Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LPP questions/discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You say they've raised $3m to date but their website says they've raised $2m.... Is their website just out of date?

Since you've read LPP's 2014 Kickoff report, you must know they are about to launch a new website, so the current one is likely out of date. So why are you asking this question?

Also, when did they raise the $2m (from their website)? Over how many years was the $2m raised? How much money have they raised in 2012? In 2013? What's their annual expenses (ie., everything inc. salaries) for each of the past 3 years?

I don't know off the top of my head. I saw their accountant's financial reports somewhere, but don't remember where. Why don't you ask their CFO, Bob Fitzgerald, if you are seriously interested and not just harassing him with questions.

How many full-time employees working out of their office do they have? How many full-time employees working remotely do they have? How many part-time employees?

Bob would know better. As I said, I'm an investor.

It appears that they're valuing their company at close to $30m (near 300k outstanding shares x $100/share) for this financing round. But then they seem to be saying their book value is $2m. How exactly are they valuing their company and at what valuation?

You just answered your own question. Why exactly are you asking it?

Bob just sent me an email about this exchange. I'll have to study it and report tomorrow when I'm rested.

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions (formerly SCTY thread)

Actually I would like it if DaveT and or FluxCap, or anyone with experience in this type of investing could review the investment package. I've asked for an received a copy, and almost all the questions that were asked in the posts above seem to be answered in the paperwork provided. I'm considering investing, and I'm consulting with friends who have some experience, but would appreciate any other experienced reviewers comments.

I've reviewed the private placement memorandum this afternoon and I'm refraining from sharing my overall thoughts until I can get the questions I posted above answered.

My earlier posts on this (ie., dilution, valuation, etc) were mostly based off of the oddly suspicious activity of a company that claims to have raised over $2m (or $3m), have a valuation of close to $30m (based on offering share price and outstanding shares), and then tries to get investors to invest as little as $5k when SEC has clear regulations that discourage private companies from having large number of shareholders (ie., 500 cap) and when VCs who might join in on later rounds will likely not look favorably at the large numbers of these tiny investors. This is not to say that this activity can't be fully explained, but I was just bringing it up so people can get explanations in the due diligence process.

I'm very, very curious how much money they actually raised in 2012 and in 2013 and how much their expenses were in each of those years.

- - - Updated - - -

Why don't you ask their CFO, Bob Fitzgerald, if you are seriously interested and not just harassing him with questions.

Ok, I just sent Bob an email with my questions. FYI, I'm not trying to disprove and discourage anyone from anything here. I'm just encouraging due diligence and I'm also interested.

On a side note, you wrote an article called "The Mother of All Alternative Energy Investments" and you say: (emphasis mine)
"If you are such an investor (or know someone who is), I suggest you (or they) take some time to investigate this company. But don't take too long.At this writing, LPP needs only another $1M to continue their work at full speed. With adequate funding, they expect to achieve hydrogen-boron ignition in as little as a year. When that happens, big changes will begin in the $5-trillion energy sector, and the greatest ground-floor investment opportunity of the new era will be gone."

In other words, you're making some big claims which is fine. I actually appreciate it when people share articles like yours and I don't mind the enthusiasm. I don't mind you sharing it here in this thread either. However, when you become defensive when people start asking questions then it's not a good sign and doesn't help your article's cause. I don't believe any of my questions have been unreasonable, but rather just common questions any astute investor would ask.

Last edited:
However, when you become defensive when people start asking questions then it's not a good sign and doesn't help your article's cause. I don't believe any of my questions have been unreasonable, but rather just common questions any astute investor would ask.

I repeat: I welcome questions. But I get irritated when people post opinions before reading any relevant information (in Flux's case), or post questions already answered in material they claim to have read (in your case). Is that unreasonable or defensive?

Peter, Dave and Flux: I want to thank you all for the discussion of LLP. It shows people how to investigate/what questions to ask/due diligence on deciding to 'angel' invest in a start up company. I look forward to you all continuing your thoughtful and respectful discussions.

Great discussion now on possible LLP investment. Lay man's question: If LLP were found to be breaking the law by having too many small investors, who is legally responsible for this: the investors or the company? I.e. if this practice is found unlawful at a later stage does that basically mean that you forfeit your investment?

