Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Smaller battery means lighter weight so the drop would be less
This was my original assumption. Smaller range battery, means lighter weight, less drop.

I am a mid-range owner myself. I can't recall which one of these is correct but:

1. we either have the same battery as the SR/SR+ and it is software limited for those models OR
2. we have the same battery as the LR and we are software limited
But now that you bring this up, Tesla does make a lot of things the same, and simply limit them via software.

Couldn't you get away with the:
2WD Long Range: Lowered 1" Front & Rear

...for the mid-range?
This would work if the batteries installed are all the same, simply software limited.

I believe neither are correct.
I would love if someone could chime in on exactly how they're all built.

In times of natural emergency, Tesla will "unlock" extra range for people effected. That lends credence to the concept that all cars have similar battery packs installed, just software limits range.

To help the conversation along.....

According to evspecifications.com, here are the current curb weights:

2019 SR RWD - 3551.65 lbs (1611kg) - 53.6 kWh battery
2019 SR+ RWD - 3551.65 lbs (1611kg) - 54 kWh battery
2019 MR RWD - 3686.13 lbs (1672kg) - 65 kWh battery
2019 LR RWD - 3805.18 lbs (1726kg) - 79.5 kWh battery
2019 LR AWD - 4071.94 lbs (1847kg) - 79.5 kWh battery
2019 Perf. AWD - 4100.6 lbs (1860kg) - 79.5 kWh battery

According to Tesla.com, here are their listed specs:
Standard Plus - 3627 lbs
Long Range AWD - 4072 lbs
Performance - 4072 lbs

Lowered on Motion Control Suspension (MCS)
B242837C-88E7-4E8E-A528-33FCEE2C898F.jpeg

This thread has been super helpful. But for some reason I'm still having a tough time making a decision. I think I may go for the T sportline springs but has anyone installed the H&R springs. I believe the drop on the H&R springs is 1.2 for both front and rear. Seems like its the happy medium between T sportline and unplugged performance's moderate set up. I have a LR AWD m3. Its just a daily commuter, it won't be tracked. I mainly want springs for aesthetics and to make the ride quality a little bit better. I also live in Chicago so snow and potholes are an issue here. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
A few questions:
Is that a before and after picture of the drop?
Are those wheels - Genesis?
To help the conversation along.....

According to evspecifications.com, here are the current curb weights:

2019 SR RWD - 3551.65 lbs (1611kg) - 53.6 kWh battery
2019 SR+ RWD - 3551.65 lbs (1611kg) - 54 kWh battery
2019 MR RWD - 3686.13 lbs (1672kg) - 65 kWh battery
2019 LR RWD - 3805.18 lbs (1726kg) - 79.5 kWh battery
2019 LR AWD - 4071.94 lbs (1847kg) - 79.5 kWh battery
2019 Perf. AWD - 4100.6 lbs (1860kg) - 79.5 kWh battery

According to Tesla.com, here are their listed specs:
Standard Plus - 3627 lbs
Long Range AWD - 4072 lbs
Performance - 4072 lbs

I think this is a deep rabbit hole. Conflicting information all over the place. The most common answer I've found for the mid-range is this?:
MR RWD - 3686 lbs - 62kWh battery.

Regardless, and back to the topic at hand - if a mid-range desires ~1" drop wouldn't the LR 2WD TSportline springs achieve that with maybe a difference of being lowered ~1.2" vs ~ 1" if that? According to specs above we are talking a difference of 3805 - 3686 = ~120 lbs

@Current - I got my numbers mixed up in my post above and got them somewhat backwards. Less weight = less drop (I get it now)

Just answer me this people:

If TSportline claims the springs will do this:
RWD SR+ is .75" lowered
RWD LR is 1" lowered

Wouldn't it stand to reason that a mid-range will fall in between? In other words a mid-range will be lowered between .75" and 1" - Correct?

I see TSportline makes you choose a trim, but is it the same basic spring and they are just letting you know by how much each trim will be lowered?

This thread has been super helpful. But for some reason I'm still having a tough time making a decision. I think I may go for the T sportline springs but has anyone installed the H&R springs. I believe the drop on the H&R springs is 1.2 for both front and rear. Seems like its the happy medium between T sportline and unplugged performance's moderate set up. I have a LR AWD m3. Its just a daily commuter, it won't be tracked. I mainly want springs for aesthetics and to make the ride quality a little bit better. I also live in Chicago so snow and potholes are an issue here. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I've been lowered for a few thousand miles now and commute into center city Philadelphia every day. Our potholes are probably just as terrible as yours but ive had 0 issues with my Mountain Pass Performance comfort coilovers. The height is adjustable and the ride quality is noticeably better than stock. I have mine set as low as theyll go in the front and don't have any issues with clearance even over speedbumps. I would strongly recommend them if you don't mind paying a little more for coils.

Reactions: SG25
I've been lowered for a few thousand miles now and commute into center city Philadelphia every day. Our potholes are probably just as terrible as yours but ive had 0 issues with my Mountain Pass Performance comfort coilovers. The height is adjustable and the ride quality is noticeably better than stock. I have mine set as low as theyll go in the front and don't have any issues with clearance even over speedbumps. I would strongly recommend them if you don't mind paying a little more for coils.

thank you for your response. I’ll look into the mountain pass set up

sorry for the n00b question here, what are the risks other than lower clearance height by lowering with springs only? Will it produce greater uneven tire wear? Is a camber kit needed, etc.? Looking for a small to moderate drop ~1" - 1.25" myself on my P3D. Thanks in advance.

sorry for the n00b question here, what are the risks other than lower clearance height by lowering with springs only? Will it produce greater uneven tire wear? Is a camber kit needed, etc.? Looking for a small to moderate drop ~1" - 1.25" myself on my P3D. Thanks in advance.

When Unplugged Performance installed my coilovers, I asked the tech if I had to perform an alignment when I changed the ride height, but they said camber/toe/caster would stay the same at various heights.

I'm thinking about getting the UP Super Performance springs.

Any downsides I should look for? Do I have to worry about the camber/toe/caster? With the Super Performance from the what the charts says, does it mean I'll still have my ride comfort from factory while the handling would be better and less body roll?

Attachments

• Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Spring-Set-Diagram-V2.png
    Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Spring-Set-Diagram-V2.png
    150.2 KB · Views: 78