Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LPP questions/discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I missed the call too. Pictures look promising. Can you summarize please?

I would have summarised it, however, I thought it was better to wait for the report. It is very exciting and all is going to plan so far. Bit of a mistery why this experiment doesn't get more attention than it deserves. They are really on to something that can revolutionise the world as we know it in the not too distant future..

LPP Focus Fusion Report May 28, 2016

I would have summarised it, however, I thought it was better to wait for the report. It is very exciting and all is going to plan so far. Bit of a mistery why this experiment doesn't get more attention than it deserves. They are really on to something that can revolutionise the world as we know it in the not too distant future..

LPP Focus Fusion Report May 28, 2016
Thanks for the link. I got the report via mail, but I wasn't comfortable quoting too much of it myself.

Great progress. They achieved a new temperature record of 2.8 billion degrees! The ion energy is now enough for fusion of Hydrogen and Boron.

With the transition to the Berrylium Anode and later the Cathode they hope to resolve the final contamination issues!

I really think they are on to something and the world - as we know it - will soon change forever. This also a great application for space travel. A rocket with one of these devices can reach Mars in a matter of weeks.

Next Big Future: LPP Fusion can consistently achieve the ion energy to ignite hydrogen boron in an average shot

• Love
Reactions: Johan
I'm on the current LPPfusion investor call. The technical work is proceeding very well. However, they're running low on cash, again. I believe in the potential of this research, although clearly it's speculative. Anyway, I invested a little more recently, and encourage people who are looking for new alternative energy investments to at least have a look. FUSION | Empowering The World .

Reactions: Dutchie
I just received an email from Eric Lerner with some exciting news about the project. LPPFusion is not backed by some billionaire or by government they rely solely on investors and donations. Yet their results so far are much better than all other alternative initiatives and is about to overtake the muti billion government funded initiatives like JET and Z-Pinch. To see just how far I invite you to look at this

Hi Focus Fusion Fans,

Last year, thanks to all of you, contributions to LPP Fusion totaled over $34,000. While this was not enough for us to hire more staff, it was 5% of our total budget. It helped us to get over gaps in our funding for investors, and thus to keep our device firing shots and to keep us rolling to producing new education videos that get the word out and convince people to invest. For example, we will start releasing our new video series “The New Fusion Race” next week. (You can keep up with new videos on our Vimeo channel here.)

We still need your support. So, once again this year we are asking you to Fund a Shot!

For $75 you can fund the charging of one of our 12 capacitors for one shot, for $150, two capacitors and so on up to $900 for a full shot. Everyone who funds a given shot will be recognized in a list kept permanently on the website. You will be assigned to a given shot in the order that we receive your money. If we cite “your” shot in a scientific paper, we’ll include your name in the acknowledgements of the paper. Your shot may make history! You can contribute (not tax-deductible) here.

Contributors have been asking us about our plans for equity crowdfunding, where small investors can actually buy shares. We are working hard to get ready for such an effort, which we hope will occur in the coming few months. However, remaining restrictions in US security laws have led us to decide that we will have to limit such small investments to a minimum of $2,000 each.

So if you think you may well make an investment of $2,000 or larger, when given the chance, we urge you to hold off on donations and save up for that investment. That will benefit us, because we have to reach our investment goal to get the crowdfunding money.

If, however, you don’t think an investment of that much is possible this year, but you would still like to help fusion research, then please Fund a Shot with as little as $75. At whatever level you are able to help, you’ll be helping get fusion faster!

For fusion,

Eric Lerner

I am a volunteer for LPP. The issue with nuclear fusion and with LPP's project in particular is that it is pretty scientific and that it is - for a lot of people - difficult to grasp the huge benefits fusion has over other sources of energy. LPP is working on proton Boron fusion which has the potential of providing clean, abundant and very cheap energy for everyone (< than 10% of cheapest energy source currently on the market). The advantages are also that LPP plants are small 5 mW plants, enough for energy for a small community of 4000 - 5000 homes. So no more huge centralized plants and no more high wires.

When journalists write about nuclear fusion they often write solely on big government funded projects like ITER or NIF. If private fusion projects are mentioned then it is mostly projects that are sponsored by billionaires like Polywell or well funded projects like General Fusion. LPP, however, is barely mentioned. This is a shame as their results - despite a very limited budget - are much better than the other private funded projects and challenge the multi billion/multi government projects.

In order to change that LPP has made some video's. These video's explain the concept of fusion, the advantages of Proton Boron fusion, various fusion initiatives and the accomplishments to date of the various projects. I just wonder if any of you or in your immediate network know journalists who is willing to take up this story so that more people know what fusion involves and that it might so happen, that in not too distant future the reliance of fossil fuel can be a thing of the past.

Part 6 Fusion Race Stats - 2017

Reactions: EdA
I really hate to throw a wet blanket on this one, but I just came across a fairly recent thread (2016) at internationalskeptics.com. Eric Lerner joins the discusion on page 2 (post 53) and I have to say IMHO that he does not do well in a disccussion with people who clearly have a lot of technical knowledge. He is not able to convince anyone that his device has a serious chance of success. Some think he could luck into something, and some think he is a crackpot running a typical energy scam.

In any case, it is well worth reading a few pages if you are thinking of investing at all. I really thought this company had something with a sound scientific basis, but I don’t think that any more.

On the other hand, I just found this, even more recent announcement:

UC San Diego Center for Energy Research, LPPFusion to Collaborate on Fusion Energy Research
October 5, 2017

Hard to see how a major university would do this without doing some research of their own and concluding it is worthwhile. I guess it is pretty hard for the average person to figure out what is going on...

Sadly nonsense like this is often driven by wealthy people that have more money than sense....

'The Samueli’s donation is meant, in part, to elevate the study and practice of alternative medicine, including naturopathy and homeopathy.'

Never underestimate peoples gullibility and desire to believe in 'magic' :(

.... even people that should certainly know better....

Last edited:
Reactions: Lessmog
I really hate to throw a wet blanket on this one, but I just came across a fairly recent thread (2016) at internationalskeptics.com. Eric Lerner joins the discusion on page 2 (post 53) and I have to say IMHO that he does not do well in a disccussion with people who clearly have a lot of technical knowledge. He is not able to convince anyone that his device has a serious chance of success. Some think he could luck into something, and some think he is a crackpot running a typical energy scam.

In any case, it is well worth reading a few pages if you are thinking of investing at all. I really thought this company had something with a sound scientific basis, but I don’t think that any more.

Well that was a waste of half an hour. I read through that thread. Lerner did an OK job of defending his work. I mean, that thread got into stupid issues like the cost of Boron.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog
Well that was a waste of half an hour. I read through that thread. Lerner did an OK job of defending his work. I mean, that thread got into stupid issues like the cost of Boron.

I guess there can be differences of opinion on whether Lerner did a good job or not. There was a fair amount of name calling, appeals to authority, straw man arguments, etc. If that's all you read, then I can see how it could be a waste of time. But if you read the real, substantial questions and criticism, and Lerner's answers (or rather, lack of answers), that is not a waste of time for someone interested in forming an opinion on the viability of the approach and whether they should send money. It will take longer than a half hour though.