Last night, FluxCap and DaveT posted some baseless accusations and warnings about LPP. Here are the facts:

1) LPP is well aware of US securities laws, and is obeying the laws. LPP's current number of investors is roughly 1/10th the number that could lead the SEC to consider LPP non-private.

2) The $5k minimum investment amount is a very recent experiment. It may not last long. The minimum was $25k for several years, and many investors have invested much more than that, such as the over $1M (I recall reading somewhere) invested by the Abell Foundation of Baltimore. There is nothing odd, suspicious, or illegal about LPP's legal framework.

3) There is no danger of current investors being wiped out by venture capitalists investing later. LPP owns patents on extremely valuable new technology (if it works as Eric Lerner's quantitative theory predicts it will). If/When LPP achieves fusion ignition, VCs will be desperate to invest, and LPP will dictate the terms to them, not the other way around.

4) Dave's warning that LPP "will likely be needing to do many rounds to raise funds in the future" applies to typical startup companies, but not to LPP. As explained in the private placement documents that Dave now has, LPP expects to easily raise $50M to develop a prototype generator after LPP achieves fusion ignition. When the prototype is finished, LPP will generate revenue from technology licensing and from engineering consulting services to licensees (large high-tech manufacturers). LPP will not become a large manufacturer itself, and thus will not require further rounds to fund CapEx.

5) I am not an experienced angel investor, but the Abell Foundation is. Rest assured that they did plenty of due diligence on LPP before investing over $1M.
Abell Investments

6) LPP's new CFO, Bob Fitzgerald, is very busy but he said he will answer questions emailed to him as soon as he can.

7) I welcome further questions here, although I would prefer that folks first read my article (link in my signature) and the following threads that answer many questions:
The Mother of All Alternative Energy Investments | The Contrarian Investor Discussion Board
Eric Lerner of Focus Fusion

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions (formerly SCTY thread)

Last night, FluxCap and DaveT posted some baseless accusations and warnings about LPP.

The most concerning warning sign so far regarding LPP is how defensive, irritated, grumpy you're getting over just some questions when you're the one who brought up LPP as an investment suggestion to others. If I were to bring up LPP out of the blue with nobody ever mentioning it on this site and I said something to the effect that LPP is bad investment, then I can see you doubting my motives. But in this case you link to an article where you say it's the greatest ground-floor investment opportunity in our era and encourage people to look into it to invest or they'll miss out. Then, a few people ask some really basic questions and you get really irritated and question/doubt their motives. I've said multiple times I don't have a grudge against LPP, I'm simply bringing up some basic due diligence questions that should be fairly straightforward to get answers.

I'm going to wait to comment further regarding LPP because last night I emailed Bob their CFO my questions I posted here and I want to give him time to respond. (note: When I do due diligence on a early stage company I typically have a ton of questions regardless of the company. It's simply being responsible on my part and covering my bases as an investor. I've asked just my first set of questions, and I have a lot more but those other questions will largely depend on how my first set of questions are answered. Due diligence is not a simple, quick process. Rather, it involves a lot of work and asking lots of questions. It's the reality of early stage angel investing.)

For now, it would be better for you to focus your energy on the questions and discussion rather than going after people like me personally claiming I'm posting "baseless accusations and warnings about LPP" and insinuating I have false motives, when I've stated multiple times that I'm simply asking questions and issues that should be investigated during the due diligence process by any private equity investor.

Last edited:
The most concerning warning sign so far regarding LPP is how defensive, irritated, grumpy you're getting over just some questions...

For now, it would be better for you to focus your energy on the questions and discussion rather than going after people like me personally claiming I'm posting "baseless accusations and warnings about LPP"...

Well, now I've been scolded yet again by DaveT, and also by a moderator. If I attempt to clarify my statement that caused offense, will that be considered defensive, irritated and grumpy? I'll try to be respectful.

Respectfully:

Fluxcap posted:

it would seem like two possibilities exist: either the management of this company is unaware of the SEC laws they may be in violation of, or they are knowingly circumventing them.... It is disingenuous at best to take $5,000 investments from individuals in this structure, and illegal at worst.

Sorry, but those are baseless accusations, as I explained in my post below the offensive first sentence.

DaveT posted:

It's very suspicious that LLP is accepting shareholders with as little as $5k investment.... they will likely be needing to do many rounds to raise funds in the future.

