Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks nice. I personally don't like black finish on rims because I think it takes away from the beauty of the wheel design. That wheel would look good in brushed silver. What wheel is that?

I'll have to agree with you about the brushed silver -- but I might be a little bias.
IMG_9734.jpg
IMG_9747.jpg

Wow that looks amazing.

I also installed UP's Moderate lowering springs, and I couldn't be happier!

They give me a smoother ride, and drastically improved handling. You may not notice the improved handling until during you standard daily commute. But you will definitely noticed the reduced body roll when you take turns at high speeds (my favorite is the long, sweeping 17S off-ramp to 280N). Overall, these springs are a great value given the performance improvements and aesthetic enhancements.
IMG_9734.jpg

Reactions: mcbarnet007
I can't decide between the UP milds and UP moderates. I prefer the look of the moderates and have experience with lowered cars, my first car out of high school was an Integra with a 2" drop. My main concern is that I plan on Turo'ing my car (please, if it's not a major inconvenience to your desire to give your .02, spare me the "I wouldn't let strangers near my car" critique,) and I don't want to worry about Turo'ers driving with care over speed bumps and high pitched driveways. I think with the milds this is a complete non issue. My reservations with the milds is, is it even worth it? Any thoughts on esthetic improvements of the milds and degree in which I would have to worry about the moderates? Any performance or comfort advantage, one over the other, probably wouldn't sway me either way, it's the concerns above that are guiding my decision. This is for a PM3-

I can't decide between the UP milds and UP moderates. I prefer the look of the moderates and have experience with lowered cars, my first car out of high school was an Integra with a 2" drop. My main concern is that I plan on Turo'ing my car (please, if it's not a major inconvenience to your desire to give your .02, spare me the "I wouldn't let strangers near my car" critique,) and I don't want to worry about Turo'ers driving with care over speed bumps and high pitched driveways. I think with the milds this is a complete non issue. My reservations with the milds is, is it even worth it? Any thoughts on esthetic improvements of the milds and degree in which I would have to worry about the moderates? Any performance or comfort advantage, one over the other, probably wouldn't sway me either way, it's the concerns above that are guiding my decision. This is for a PM3-

No judgement here, amigo. It's your 3, Turo is as much as you want. The casual person might not notice you've installed Milds, but an avid 3 fan would notice, especially if you had 19" or larger wheels. I can't really speak to the difference in performance between Mild vs. Moderate, as I've never been in a 3 with Milds. But both springs offer safe clearance for normal daily use cases - I almost never scrape with my Moderates, so I assume the same is more than true for Milds. But, Turo isn't necessarily 'normal daily use". I love the performance and look the Moderate springs gave my 3 - I haven't had a single regret yet.

If I'm you, I'd Turo your car for a few months before installing the springs - test Turo out for a while, see how the wear/tear truly is. Testing for a few months should give you a better idea of Mild vs. Moderate vs. no springs. You've waited a long time to get your 3, so no need to rush a decision about springs, especially with so much of an unknown variable like Turo's drivers.

No judgement here, amigo. It's your 3, Turo is as much as you want. The casual person might not notice you've installed Milds, but an avid 3 fan would notice, especially if you had 19" or larger wheels. I can't really speak to the difference in performance between Mild vs. Moderate, as I've never been in a 3 with Milds. But both springs offer safe clearance for normal daily use cases - I almost never scrape with my Moderates, so I assume the same is more than true for Milds. But, Turo isn't necessarily 'normal daily use". I love the performance and look the Moderate springs gave my 3 - I haven't had a single regret yet.

If I'm you, I'd Turo your car for a few months before installing the springs - test Turo out for a while, see how the wear/tear truly is. Testing for a few months should give you a better idea of Mild vs. Moderate vs. no springs. You've waited a long time to get your 3, so no need to rush a decision about springs, especially with so much of an unknown variable like Turo's drivers.

Hey thanks man, appreciate the advice. And you're right, I only waited 862 days (reservation to delivery) so I think I can manage a little more time doing some further homework on the issue.

RBii, love the aggressive off sets on the wheels, do you get any rubbing while driving? I'm trying to figure out fitmet for my 3 currently.

Thanks in advance

I too am struggling with fitment. I'm considering doing a 20x9, +25, 245/35/20 but worried about there being too much poke in the front. By my calculation, RBiii's front setup (20x8.5, +15, 265/35/20) would stick out 3.6mm more than my proposed setup which alleviates my concerns about the poke.

I'Il be doing a square setup though. Still trying to figure out how big of a spacer I can run in the rear to get a similar amount of poke without overdoing it. Any thoughts?

Those Rennen Wheels are they fully forged or flow formed and how much per wheel?

Flow.

I got the wheels and tires (used, as a package) on eBay. Some dude bought them knew, put them on his Lexus RCF for ~2.5k miles, and decided to go with a different set for his car. He paid just shy of $4,000 - he gave me the receipt and I called to verify with the shop prior to purchase. Wheels are in perfect shape and the when I mounted the tires, their treads were at 10/32 (rear) and 11/32 (front) - so basically still new. I'm too embarrassed to say how much I paid because what I paid was so stupidly low - I feel like I robbed him. All I'll say is the seller was upset that he didn't use the Reserve function.

I also installed UP's Moderate lowering springs, and I couldn't be happier!

They give me a smoother ride, and drastically improved handling. You may not notice the improved handling until during you standard daily commute. But you will definitely noticed the reduced body roll when you take turns at high speeds (my favorite is the long, sweeping 17S off-ramp to 280N). Overall, these springs are a great value given the performance improvements and aesthetic enhancements. View attachment 327798

Looks so so awesome! Can you kindly refer me to the installer you used for the UP Moderate springs? I’m also in the Bay Area. Would also love to know how much they charged and if you got alignment at the same time or after springs settled a bit. THANK YOU!