Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: BAven8068
Most cars (including the Model 3) have the appearance of "reverse rake" stock because the fender opening is taller in the front than the rear.

Lowering the car makes this more noticable.

The best way to measure ride height before/after is from a fixed point on the chassis. Failing that, measuring from the top of the fender opening to the center of the hub or the floor are acceptable ways of measuring ride height.

The stock gap is certainly larger in the rear than in front.... At least on my specimen.

Looks good, yeah the Performance AWD is 1.0" front and 1.4" rear. TSportline and UP offer the same drop front and back on AWD Performance, so I'm really curious why Eibach made such a difference, and I'd love to see pics.

While not on their configuration wizard, they do exist:
PRO-KIT Performance Springs (Set of 4 Springs)
The Tsportline AWD Performance springs is 1” front and 1.2” rear

The Tsportline AWD Performance springs is 1” front and 1.2” rear

Oh I guess I missed that. They've got a good pic on their web site, definitely doesn't look like it's sagging.

Attachments

• pearl-white-tesla-model-3-performance-upgrade-lowering-springs-side-wm_4000x.progressive.jpg
    pearl-white-tesla-model-3-performance-upgrade-lowering-springs-side-wm_4000x.progressive.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 492
What's the biggest disadvantage to lowering the car?

I have yet to discover any disadvantages, only positives, but again that’s just me.

People are gonna stop you and ask what’s different about your car... because it looks so good and sporty. Is it one of those performance models? So if you’re in a hurry that is gonna slow you down.

It is shocking how much just an inch or so of lowering changes the overall appearance of the car drastically.

Reactions: dennisvab
I have yet to discover any disadvantages, only positives, but again that’s just me.

It is shocking how much just an inch or so of lowering changes the overall appearance of the car drastically.

My Model3 with race wheels ready to go!

I purposefully have my track wheels smaller than stock, so definitely looking to lower! problem is I want to be able to also fit my 20" wheels. and be able to actually get a jack under the car....

A lot of these photos look like the car has reverse rake after lowering. Is it just the camera, or does the car look like that in person? It's my #1 reservation...

I have a non lowered (yet) M3 LR AWD with the 18" stock wheels and yesterday I accurately measured the wheel gap at the front and the back.
Front: 5,9mm (2,32 inch)
Back: 6,6mm (2,60 inch)

So stock, the front is lower than the back. Like it should be. At least, on an AWD!

The car of @BAven8068 certainly looks a little lower at the back. I dont know if that already was the case when you got it...
Maybe Tesla uses the same springs on a RWD and AWD and since the AWD is heavier in the front it is a little lower there.
just my 2 cents of thought...

I have a non lowered (yet) M3 LR AWD with the 18" stock wheels and yesterday I accurately measured the wheel gap at the front and the back.
Front: 5,9mm (2,32 inch)
Back: 6,6mm (2,60 inch)

So stock, the front is lower than the back. Like it should be. At least, on an AWD!

The car of @BAven8068 certainly looks a little lower at the back. I dont know if that already was the case when you got it...
Maybe Tesla uses the same springs on a RWD and AWD and since the AWD is heavier in the front it is a little lower there.
just my 2 cents of thought...

I never measured the car when it was on stock springs, but I do know that both gaps were awkwardly large.

I think the appearance of the rear being lower on the aftermarket springs isn’t really the case. The car overall seems level but to me the front fender opening is just larger therefore giving it the look of being higher.

In order to get the same gap size in the front and the rear you would have to have the front sit lower.

I never measured the car when it was on stock springs, but I do know that both gaps were awkwardly large.

I think the appearance of the rear being lower on the aftermarket springs isn’t really the case. The car overall seems level but to me the front fender opening is just larger therefore giving it the look of being higher.

What about just measure it like I did? :)

Just put/slide a strip of straight metal flat on top of the tire and make it stick out enough. Then use for example a caliper to measure the distance to the car.

What about just measure it like I did? :)

Just put/slide a strip of straight metal flat on top of the tire and make it stick out enough. Then use for example a caliper to measure the distance to the car.

I don't need to measure it to know that the gap between tire and fender is larger in the front than the same gap in the back, but this has nothing to do with determining if the car is level from to back to front. Again you can have the fender wells cut differently and that throws your measure measurement off with your method. The front fender well is not an identical shape and size to the rear fender.