Sorry, but those are baseless warnings in LPP's case, as I explained in my post below the offensive first sentence.

Maybe I shouldn't use the word "baseless," although its meaning (without factual basis) is accurate here. What word would be preferable? "Incorrect"?

So I apologize. Maybe I should have written "Last night, Fluxcap posted incorrect accusations and DaveT posted incorrect warnings about LPP." But I wrote a shorter, less diplomatic version in my haste to respond to Johan who showed that concern about LPP lawbreaking was spreading.

Did anyone read beyond the first sentence? I'm happy to discuss that too.

Peter,

The questions/comments asked of you here in this thread seem inappropriate. It is easy for me to understand your outrage at the tone and text, but perhaps I just recognize the passion and how that can influence your reaction.

Considering that this thread is "Alternative Energy Investor Discussions" it is not unreasonable to serve up an idea that is germane to the subject.

A speculative investment is not something one without many assets should be considering. An accredited investor who has acquired that status from making more good decisions than poor ones probably has enough common sense to ask the appropriate questions before making an investment. Or, they dip their toe cautiously and with limited funds they are fully prepared to lose. They don't need others to hold their hand. I find that insulting.

You have provided the names and addresses of those who can answer any questions that come to mind. It is not your responsibility to answer investor questions, nor should you have to defend yourself.

I read your article. I find it interesting that people who parse the statements of Elon failed to do the same with your article. Unless I read it incorrectly, you said LLP had received under three million in investments. Under three could be a few dollars or it could be $2,999,999. It doesn't mean more than that. A minor point, but telling nonetheless.

One suggestion I would make is that when people ask questions outside your ability or desire to answer, and especially WRT investment in LLP, you defer, as you generally have, to the appropriate people. Just don't do more than that. If you attempt to answer questions regarding the integrity of the company, it will only frustrate and irritate. When that happens, the responses become less civil and more hostile.

As you can see from the limited number of my posts, I do not contribute to this forum. I don't feel I have anything of value vis a vis Tesla. So I prefer to read anonymously and not participate. I don't high-five, back-slap, or join groups. All I do is try to make money off my investments, and Tesla has made me more than all my investments combined over the last 25 years. I do take chances, and when I believe in something, I push all the chips in. If you believe in LPP, it doesn't matter the comments or thoughts of others. This thread and the response to your offering is a good example of why I avoid the discussions. I will now return to my anonymous reading.

Peter, thanks for the continued discussion and I want to reiterate that I value your insights and your contributions here. I'll put together an e-mail to the investor contact you recommended to us and will try to do some due diligence as requested by you and others. In the meantime, please understand that I know what it feels like to be extremely passionate and excited about an investment (TSLA!) and to want to defend that investment fully and vocally. But please also understand that I am just trying to prevent harm to you and/or others here from what I perceive as an odd investment offering that raises 'red flags' based on my investment experience. It has nothing to do with the company's performance or the technology's prospects.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but I do want to prevent you guys from jeopardizing your investment dollars and/or running afoul of SEC regulations.

So with that, I just want to be blunt on two things here:

1) I am certainly not positive, but I am definitely worried that several people on this forum have invested in this company without meeting the SEC definition of Accredited Investor. Every single investment in this company must, by law, be made by an individual with either 1) a documented net worth in excess of $1million or 2) a documented annual income of $200,000 or more for the two years preceding the investment (or $300k with a spouse). It is the responsibility of this or any company issuing private shares in this country to verify this status with supporting documentation including proof of assets (e.g. bank statements) and/or proof of income BEFORE they accept your funds. If they have not done this, then they can get in big trouble. You as an investor can perhaps get in some trouble as well, but it's mostly on the company and the most you'd have to worry about is your investment dollars being wasted. If a company finds itself under SEC scrutiny, it usually doesn't matter how good the tech or product is, the company is going to fail. Now, if they have done all the proper asset and income verification for you and every investor and all of you meet that definition, then that's fine. I will be asking this question in my e-mail to the company. I don't see this as a "baseless accusation," it is just a theory that bothers me and bears further investigation. That's all.

