Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, looking for a little input on this.

I had my TSportline lowering springs installed on my LR Model 3 single motor 19 inch Sport Wheels and stock tires for a few months now. Loving them! No issues going over bumps etc.

I noticed something since day 1 of having them installed but I'm not sure if its just coincidence. I noticed on hard acceleration or slightly more aggressive turning, the tires are kinda squealing now. It happened right from day 1 of lowering the care with about 13K miles on the Continental stock tires. After 500 miles, the car had alignment done as well and I still notice the same squealing. I also had the tires rotated and balanced after lowering as well within a few days of lowering the car.

Before lowering the car, I never noticed much squealing based on same driving habits. Even a 0-60 acceleration from a stand still before lowering didn't have as much or if any squealing as it does compared to after lowering the car.

I'm not sure if this should be a coincident and that the tires are showing age or if I should be concerned? There's still plenty of tread left on them and I have 15k miles on them currently.

I had my TSportline lowering springs installed on my LR Model 3 single motor 19 inch Sport Wheels and stock tires for a few months now. Loving them! No issues going over bumps etc.

I noticed something since day 1 of having them installed but I'm not sure if its just coincidence. I noticed on hard acceleration or slightly more aggressive turning, the tires are kinda squealing now. It happened right from day 1 of lowering the care with about 13K miles on the Continental stock tires. After 500 miles, the car had alignment done as well and I still notice the same squealing. I also had the tires rotated and balanced after lowering as well within a few days of lowering the car.

Before lowering the car, I never noticed much squealing based on same driving habits. Even a 0-60 acceleration from a stand still before lowering didn't have as much or if any squealing as it does compared to after lowering the car.

I'm not sure if this should be a coincident and that the tires are showing age or if I should be concerned? There's still plenty of tread left on them and I have 15k miles on them currently.

Could be coincidental, could be your driving more spirited, who knows. In theory, tires should squeal less (at same speeds) if the suspension is stiffer because there's less weight transfer, but this would only be at the limit.

Typically after changing the suspension geometry, significant toe-in is introduced to the wheels/tires. Toe-In (or Toe-Out) will absolutely increase tire squealing. Camber will as well, but it would have to be incredibly extreme which isn't the case with the type of lowering springs you used. Alignments are an absolute must after lowering cars or you'll shred through your tires. You said you got one after 500 miles, I'm surprised that didn't improve it. Did they give you a pre/post alignment report? How confident are you that they actually properly adjusted the toe? I'd inspect your tires for unusual tire wear, most notably the inside.

Causes and types of tire damage | Continental tires
Check out the tire wear guidance on the above site.

Could be coincidental, could be your driving more spirited, who knows. In theory, tires should squeal less (at same speeds) if the suspension is stiffer because there's less weight transfer, but this would only be at the limit.

Typically after changing the suspension geometry, significant toe-in is introduced to the wheels/tires. Toe-In (or Toe-Out) will absolutely increase tire squealing. Camber will as well, but it would have to be incredibly extreme which isn't the case with the type of lowering springs you used. Alignments are an absolute must after lowering cars or you'll shred through your tires. You said you got one after 500 miles, I'm surprised that didn't improve it. Did they give you a pre/post alignment report? How confident are you that they actually properly adjusted the toe? I'd inspect your tires for unusual tire wear, most notably the inside.

Causes and types of tire damage | Continental tires
Check out the tire wear guidance on the above site.

The alignment was done at a very reputable shop. I don't remember the numbers but I do remember them showing that things were off prior to alignment and that they brought things back to normal with alignment. I might still have the paperwork in my glove compartment.

Thanks. Tires seem fine but I'll check again.

IMHO, lowering springs are for looks only....the driving dynamics change with lowering springs and not for the better....granted I am used to coilers and very stiff cars but with lowering springs, there is till significant body roll and it appears more bouncy heading into corners hard...some of this may be the increase in understeer I am feeling since going with 20 x 8.5/10 staggered wheels and tires.

