TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

LPT for homelink: add an inactive link

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by MrOteece, Jun 3, 2013.

1. MrOteece

MrOteece Member

I frequently "missed" hitting the button to open the garage door when the car was in motion, instead opening up the settings for homelink. The other day I added a second homelink button for the other garage door, but never activated it. Nice side effect is that the settings button is now separated from the door button by some dead space. No more settings popping up.

2. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

Nice tip!

3. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

I added a second garage as well, but still see the settings button?!? Am I missing something?

4. TelsaTap.com

TelsaTap.com New Member

I also often mis-hit and press the Homelink settings as I'm going over some bumpy area just when I press. Hopefully some future update will greatly enlarge the area to touch, and maybe push the settings under controls. It really doesn't need to be so easy to press.

Another idea, is when the homelink button appears automatically when the location senses it's near the garage, don't include the settings option at all.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yep. Me too. I think I'd prefer some kind of medium-sized dialog box with a big button just pop up in the center of the touchscreen. Maybe even get crafty and make it look like the old clicker you'd clip to the visor.

6. Vger

Vger Active Member

Good suggestion! While Tesla has done fairly well, they still sometimes forget how small some of their touchscreen targets are when the car is in motion on an uneven surface!

7. MichaelS

MichaelS Member

This is a good idea. But when I tried it, I found out that if you have the extra entry, the video greys out on the backup camera if it's on at the top of the screen.

8. dfitz206

dfitz206 Member

How about having Homelink when activated (for say 5-10 seconds) default to the right scroll button on the steering wheel. Then none of us would "mis-tap" and then the scroll button would be back to regular after that.

9. Jason

Jason Member

+1 for that

10. RNG

RNG Member

If you have more than one garage door linked, the scroll could allow the driver to select the appropriate door and pressing could activate the opener. I like this idea, don't have to reach for the screen at all.

RNG