2) No decently-capitalized private company I have ever invested in has taken an investment as low as $5,000 from an individual. Now, I'm sure this does happen, perhaps if an individual was bringing some value to the company beyond their investment funds, but generally it's simply too much of an administrative burden on the company and at the least, would be perceived as irresponsible by larger investors, and would raise eyebrows. Further, $5,000 in a company capitalized with $3million is literally a drop in the bucket. As described on the company's web site, theses shares would also seem to be non-voting. So this means that if the company is successful and a larger venture fund comes along to invest, these shares are at risk of being worth much less than they would have been with a larger investment that carried some measure of control and/or protection. All you have is the negotiating power of the larger investors, and if there is only one larger investor prior to a second round of funding, they may not have any interest in protecting the value of smaller investor's shares. Then the lawsuits happen, and by that time, everyone who invested is already going "to have a bad time" so to speak.

So I will e-mail the company and review materials, perhaps ask a few questions directly. In the meantime, though you may not wish to answer this on a public forum, I would be interested to know via Private Message how many of you that have handed this company money meet the financial definition I described above.

Trying to help here, that's all.

Peter, thanks for the continued discussion and I want to reiterate that I value your insights and your contributions here. I'll put together an e-mail to the investor contact you recommended to us and will try to do some due diligence as requested by you and others. In the meantime, please understand that I know what it feels like to be extremely passionate and excited about an investment (TSLA!) and to want to defend that investment fully and vocally. But please also understand that I am just trying to prevent harm to you and/or others here from what I perceive as an odd investment offering that raises 'red flags' based on my investment experience. It has nothing to do with the company's performance or the technology's prospects.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but I do want to prevent you guys from jeopardizing your investment dollars and/or running afoul of SEC regulations.

So with that, I just want to be blunt on two things here:

1) I am certainly not positive, but I am definitely worried that several people on this forum have invested in this company without meeting the SEC definition of Accredited Investor. Every single investment in this company must, by law, be made by an individual with either 1) a documented net worth in excess of $1million or 2) a documented annual income of $200,000 or more for the two years preceding the investment (or $300k with a spouse). It is the responsibility of this or any company issuing private shares in this country to verify this status with supporting documentation including proof of assets (e.g. bank statements) and/or proof of income BEFORE they accept your funds. If they have not done this, then they can get in big trouble. You as an investor can perhaps get in some trouble as well, but it's mostly on the company and the most you'd have to worry about is your investment dollars being wasted. If a company finds itself under SEC scrutiny, it usually doesn't matter how good the tech or product is, the company is going to fail. Now, if they have done all the proper asset and income verification for you and every investor and all of you meet that definition, then that's fine. I will be asking this question in my e-mail to the company. I don't see this as a "baseless accusation," it is just a theory that bothers me and bears further investigation. That's all.

2) No decently-capitalized private company I have ever invested in has taken an investment as low as $5,000 from an individual. Now, I'm sure this does happen, perhaps if an individual was bringing some value to the company beyond their investment funds, but generally it's simply too much of an administrative burden on the company and at the least, would be perceived as irresponsible by larger investors, and would raise eyebrows. Further, $5,000 in a company capitalized with $3million is literally a drop in the bucket. As described on the company's web site, theses shares would also seem to be non-voting. So this means that if the company is successful and a larger venture fund comes along to invest, these shares are at risk of being worth much less than they would have been with a larger investment that carried some measure of control and/or protection. All you have is the negotiating power of the larger investors, and if there is only one larger investor prior to a second round of funding, they may not have any interest in protecting the value of smaller investor's shares. Then the lawsuits happen, and by that time, everyone who invested is already going "to have a bad time" so to speak.

So I will e-mail the company and review materials, perhaps ask a few questions directly. In the meantime, though you may not wish to answer this on a public forum, I would be interested to know via Private Message how many of you that have handed this company money meet the financial definition I described above.

Thanks Flux. Bluntness doesn't bother me; inaccuracy does. Regarding your points:

1) If you study LPP's Investor page and private placement memo, you will find ample warnings about the net-worth/income requirements for investors who are US citizens. (No such requirements exist for non-US citizens, although they should understand the risk.) LPP requires US investors to sign a notarized certification that they meet the requirements. If you believe this is not adequate, please send evidence to support your belief to [email protected]. I know Bob will be grateful for any such help with his new job as CFO.

