Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD Acceleration Boost Option Resale Value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a LR AWD Model 3 and debating whether to get the acceleration boost or not. Resale value is a big factor for me.

For stealth, they are advertised as P3D when sold so they can command a premium. From most sites I see, it looks like there isn’t a listing option for acceleration boost so I’m wondering if any of the 2k can even be recovered when a lot of model 3s are listed in 3-4 years.

For example, if Tesla had an option to upgrade to stealth for 4k, that would be a great option since the car can be listed later on as a performance version

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
I think it should be able to get a bit of $$$ on resale. Maybe not the full $2,000 but you could probably get $500-$1,000 possibly.

Although, on the other side of the coin, it may look bad because a buyer could look at it as, if you bought it, you race/are hard on your car and maybe added additional wear and stuff may have a higher risk of breaking. No idea if any of this would be how someone would look at it, but maybe a thought....

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
I don't believe acceleration boost will yield any additional monetary value on the resale market; however, I could see it being more desirable than a vehicle without it all other things being equal. If resale value is a big factor in whether you buy or not, you'd be best suited to pass on it.

Reactions: dwalme
I would guess that in order to get any additional value for it, you will need to sell it private party to someone who wants the option, which could take some time. They of course would not give the full $2,000 for it considering they are not paying full sticker to any other part of the car. If you trade it in at a dealership, they will just look up the VIN and not see it listed as an option on the original sticker and won't give any value for it. If you trade it in to Tesla, they will likely deactivate it before moving it along, giving them a chance to sell it again to the next owner.

It’s a $2K option. I would imagine it would not command much of a premium over a regular LR AWD.

People who want The P3D will opt for the P3D.

Something that made a difference for me was you get this boost without your insurance company knowing. Huge difference in rates for the M3P car versus the AWD with boost, not a huge difference in acceleration.

Something that made a difference for me was you get this boost without your insurance company knowing. Huge difference in rates for the M3P car versus the AWD with boost, not a huge difference in acceleration.
There is no material difference for insurance of a Performance and LR model. Most carriers don’t even differentiate between the two.

Reactions: SlimJim
Try it out, you can always return it within the allowed window. As for resale, just like an ICE with mods, it would depend on who the buyer is and what they're looking for. But, I think you can get get some money for it. It's covered under warranty which is a big plus, and it does what it advertises.

There is no material difference for insurance of a Performance and LR model. Most carriers don’t even differentiate between the two.

This ceased to be true late in 2019.

Up through Sept 2019 all AWD 3s produced, P or not, had the same VIN code for motors.

Starting with 2020 models built in Oct 2019 and going forward the P has its own VIN code for motors and insurance can easily tell the difference.

(so arguably a 2019 P is more valuable than a 2020 :p)

I just bought a LR AWD Model 3 and debating whether to get the acceleration boost or not. Resale value is a big factor for me.

Buy the boost for fun. Forget about ever getting that money back in resale value. Ever. Does Tesla even let you pass on the boost? I imagine they want the next buyer to pay them 2k for it too like FSD.

This ceased to be true late in 2019.

Up through Sept 2019 all AWD 3s produced, P or not, had the same VIN code for motors.

Starting with 2020 models built in Oct 2019 and going forward the P has its own VIN code for motors and insurance can easily tell the difference.

(so arguably a 2019 P is more valuable than a 2020 :p)

Yes, the cars are now physically different but I think he is still right from the insurance perspective. My insurance quotes in March 2020 didn't ask which version of the model 3 I was getting. I was shocked because I knew the huge difference in price but they didn't seem to care. So I don't think this is universally true that insurers have caught up yet in 2020.

• Disagree
Reactions: DDHEverything

For stealth, they are advertised as P3D when sold so they can command a premium. From most sites I see, it looks like there isn’t a listing option for acceleration boost so I’m wondering if any of the 2k can even be recovered when a lot of model 3s are listed in 3-4 years.

For example, if Tesla had an option to upgrade to stealth for 4k, that would be a great option since the car can be listed later on as a performance version
How does the acceleration boost effect range & battery on LR3?