Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are some photos of our production sports coilovers - sorry for the shameless plug! A few of our clients have installed them now so hopefully, there will be some reviews popping up here soon!

CoiloverKit.jpg
Front-Coilovers-Installed.jpg
Rear-Suspension.jpg
Rear-Coilovers.jpg

Nice. Needs 25-35mm spacers, lol
How much do these air thingies go for?

Cost depends on a couple of factors such as brand, management, features, and so forth, but to give you a ball park range on putting something together, management systems run anywhere from $600 entry level to about $4k, then the actual suspension components range from $2k to $4k depending on setup, then install from diy to roughly $2k depending on how complex.

But ya, definitely need to work on fitment, I'll either start a new thread when I get the wheels on, or post here as well.

Here's a shot of what my management looks like installed in the Frunk
20180925_214351 (1).jpg

Reactions: tracksyde
comparison of UP moderates to Eibach. I wanted to get a bit lower and ended going with UP moderates. As far as ride, i would say its the same...only driven 405fwy... fwiw Now selling slightly used Eibach springs pm if interested

Im on 20's View attachment 336599

I just bought a set up Eibach springs off of eBay with the 15% off everything coupon today. Did you modify the bump stops when you installed the Eibach springs?

Here is the coupon code if you guys are interested:

upload_2018-9-27_10-26-2.png

FYI here is the response I got from David at UP re: rake on their updated springs. This is in reference to the moderate P3D springs, so can't confirm it applies to all. I was pretty concerned about rake/ uneven wheel gap reading through this thread, but they seem pretty confident that it is resolved with the new version (P3D anyway):

You shouldn't have any issues with rake. Any issues in the past have all been corrected. We do not recommend mixing and matching springs because they we have designed each set to be used with a specific spring rate. You are getting newly developed springs that are designed for the AWD platform. We should have these ready to ship in about 5 weeks.

Please be assured that you do not have to worry about the rake being different.
:)

B1586B54-C7D6-4D3E-99AC-0B7E7974E442.jpeg
0AE9A14C-C6D5-43B3-B4D2-D031812BC970.jpeg
67C7E788-0A01-49DE-A5D8-9F9757437FC4.jpeg
Has anyone diy’d their spring install?

I started to install my mountain pass coilovers and got as far as removing the frunk.

I’m stuck on finding a 13mm socket with walls thin enough to get to the top of the front strut mount.

Diy videos said to either grind an existing socket down or buy a thin walled one. I have no way to grind one down so I went to several places to find one thin enough. The thinnest I can find where kobalt sockets (pep boys, Sears, and Home Depot sockets where all much thicker)

Anyone know the guy that did the unplugged spring diy on YouTube? What brand socket did he use?

If I decide to just scrap the diy & pay a shop... are local shops just grinding the holes larger? I’m in Orange County... if they are just grinding the access holes larger I’d want to know if a thin walled socket is still an option.

Below is my installation video for the front springs. I'll do another video for the back springs later although it is pretty easy.
Dang video editing takes up so much freaking time. Hope it helps the DIYers out there.

Thx for the video... gives me some more details to know.

So wow 1.5 hours to grind the socket down?

Anyone in Orange County got a grinded socket I can borrow? LOL

So I found a 1/4 inch snap on socket... it says the outer diameter is 17.6mm. Is that thin enough? Mind measuring the final diameter of your grinded socket?

Anyone know if any thinner that I can order online?

Last edited:
Nice video and well edited.

One quick safety tip, because I’ve witnessed it go wrong before:

Don’t ever use a cutoff wheel as a grinder. Cutoff wheels aren’t meant for any side loading. Google image search “cut off wheel injuries” to see what happens when those wheels shatter at speed.

This wasn’t a terribly egregious situation because the load was small, but it’s a slippery and dangerous slope. Also, always keep that guard in a position where it can help protect you. Not good to be staring down into that running cutoff wheel.

A bench grinder (as you mentioned) or an angle grinder (with a flapper wheel or similar) would be appropriate tools for the task. If using the angle grinder you’d put the socket in a vise to work on it.

• Helpful
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
I’ve got a neighbor that will lend me their bench grinder... but I’ve never done anything like that... I don’t trust myself.

Am I able to bring a socket to a jewelry store/ watch repair and have them grind it?

I’d think those folks use a lot finer grinding wheel than would be useful for this task.

I apologize in advance for maybe reading too much into your post, but if you are uncomfortable grinding a socket, you might want to reconsider doing suspension work on your vehicle. You need to be confident you can trust your life to the quality of your work.

Physically getting the stuff taken apart and put back together is one thing. Doing it properly and making sure every fastener is torqued to specification so that it’s safe and reliable is a slightly higher skill level, but that level is absolutely necessary when dealing with vital load bearing components of a vehicle. A suspension component failure at speed can make for a bad situation.

I have no doubt that with the right tools, knowledge and diligence, you are capable of doing this work. You have to decide if you are there currently.

I’d think those folks use a lot finer grinding wheel than would be useful for this task.

I apologize in advance for maybe reading too much into your post, but if you are uncomfortable grinding a socket, you might want to reconsider doing suspension work on your vehicle. You need to be confident you can trust your life to the quality of your work.

Physically getting the stuff taken apart and put back together is one thing. Doing it properly and making sure every fastener is torqued to specification so that it’s safe and reliable is a slightly higher skill level, but that level is absolutely necessary when dealing with vital load bearing components of a vehicle. A suspension component failure at speed can make for a bad situation.

I have no doubt that with the right tools, knowledge and diligence, you are capable of doing this work. You have to decide if you are there currently.

I’ve done suspension work before multiple times... just haven’t been in a situation where I had to modify a tool like that. Honestly never had to work with a grinder either.

The Mountain Pass video and another spring Install diy video says there are thinner walled sockets that work... but what brand are they? Today I went to lowes, Home Depot, a Sears museum, Pepboys, and Autozone with no luck finding that thinner walled 1/4 inch drive socket. Closest I can find is the snap on 1/4 inch drive with a 17.6mm outer diameter. I don’t want to order it from snap on just to find out it’s not going to work. If I know nothing premade will work and it’s confirmed then I’ll grind...

If someone can either post a diameter I can work with or brand... then I’m good.

Or if there’s a local Orange County DIY’er that can loan one that works too or make me one over a case of beer (second thought that might not end well).

I’ve done suspension work before multiple times... just haven’t been in a situation where I had to modify a tool like that. Honestly never had to work with a grinder either.

The Mountain Pass video and another spring Install diy video says there are thinner walled sockets that work... but what brand are they?

MountainPass responded on similar thread on M3OC suggesting they used a Mastercraft socket thats 17.3mm dia. Looks like the thinnest so far on either thread without grinding. Only problem is, they are difficult to fine online.. might be hard to get a hold of.

Snap-On also makes a thin-wall 13mm that's 17.6mm and might be more readily available.

Update: I scoured Amazon and found a 13mm 3-pack which states its "thickness = .6in" or ~15.25 mm. I contacted the seller to see if they can confirm the diameter and will report back.

https://www.amazon.com/13mm-Socket-Pack-Drive-Shallow/dp/B07BQJX3N8/

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Mountain Pass Performance coilovers plus the toe control arms and camber arms. 15mm spacers front and 25mm spacers rear.

Took a few pix next to a stock model 3 as well.

rides nice. the front is as aggressive as I could go and still drive daily.

Attachments

• IMG_2415.jpg
    IMG_2415.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_2419.jpg
    IMG_2419.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_2377.jpg
    IMG_2377.jpg