2) You are correct that LPP is not a "decently-capitalized private company." In the words of the expert Review Committee, LPP has been "grossly underfunded." This seems to be because their science, although based on proven principles, is cutting edge, and maybe because Eric Lerner is not as slick a presenter as big-money boys are used to. (The man wears black sneakers, for god's sake.) However, LPP is close now to achieving fusion ignition, which will bring a tide of eager investors. LPP just needs a little money to get over a short-term hump, and the $5k experiment attempts to make that easier. As I said before, many of their investors have invested far more, and LPP does not have a "ton" of small investors.

Also, I don't understand your concern about small investors having less "control and/or protection" than large ones. All of LPP's investors, large and small, own nonvoting shares. The only person with control is Eric Lerner. So if you don't trust Eric to protect you, then you definitely shouldn't invest in LPP. I spent hundreds of hours studying Eric's book, papers, video presentations, and phone conferences, and I do trust him. In the words of one of his colleagues, "the man cannot be bought."

I very much appreciate everyone's input. In my profession I know the right questions to ask before proceeding down a chosen path, and also know when something is not adding up and it's time to reevaluate the situation before moving forward. When it comes to finances and investing I have no idea, so value deeply those who take the time and effort to share their ideas, knowledge, questions, strategies and concerns and literally help educate me. The people on this very forum are incredibly generous with taking their time to do the aforementioned things, and this altruistic sharing of knowledge is what keeps me spending my days on TMC, as it forms the backbone of this community. So thanks!

With that said, I would favour having the LPP discussions in a separate thread...and maybe renaming this one yet again to solar investing?

Peter, It is easy for me to understand your outrage...

Thanks RABaby. Actually I was only irritated. When I get outraged, look out. :)

Peter, I'm not understanding your hostility...

Here's what I don't understand: the relevance of DaveT's questions.

If a person takes the time understand what LPP has done, and what they propose to do, the primary relevant question is: Can they do it?

I don't care if their current investment is "over $2M" or $3M, or if they have 5 full-time staff or 10. When I did my due diligence, I wanted to know:

1) Is the science sound?

2) Is the business plan reasonable?

3) Do the people seem competent?

4) Do the people seem trustworthy?

As I told Flux, I spent most of my investigation time studying Eric Lerner. He's in charge. He conceived this approach to fusion power, fought for it for 25 years, and never gave up. He and Elon are alike in that way too. For anyone on the fence about investing, I recommend studying the credentials of the fusion scientists who said: "the LPP DPF approach to fusion power has considerable merit, and a much higher level of investment is warranted, based on their considerable progress to date." Then study Eric.

But that's just me.

Mod Note: Peter, you've been asked privately to improve your tone; now I'm asking publicly. Everyone please note, the next aggressive reply is going straight to quarantine regardless of what else the post contains.

On a personal note I wouldn't even consider an investment when one man recommends it based on his own article and is so aggressive towards questioners. Still, that's up to each individual but I'll remind everyone of our disclaimer.

My thoughts, for what they're worth...

Peter, thanks for the continued discussion...

FluxCap / Everyone,

I replied to your post for not particular reason other than to add my $0.02. (Warning: Megapost ahead.)

I found this thread looking for new news on LPP. I don't drive a Tesla, although I considered it carefully last year. I've decided to wait a couple of years to see what happens with batteries, supercharger stations, etc. However, I was VERY close... But I digress. My G37S is paid for - hard to beat at the moment. So I apologize if non-invested people aren't welcomed in these parts.

I wanted to chime in because it looks to me like a common digital miscommunication has happened. Perhaps I can give a slightly different viewpoint on a couple of things and help reduce some chest thumping. Nobody asked me to come here - I'm not advocating anything except emotional restraint.

I have no official affiliation with LPP other than I hope what they're doing is possible because I feel it would benefit humanity in many ways. I've also had conversations with those at LPP having to do with issues irrelevant to this post. I visted LPP's Middlesex lab in January and it is my opinion that Eric is not only brilliant, but may just be right about the focus fusion device being viable as a commercializable energy source. Eric is careful, frugal and knowledgeable. The consequences of LPP being successful would be enormous, *IF* the device can be made to work.

