Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowest Drag Cargo Box Suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking a cross country road trip this summer, plan to drive more than 8,000 miles over 4 weeks. My wife and I will be sleeping in the back of the car for about half of it. Previous experience tells me I'll wish I had a bit more storage space, so I'm looking for the lowest drag roof cargo box I can find. Cargo capacity / shape are pretty unimportant, I expect to fill it with food, small duffels bags with clothing, other small and soft items, so the smaller and lower profile the better.

My leading contender right now is the Thule Pulse Alpine, at 25.5" wide and 12.5" tall. 11 cu ft capacity but a whopping 88.5" long, probably still bigger than I need. Thule Pulse

The only ones I've found that are smaller also have a greater front cross section. Anyone have a small aerodynamic roof box you'd recommend?

For minimum range impact, install a tow hitch and get a hitch-mounted box.

I'm considering this, I was thinking of making a hitch mounted chuck box to keep all the cooking gear and food and give a cooking platform, but the trip will obviously require a lot of supercharging stops, and didn't like the idea of possibly having to remove it every stop to get the cable to reach.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
I would expect that to create more drag.
Something like the Thule Transporter Combi is in the low pressure area behind the vehicle’s wake. It will have a significantly lower impact on total drag than any roof top carrier. The key is using a box that is narrower than the car and lower than the truck lid. It looks like that box is just wider than the trunk lid and an aftermarket hitch would probably put the top at the same height as the trunk lid, so it should have only minor impact on range, and certainly less than a roof top carrier.

Other advantages:
- Lower and easier loading/unloading of cargo
- Larger and more space efficient packing volume
- Doesn’t require a roof rack

Disadvantages:
- Blocks rear camera, ultrasonic sensors, license plate and some tailights
- Reduces or hinders access to trunk
- May need to be removed for access to some Superchargers
- Additional rear length requires more consideration when maneuvering in tight spaces and parking
- Requires an aftermarket hitch
- More “fanny pack” than “rocket launcher” look

I'm taking a cross country road trip this summer, plan to drive more than 8,000 miles over 4 weeks. My wife and I will be sleeping in the back of the car for about half of it. Previous experience tells me I'll wish I had a bit more storage space, so I'm looking for the lowest drag roof cargo box I can find. Cargo capacity / shape are pretty unimportant, I expect to fill it with food, small duffels bags with clothing, other small and soft items, so the smaller and lower profile the better.

My leading contender right now is the Thule Pulse Alpine, at 25.5" wide and 12.5" tall. 11 cu ft capacity but a whopping 88.5" long, probably still bigger than I need. Thule Pulse

The only ones I've found that are smaller also have a greater front cross section. Anyone have a small aerodynamic roof box you'd recommend?

For as often as I'll need to use it, I'm going with the Thule Pulse M. It's got a wider cross section, but I'm not using it for skiing. My 2 main uses will be shuttling clothes and household goods back and forth from our place in MA to our place in Maine, and for humping Christmas gifts and luggage down to Virginia for the holidays.

We've got enough SC density here on the East Coast where I'm not too worried about the range hit when I have it on.

I have the inno wedge 660. It’s low profile, wide, and not too long which gives me full trunk access still.

My biggest gripe is actually with the Tesla its self. The rear mounting point for the roof rack is significantly lower than the front. The mount system is equal in height rear and front so the front of the box sits much higher than the back. This significantly increases overall drag regardless of box.

I have the inno wedge 660. It’s low profile, wide, and not too long which gives me full trunk access still.

My biggest gripe is actually with the Tesla its self. The rear mounting point for the roof rack is significantly lower than the front. The mount system is equal in height rear and front so the front of the box sits much higher than the back. This significantly increases overall drag regardless of box.

Are spacers available for the rear? (We just ordered our 3 so I don't have any experience yet but look forward to a top box)

Would you be able to confirm if you installed this cargo box with the Tesla M3 OEM roof rack and if there were any issues installing? Also, after a while would you recommend this cargo box overall? Thank you very much!

For as often as I'll need to use it, I'm going with the Thule Pulse M. It's got a wider cross section, but I'm not using it for skiing. My 2 main uses will be shuttling clothes and household goods back and forth from our place in MA to our place in Maine, and for humping Christmas gifts and luggage down to Virginia for the holidays.

We've got enough SC density here on the East Coast where I'm not too worried about the range hit when I have it on.
Hi,
I discovered this thread after researching cargo boxes for the Model 3. I have a Thule Pulse M and will be using it for our upcoming road trip to Nebraska from Chicago. Can you share what your experience was with using your Thule Pulse? I have read it decreases your range from 12-15%. There are several superchargers along the way and we have destination charging available at our families farm. Also, did you push back the cargo box as far as you could on the OEM roof rack? Thanks!

Hi,
I discovered this thread after researching cargo boxes for the Model 3. I have a Thule Pulse M and will be using it for our upcoming road trip to Nebraska from Chicago. Can you share what your experience was with using your Thule Pulse? I have read it decreases your range from 12-15%. There are several superchargers along the way and we have destination charging available at our families farm. Also, did you push back the cargo box as far as you could on the OEM roof rack? Thanks!
Yes, push it back as far as I could. You'll still see the shadow while driving, but it's out of the way of the cameras.

I mostly used it in winter, so the range hit was worse. Expect lots of wind noise though.

I know it's been a long time, but how has your experience has been with the Inno 660? I have a Yakima Skybox 12 but I'm wondering if something lower profile would offer a little more range.

how much higher my work parking lot is 6ft 8 inches. I'm really close about 4" before it hits that's my calculations.

This is important. This is a much larger factor than size of the cargo box.
The front should be level or rear slightly higher.
Ideally, the front of the cargo box should be behind the windshield high pressure zone (probably impossible for the Model 3)

Risers on the rear mounts if anyone sells them or fabricate if you know how. Mounts are very simple.

turned out pretty good i cleared my work parking structure

1701550021099.png

Reactions: pnwadventures