Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what's the consensus on geometry change and damage to stock components? I really like the lowered idea but some of the stories I've seen seem to be that this isn't the most friendly chassis design for longevity of stock parts with lowering springs.

Not true. Not sure what your source is on that but that sounds like misinformation. Lowering the car 1 to 1.5 in actually improves the camber situation without having to get camber arms. Get to about a degree negative in front and a degree and a half in back. This is not enough for tracking but it's optimal for Street. There's no evidence that this modest camber change is bad for the hardware. More radical camber can put some stress on wheel bearings but I haven't heard of a single wheel bearing failure in the guys who are tracking the car.

Today I got my Model 3 SR+ lowered with Cobra 20mm (about 0.8") lowering springs. Very happy with them. The SUV look is now gone. ;) The wheel gap is the same all around now, I personally like this the most. Don't really like it when it's much lower and that wouldn't really be usuable for me since I have a lot of speed bumps on my daily commute. It's already 10mm (about 0.4") lower than the Model 3 Performance now, that's low enough. :) The car feels much more planted now while still being very comfortable. While cornering it feels like it's on rails, much less body roll than before. Also the wh/km consumption is quite a bit lower now. I've done a few tests and it looks to be about 20 wh/km lower at 105 km/h. Just didn't have any luggage with me that I usually do have. Now that isn't much weight but still. Will be doing some more tests the coming days.

Not sure if these Cobra springs are available anywhere else besides The Netherlands but I'd definately recommend them if you want to go for a subtle drop. But I guess for most people around the world it's easier to get their hands on a set of T-Sportline springs. Those were too expensive for me here in The Netherlands because of import taxes.

Here's some pictures of the difference after and before the lowering. Just not exactly from the same angle but you can definately see the difference. :)

QWvAxvG.jpg

orZcxjZ.jpg

xW6vwSx.jpg

In the coming weeks I'll be doing another modification, have to wait till I receive everything for it. ;) And then I'll also finally switch to the summer wheels. :)

So the ride quality is softer than stock springs?

And how do you get more range just from lowering it?

Softer ride depends largely on the spring rate of the replacement spring vs original spring. Many progressive aftermarket springs have a softer 1st stage and therefore would be softer until you hit the 2nd, stiffer rate.

Lowering reduces airflow under the car so less drag. Less drag equals more range, other facts being equal. Lowering also reduces the drag caused by the tires.

Reactions: Nick77
Here's a quote from Unplugged Performance's website about aerodynamic gain from 1.5" lowering springs:
As the testing has illustrated, the 1.5” lower ride height provided by installation of the springs yields a reduction in overall vehicle drag. The vehicle’s total drag after lowering factory ride height of 28.5 inches to 27.0 inches (measured at center of the front fender) was reduced by 8.1%. This further lessened the vehicle’s total drag coefficient (Cd) by 0.019.
Many like lowering for purely aesthetic reasons (personal taste) but as with any modification there are pros and cons. Pros include aero gains, whether they are at the level stated in the UP study, and flatter cornering since lower center of gravity. Cons would be clearance. At the end of the day its personal choices. I know some TM3 owners actually prefer increasing ride height and that's ok if that's their thing.

Reactions: Nick77
about how much should i expect to pay for spring install? In the bay area im getting quote of 500-700 to install springs. UP is charging $300. Whats the apprx going rate?

also, was leaning towards UP but just wanted to see if that clicking issue has been resolved. Havent heard anything from anyone so maybe its still persisting

about how much should i expect to pay for spring install? In the bay area im getting quote of 500-700 to install springs. UP is charging $300. Whats the apprx going rate?

also, was leaning towards UP but just wanted to see if that clicking issue has been resolved. Havent heard anything from anyone so maybe its still persisting
500-700 is about average here on the east coast. I just installed the mild springs and don't have any issues.

500-700 is about average here on the east coast. I just installed the mild springs and don't have any issues.
$500 to $700 seems a bit high considering that it's really not that difficult and a shop that's done it on another model 3 before should be able to install in 3 to 3.5 hours.

Any shop that has not worked in a model 3 suspension before might take an extra hour to figure it all out so maybe 4 to 4.5. I'd suggest finding a shop, if one exists in your location, that has lowered a couple of model 3s. These guys should be able to do it in max of 3.5. Then ask what their hourly rate is and multiply. If they are asking more than this, they are basically charging you what I call TOT (Tesla Owners Tax).

Today I got my Model 3 SR+ lowered with Cobra 20mm (about 0.8") lowering springs.

Thanks for data on another brand of springs. I've added them to the "database"...

Tesla Springs
( tiny.cc / teslasprings )

I've also added a column for usernames in this forum who have each particular spring installed. If you'd like me to add your username, private message me with a link where you have posted pictures.

Reactions: rlb4 and Firehuntah
$500 to $700 seems a bit high considering that it's really not that difficult and a shop that's done it on another model 3 before should be able to install in 3 to 3.5 hours.

Any shop that has not worked in a model 3 suspension before might take an extra hour to figure it all out so maybe 4 to 4.5. I'd suggest finding a shop, if one exists in your location, that has lowered a couple of model 3s. These guys should be able to do it in max of 3.5. Then ask what their hourly rate is and multiply. If they are asking more than this, they are basically charging you what I call TOT (Tesla Owners Tax).

Might seem high but that's they going rate in the MD/VA/DC area. Took me 4 hours but had the use of a lift and spring compressors. I think $500 is reasonable.

Might seem high but that's they going rate in the MD/VA/DC area. Took me 4 hours but had the use of a lift and spring compressors. I think $500 is reasonable.

Took me about 1.5 hours to do the first one (front). Maybe 45 minutes for the second. About 15 minutes for each rear. I do have spring compressors, but my lift is occupied for the time being. I don't believe that the lift would have saved much time, but it would have made the job easier. I don't think $500 is overly unreasonable. Most book rates are heavily padded, but the business models of virtually every shop out there rely on using those rates.

• Informative
Reactions: untilcomplete
Thanks for data on another brand of springs. I've added them to the "database"...

Tesla Springs
( tiny.cc / teslasprings )

I've also added a column for usernames in this forum who have each particular spring installed. If you'd like me to add your username, private message me with a link where you have posted pictures.

That database is a good idea. :) Nice info for people looking to lower their Model 3.

As for the data on my springs, you could add 20mm to Model and change RWD to RWD SR/SR+/MR in Tesla Model. Cobra has many different springs for the Model 3, few different heights and they're also different for each model. RWD LR and RWD SR+ are different springs for example. Mine can be used for RWD SR, SR+ and MR only. Not for RWD LR.
And as for est cost, mine cost 426 euro including install, excluding our Dutch taxes. With current exchange rates that'd be around $450. Quite a bit more expensive than all those springs in the USA. ;)

If you'd like to add their other versions, you can check them on their website, it's in both Dutch and English. ;)
Home | Cobra suspension

Reactions: LakersCentral