I am a US citizen, accredited investor and investor in LPP (well above the $25K minimum.) I invested before the minimum was dropped to $5K. LPP asked me the right questions about the SEC requirements and I had their agreements reviewed by one of my attorneys, who has experience with SEC restrictions and regulated investments. The only red-flag my attorney's brought up was was Eric Lerner's salary, which he mentioned (and I agree) was slightly low compared to other companies. (The reason for this, I believe, is because Eric isn't in this to get rich off of the VC - he's perfectly satisfied with being rich with the end result, or poor, as it were. Gotta love that.)

Peter (who I have never met) wrote a positive article recently (which I have read) and (I think) linked to it here. Peter is obviously motivated to help LPP (as am I.) Peter's advocacy of LPP is understandable, but it looks to me like he's been caught in a common situation that happens a lot in online forums. Emotion is difficult to convey via text. He's jumping up and down (rightly so) about a great opportunity and can easily come off as someone trying to push a scam (even unwittingly.) This appears to have been exasperated by misinterpretation of honest questions being brought up. Those questions were perhaps interpreted aggressively as accusations and so the responses were written aggressively only to come off as unjustified defensiveness. Rinse + repeat = conflict. Nobody wins.

First, I encourage accredited investors to contact LPP directly to get their investment package. Email them and ask them questions. I did this and received timely answers to my questions.

Second, have their documents reviewed by people you know including an experienced attorney. If you don't do this, then you only have yourself to blame.

Third, I believe LPP has burned through just over $3M. The lower numbers are (I believe) due to the website being out of date. This is probably due to severely limited staff (as is alluded to in their most recent status report.)

Fourth, I'm pretty sure they opened up the minimum to $5K to encourage foreign investment in smaller amounts, but I could be wrong (ask them!) They don't appear to be anywhere close to hitting any legal limits of investors. Would I have done that? I don't know. They've been squeezed into a cash-scarcity position because of how complicated it is to evaluate whether or not to invest. It seems they could reverse that decision at will. If they get a good burst of cash, I would expect them to reverse it.

I started following fusion issues starting with Bussard's infamous Polywell talk and Eric Lerner's Focus Fusion talk in 2007. I read for years about everything surrounding all of the different approaches. When I got close to leaning toward the LPP technology (mid-2012), I literally read for 4-5 months - I read everything about it on the internet, watched countless hours of videos. I read in detail about every competitor as well (Helion, General Fusion, Tri-Alpha, etc.) I must have spent more than 1000 hours reading and digesting this stuff. I would be surprised if there's a publicly available video about LPP that I haven't seen at least once; many several times. I finally ended up firmly hedging that LPP was my horse in the race. Something interesting I've heard is that even if another solution works, it isn't over if LPP ends up working as well. LPP appears to have the simplest/cheapest solution going. For LPP to lose, it means that something else has to win *AND* LPP has to fail, regardless of the time frame, or something much better than LPP's solution has to be found. LPP's solution is essentially solid state and remarkably simple.

Before I finally invested, I went through what I call the "acid test" phase - I approached it from the standpoint of someone trying to criticize LPP's position in any way possible. I searched for any information I could find about people criticizing Eric Lerner's ideas and/or the LPP/DPF (DPF = Dense Plasma Focus) approach. I couldn't find much against it and the small amount I found didn't compel me.

I cold called the gentleman who runs the Abell Foundation (whose name I cannot recall at the moment.) He originally called on a plasma physicist he knew to do an external/impartial investigation into LPP and he essentially came back with a positive report finding no undisclosed boogey men. But nobody will know for sure until it is proven. Abell ended up investing a substantial amount (ask LPP for specifics) and the guy who ran it saw it for what it is: A risky investment with large potential upside, but considerable unknowns.

Peter is justified in being excited. (I'm was and am just as excited.)

Those with hard questions are justified in being cautious. (I was and am just as cautious.)

Here are some thoughts:

What LPP is doing is both very complicated and very difficult. Perhaps some of the most complicated, misunderstood and confusing science ever. Nobody knows if LPP can make this work, including LPP. Eric will be the first to tell you nobody can know for sure if there's an unknown limit, but there does not appear to be one in established science. He says that there appears to be no reason this shouldn't work and the only way to know is to try it. That's what he's doing. 10 years ago, most scientists quickly shrugged off Eric's idea as ridiculous. I don't see anyone poo-pooing LPP anymore. The worst criticisms I've seen is people convinced he'll hit a materials limit, but that remains to be seen. From what I've seen, Eric Lerner is painfully careful about everything he says technically to not oversell his situation. He does this in person as well, which is sometimes odd because I could see the gears in his head going as he carefully chose words that avoided overstating specific things or that could give an imprecise impression.

