Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD delivered w/ suboptimal quality: return or keep?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen a few Model Y's in person now, none looked that bad, I would return and ask how in the hell it got let go.. I am sorry but that should be a loaner or some other kind of corporate vehicle, not in a paying customer... I can accept some panel gaps, seats are probably the easiest to fix.. maybe 1 touch up if small.. but that is bad all over.

Update 4/9.
thanks for all the helpful feedback.

Their service team got back to me after seeing the pictures. they will attempt to fix all things except for two. pics reattached.

1. the misaligned door and tailights. They said the pic shows the amount of misalignment is "within spec for model Y". It's interesting how they said model Y specifically. this might mean they have a more relaxing QC spec on alignment, given it's a brand new model in its early days.

2. surprisingly, the other thing they said they cannot fix, is the creamy white (not pearl white) paint touch up they did for the front bumper. see attached.

anyone knows why this bumper touch up is there in the first place? and more importantly, why would they agree to touch up all the other paint issues, but single this one out as what they won't fix?

i told them i will accept #1, because I feel that's a justified explanation. I'm buying VIN 27xx, for a brand new model, from a young auto maker. that makes sense.

I'm a bit unsure about #2. I asked for more background information/justification on it. I want to know why it's there in the first place for a brand new car , and why they wouldn't use the real pearl white paint to paint over it.

Attachments

• 2020-04-08 20.30.39.jpg
    2020-04-08 20.30.39.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 2020-04-08 20.40.46.jpg
    2020-04-08 20.40.46.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 2020-04-08 20.26.24.jpg
    2020-04-08 20.26.24.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Honestly there's no excuse for a car that cost 70k... and 70k is not chump change esp when our economy is in a recession; Tesla need to step up, the other option you have is to return the car within 7 days, 1000 miles, but you would have to either wait a year for the same trim or order the performance trim. imho, you should return it.

You don’t want to press for a return?

I can definitely return. it's well within 7 days, but they won't let me buy another one for another 12 months. the only option for me, seems to be upgrading to performance model for some $7000(?) more, or go for a SR RWD(?) that won't come out until 2021 or ever.

I feel stuck. I have been constantly trying to persuade myself to keep it. I would not hesitate if i could just return it and buy another for delivery within the next 6 months.

Update 4/9.
thanks for all the helpful feedback.

Their service team got back to me after seeing the pictures. they will attempt to fix all things except for two. pics reattached.

1. the misaligned door and tailights. They said the pic shows the amount of misalignment is "within spec for model Y". It's interesting how they said model Y specifically. this might mean they have a more relaxing QC spec on alignment, given it's a brand new model in its early days.

2. surprisingly, the other thing they said they cannot fix, is the creamy white (not pearl white) paint touch up they did for the front bumper. see attached.

anyone knows why this bumper touch up is there in the first place? and more importantly, why would they agree to touch up all the other paint issues, but single this one out as what they won't fix?

i told them i will accept #1, because I feel that's a justified explanation. I'm buying VIN 27xx, for a brand new model, from a young auto maker. that makes sense.

I'm a bit unsure about #2. I asked for more background information/justification on it. I want to know why it's there in the first place for a brand new car , and why they wouldn't use the real pearl white paint to paint over it.

Well after seeing these issues, I'm glad my LR RWD may not come out for awhile, this is an embarrassment to TESLA :(

• Disagree
Reactions: Kelr316 and TigaFF
Return it. No question. It is unacceptable that Tesla is putting the burden on you and not owning it themselves. 10 years as a manufacturer of premium automobiles and now releasing their fourth mainstream model—it’s time to grow up. With 1 million+ vehicles on the road, they have the experience to do better—no excuses. As consumers, we need to hold Tesla to a higher standard than they seem to hold themselves. Return it.

I can definitely return. it's well within 7 days, but they won't let me buy another one for another 12 months. the only option for me, seems to be upgrading to performance model for some $7000(?) more, or go for a SR RWD(?) that won't come out until 2021 or ever.

I feel stuck. I have been constantly trying to persuade myself to keep it. I would not hesitate if i could just return it and buy another for delivery within the next 6 months.

Perhaps a SO or someone that could purchase for you under their name (after return)?

is this your first Tesla? Return it - you know it’s what you want to do. Those issues will bug you until the day you sell it. Have your significant other create a new Tesla account and have them be the primary buyer on the same model and configuration.

Plus - I agree with others - Tesla needs to stop selling cars that look like they were assembled by 7 year old kids.

Touch up paint on bumper seems like when they attached bumper to fender the top part rubbed too closely or perhaps it was aligned too close from factory and paint stuck...then when pulled away a bit the paint came off. I have a VW Passat with a similar issue on the rear bumper. Too tight and the paint right on the edge has issues.

I could see one or three problems but this way too much! Even the chipped windshield was the “I am done with this one” Return it, I’m probably sure your next one will be perfect like it should be. I’m going to inspect mine first before I do any paperwork, Lucky for me San Diego delivery centers seem to put out quality clean cars, it’s a total embarrassment for Fremont to push that one out in that shape.

Fred

I have a white Y with similar 2,700 VIN. You definitely have way more issues than I have. Only complaint I have is the rattle on the back of the back seats. I hope they are able to fix these issues for you.

To the OP, I also have a 27XX VIN in White with none of the issues you pointed out, except the window trim gap (towards the rear quarter panel) as shown in the image 2020-04-08-19-40-36-jpg.

That was a very quick fix, however. Scheduled a service appointment and attached pics at the same time. Was in and out of the dealership in 20 minutes with the issue fully resolved.

Reactions: empiredown

You will have a pretty good chance to buy one in 6 months. With the economy headed for a recession, they will take your order for a higher trim, $70K MY or you may even find one in inventory.

if it were me, I’d first push hard they replace given all the issues. If that doesn’t work I would return and either wait or find a workaround to get another one.

Here's another way to look at it....
If you were to trade in that car today, you know the first things the trade in appraiser would point out (and deduct $$$ for) are the exact things you're complaining about right now.

Return it, wait 6mo+ so they can hopefully sort out their significant QC issues on the MY and have your wife order one.

Just look at what happened today.. you can now add a tow hitch to the MY right from the factory. Maybe in 6mo time there will be other nice options available that you'd like to have ;)