IMHO, lowering springs are for looks only....the driving dynamics change with lowering springs and not for the better....granted I am used to coilers and very stiff cars but with lowering springs, there is till significant body roll and it appears more bouncy heading into corners hard...some of this may be the increase in understeer I am feeling since going with 20 x 8.5/10 staggered wheels and tires.

I more or less agree, particularly on the Performance models. The overall stiffness is only mildly more stiff. I do feel there is less body roll, but it's hardly noticeable. Thus far, I haven't really had bounce issues, but again this is specific to the Performance model. I feel the stock Performance Upgrade Strut/Spring combo is already fairly stiff. TS/Eibach/UP haven't significantly increased spring rates, so the performance isn't drastically changed, you get some negligible performance gain from the lower center of gravity, but again it's not a night and day feeling difference. That said, I feel given the spring rates aren't terribly different, the stock PUP struts dampening appears to be reasonable, as such I'm not really getting additional bouncing.

I agree, for pure performance, my recommendation would be a full coil-over with adjustable dampners as well as sway bars. I bought these solely for looks as I felt the car looked hideous for the class of performance. As such, I'm glad the ride is just about as compliant. Anyone looking for performance improvements should invest elsewhere, but if you're looking for improved aesthetics, that's what these are for. I get so many more complements now, and I am seeing reduced wh/mi usage at higher speeds to the tune of ~5%, so that's an added bonus.

I don't have experience with non-Performance models, I have to imagine the springs have a more significant performance advantage (albeit not world changing) on those cars than Performance models.

Last edited:

How do you feel with those TS lowered springs?

I've been debating between those and UP Mild for the longest haha. I have a RWD Model 3.

Finally got around to taking a better shot of side profile of the drop. Lowered on TSportline Springs (1 inch drop).

Perfect for daily driving and no issues with curb blocks or incline driveways. I just drive normal abe a little slower just to be safe. Handles great and I just love the look and stance.

IMG_7396.jpg

Finally got around to taking a better shot of side profile of the drop. Lowered on TSportline Springs (1 inch drop).

Perfect for daily driving and no issues with curb blocks or incline driveways. I just drive normal abe a little slower just to be safe. Handles great and I just love the look and stance.

View attachment 441608
Looking good! It's hard to believe how much of a difference 1 inch makes! :D

I also have a 1" drop (UP coilovers) and for the most part I have no issues if I drive slowly. I did bottom out once going over a speed bump too fast when I was in a hurry.

Reactions: follow.johnny
So what happens if you are on an expressway, run over some debris, damage your 20k battery and insurance adjustor finds out you had your car lowered?

In 2002, I ran over a driveshaft on the Interstate in a lowered Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo which had a front Stillen bumper. The driveshaft ripped my bumper off, popped 2 tires, bent two rims and punctured my transmission. The car was lowered. The truck driver appeared to have no insurance, State Farm fully replaced everything, no comment about lowering. An adjuster came out and saw my car which was ridiculously heavily modified, no issue at all. State Farm asked if I had receipts for the bumper and wheels/tires and they paid me back that plus labor. That said, I imagine I'd have had the same damage with a normal height 300ZX as well.

There is no clause in insurance policies I'm aware of that would deny based on a car being lowered. It would be hard if not impossible to prove that something that could destroy a battery in a car that's 1" lower wouldn't have destroyed it on a stock one. Now if you had expensive coil overs that needed to be replaced, your insurance may only be willing to pay replacement value on stock parts.

How do you feel with those TS lowered springs?

I've been debating between those and UP Mild for the longest haha. I have a RWD Model 3.

Sorry, totally just saw this. TSportline were perfect for what I wanted. Slightly lower look. Can drive like normal, no concerns for speed bumps etc. Just like a modern day sports sedan should be. This is how the car should have came stock.

Reactions: follow.johnny