At the same time, LPP's structure is uncommon because of how they're trying to do what they're trying to do. Don't take my word on this - ask them and look at their structure and history. Eric has been very careful to not allow a situation where a VC faction can easily corrupt the intentions of the endeavor over money. That produces a non-optimal VC environment (as rightly pointed out by DaveT.) It does at first look fishy. If I were doing what Eric is doing, I'd likely do it similarly (the hard way) because I personally hate how VC's often care only about money. Eric decided to structure it this way even if that makes it look weird to money-grubbing VCs. I can't fault him for this, but I also understand how it looks fishy.

I agree with Peter that if LPP can demonstrate scientific feasibility, he won't have to worry about typical VCs - he'll be able to take his pick on investors. I think there's a wall of investors sitting in the front row waiting for some tipping point before they spring forth. The typical VCs will be in for a rude awakening if they expect to swoop in like they would in a typical VC situation. I don't think Eric is in this to sell out. I think he'll make sure the money is there for the right reasons and that the promise of affordable power will get to the masses. It only takes one sizable philanthropist to fund Phase II for humanity and there are plenty out there.

I really encourage everyone (Peter, DaveT, FluxCap, etc.) to acknowledge that (I think) you're all correct. This is exciting stuff, but due diligence and research is necessary before making assertions that paints this situation in one way or another. It would be irresponsible to state one side without the other. I think the fact that you each ended up in adversarial postures in this thread is unfortunate and I hope you can each reset your positions. I'd welcome and acknowledge the others positions and move on.

By the way, the way I think of my investment is this: In years of trying, I haven't found a single good technical reason LPP's idea should be impossible. In addition, in my opinion, if Eric is right about the upcoming steps LPP is taking, they should meet their goals or come very close. There are a lot of variables and LPP is forging ahead in realms of science that are as yet empirically unproven. There could be materials limitations that become enough of a problem during Phase II so as to stall the project out (but who knows?) This is something of an "immovable object meets irresistable force" problem. If I don't invest, I will literally hate myself for not being part of it. At the same time, I think I understand how hard it is for LPP to get investment given that their proposition and structure is quite uncommon. If investors don't ante up, they cannot succeed. Someone has to try these ideas, so I threw my hat in the ring because I refuse to be on the depressing side of that equation. I'd rather eat the (substantial) cost than wish I'd played my cards safer.

I would much rather see private attempts like LPP funded at relatively small scales than see billions wasted over decades by corporate/government funding machines. (ie: ITER.)

I don't expect anyone to have the same reasons I did for investing and I hope my comments are taken in an appropriate context.

Getting emotional about whether or not to invest is up to you, but everyone (Peter, DaveT, et al) - just get the data in the open and may those with enough backbone partake. Trying to read tea leaves without due diligence is silly. From my experience, LPP is on the level (and is remarkably honorable at that.) However, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if it is nearly impossible to convince anyone of that without having don a ton of research.

I had the time to blow 1000+ hours reading and I think a lot of the reason LPP doesn't get more investors is because people often don't have the time and/or aptitude to digest as much as I did. That's a shame, but it is understandable. I think almost all of the usual investor types are sitting on the sidelines because the LPP proposition isn't typical. I think it is good that LPP is structured this way, even with this difficulty as a downside.

If you're throwing money at this as a get-rich-quick scheme, you're irresponsible. But if it works and you don't get in, you'll get to watch others' stock skyrocket. Neither option is comfortable. Neither option should be condemned, either.

I hope my ideas help both the cautious and excited to know that everyone is just as confused/curious/opinionated about this whole thing. We don't need to pick teams like this is some contest. Each investor should pick a side with their money and avoid trying too hard to convince others about what to do.

-Paul

Mod Note: the discussion on LPP went here - LPP-investment-questions-discussion

This seems a good opportunity to remind everyone of our disclaimer.

I think that discussion should continue in this "TSLA Investor Discussions" part of the forum (as a new thread) as it seems to be very popular and stimulating a lot of interest. None of the people who follow this forum will see it anymore the place it was moved (took me awhile to navigate to it).