "off the shelf" adapters and it's ugly when you look through the wheel and the adapter is a lot smaller diameter.

I am currently running 3 mm on the front. That's the thickest you can have and still get the hub center to contact the wheel to maintain centering. The problem with a 15 mm spacer with it's own studs is there is not enough metal to contact the spline of the studs. It risks a stud spinning in the adapter making removal a real problem.

I have a few ideas to overcome the thin, 10 - 15 mm spacer issues. I will run them by Bryce when I pick up the rears.

• Informative
Reactions: dgaultiere
This is great info. Are these the ones you ordered?

Do most rims have this "recessed" space?

Yes, finally added as a standard item. That said, as noted, they've bumped the prices and US companies are starting to kick in. BLOX has a very solid metal and they literally bash others in their video. Does anyone know if there's realistic truth to this? I looked at the spec of the metal used on the BLOX adapters, it's certainly stronger that the 6x stuff but I wonder how much it matters, if at all?

Most rims do, it's weight and metal saving. Guaranteed that Tesla 18 and 19's do.

Last edited:
Yes, finally added as a standard item. That said, as noted, they've bumped the prices and US companies are starting to kick in. BLOX has a very solid metal and they literally bash others in their video. Does anyone know if there's realistic truth to this? I looked at the spec of the metal used on the BLOX adapters, it's certainly stronger that the 6x stuff but I wonder how much it matters, if at all?

Most rims do, it's weight and metal saving. Guaranteed that Tesla 18 and 19's do.
I saw that video and wondered about the materials too. I don’t know anything about the metal used on my Motorsport Tech spacers but my mechanic said they seemed to be high quality and they were recommended by some S owners on this forum too.

For spacers I wouldn’t really be concerned about the metal getting dented like they do in the video. Wheel and hub centering, lug strength, and low weight would be my primary concerns.

Reactions: mpt
So for the Eibach Pro-kit vs Tsport lowering springs comparison here is my understanding so far:

1. Both springs are linear springs for fronts and progressive for rears.

2. According to vendors, Eibachs have 1.2" drop all around and Tsport are 1" all around.

3. The Eibachs ($242 - darksidemotoring) are potentially $100 less compared to Tsport ($350) from online retailers.

4. Tsport springs have solid reviews so far from M3 owners, still waiting for Eibach feedback from the community, but Eibach has the long history and reputation behind it.

5. The Eibachs require you to trim the bumpstops and the Tsport springs do not (?)

So anybody have any idea why the bumpstops need to be trimmed on the Eibachs, but NOT for the Tsport and UP springs? Sounds like trimming bumpstops aren't a big deal, but somehow I feel better about not trimming the bumpstops. Anyone have thoughts on this?

My priorities for lowering springs are actually for a slightly smoother ride more comfortable ride, while keeping or even enhancing handling, but with no rubbing or scraping on inclines/declines and speedbumps. The aesthetics of a nice drop are more secondary, but sounds like either set will provide a more sporty aggressive look without looking slammed. So kind of torn between the Tsport and Eibachs right now. Any advice fellas?

• Helpful
Reactions: dgaultiere
I don’t see $242, link shows $292?

I’ve heard on other applications regarding trimming bump stops, but those are on softer spring rates where bottoming out may happen

Tsport looks like the rears don’t drop as much as the front compared to eibachs (even drop), but can’t really tell...

Wow...looks like they did a "price correction" since this morning! Maybe it was an error...since I've never seen Eibach springs that cheap...esp. for a new car where they can definitely charge a premium.

Anyone know who actually makes the springs for T Sportline or UP? I'm sure they had to have contracted with a world-class suspension-leader like Eibach or H&R right?

That's some BS, it was definitely $242 earlier today, but they jacked up the price by $50 now.
If you read earlier on post #315, their intended price was $324 and they posted $264 on accident for some reason. If you call in your order, they will still honor the $264 up until this Friday.

That said, I'm still not sure I want to go with the Eibach's, especially if you have to trim the bump stops.

If you read earlier on post #315, their intended price was $324 and they posted $264 on accident for some reason. If you call in your order, they will still honor the $264 up until this Friday.

That said, I'm still not sure I want to go with the Eibach's, especially if you have to trim the bump stops.

Ah fair point, that makes more sense that they were correcting their price after Eibach changed prices. Thought they were pulling a airline price increase based on popularity and search hits....lol... but a correction makes much more sense.

I'm with you Atlas310, leaning towards the Tsportline springs due to the bump stop trim requirement for the Eibachs. Unless of course reviews start coming in for the Eibachs and they are over the top effusive.