Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD Delivery on Monday...should I cancel, and order a MYP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's the thing — I know this is one of the most first world problems of all first world problems. I know the fact that I'm debating over this is a bit ridiculous, but please hear me out.

This will be my third Tesla in about as many years. Initially I got a RWD LR Model 3 and I absolutely loved it. It was one of the best cars I'd ever tried, and I was, as many of you can attest to, instantly hooked. It was incredibly fast, much faster than anything I've ever owned.

With that said, I got bit by the bug to go faster, and ended up upgrading to a stealth P3D. It was gut-wrenchingly fast, certainly faster than my LR RWD. I also got the seats in white instead of black.

Both cars have since been sold and I've been back to an ICE (Prius) for almost a year. I figured with COVID I wasn't going anywhere, so there was really no point of having the car. One thing I disliked about my 3s was how low they sat to the ground. It made me cringe every time I saw an older passenger get in my car. It was clearly uncomfortable to get in and out of.

Because I needed an easier car to get in and out of, and a more practical car for hauling stuff when needed, I've since decided to get a LR Model Y with the understanding that it will be nowhere near as fast as my P3D-. The reason I was able to justify the stealth P3D was that the price was only a couple of grand difference (at the time), but upgrading to the MYP is a huge gulf. I can comfortably afford a MYP, but I still like to be as reasonable as possible with finances, and it just seems like a huge price increase for minimal gain. I know it's all relative, but can anyone else relate to this?

My config is MSM/white interior with Inductions and Tow hitch. I'm worried that I might be dissatisfied with the performance of the MY LR, and that's why I'm considering cancelling the order for a MYP. However, this would require a lot more money, and perhaps a lot more time waiting for it to arrive. I prefer how the MYP looks with the calipers and wheels, but I'd have to immediately remove the wheels for snows, which would be more money up front.

Am I being unreasonable with my thought process? Despite the thread title, I'm not really asking for you to tell me what to do, I'm just trying to think this out in as reasonable manner as possible. Sometimes talking about it among others can be helpful.

If you take delivery of the LRDM MY and feel you are missing some of the thrill of the Performance Model 3/Y you can always purchase the SW upgrade for $2k that will shave ~1/2 second off the 4.8 second 0-60 time (some report that with the SW performance upgrade they are getting 0-60 times under 4 sec.) You can turn on the performance upgrade and try if for 48 hours. If, within 48 hours of purchase, you are not satisfied with the performance boost you can request and receive a full refund; for the upgrade (not the LRDM MY.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Carlvs and ChadS
I am in an extremely similar situation. I had an RWD LR 3 for 6 months, but I'd previously had an astounding lease deal on an S P90DL, so as cool as the RWD LR 3 was I upgraded to a P3D+ two years ago. I have never sold a car that soon, but felt enabled by being able to sell it for everything I had put in to it (including sales tax and registration).

The P3D is just about perfect for me (well, I wish it was a slightly smaller hatchback) but I too have elderly passengers and moving to a Y makes sense...but I've been putting it off because I am driving so little (especially with passengers) due to COVID. When the time does come...I still don't know if I will get the MYP or not. I know I will be a lot happier with it...but I hate spending that kind of money for nothing more than acceleration, plus the headache of having to deal with goofy-heavy wheels and summer-only tires that come with the MYP. I sure with they'd go back to offering the stealth version with regular wheels/tires. Right now I think I will get the LRDM Y and get the performance boost that jcanoe suggests; but my wife scoffs at that given what happened with my RWD LR 3.

One difference between you and I is that I'm still driving and loving my P3D, and I know that switching to a slower car is difficult. But you are currently driving a Prius. It seems to me that the LRDM Y with Performance boost will be such a leap over the Prius that you may be perfectly happy with it.

Maybe. :)

Good luck! Oh, by the way...check for inventory MYPs. Near me, at least, they have some for sale for $2,500 for the regular version...and $5,000 off for the Stealth.