Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD Performance (Stealth TM3) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats on your Red Stealth you guys!!

Short version, I was matched with a freshly minted Stealth on Monday morning 12/2, was assigned my VIN#, received my MVPA and went to my credit union, got two cheques for Tesla and waited for delivery.
Received a text yesterday Tuesday 12/3 at 0920 saying my car was on the truck and i scheduled earliest delivery Monday 12/9.

Received a phone call today (12/4, wednesday) that my truck had arrived and my car would be available as early as tomorrow 12/5 (thursday), so I scheduled that one.

Then after e-mailing and asking about cancellations, they phoned me back 90m later and said, hey can you come today (in 2 hours?) YUP!

TLDR;
took delivery one full week early vs when promised, and the same day it came off the truck from Fremont.
Screenshot_20191204-232110_Messages.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DKM3D and OverEZPZ
As promised, here are pics from our delivery today. We arrived right at 2pm and the whole place was pretty packed. Every bay they had was full and whole parking and street parking was full as well. We waited about 45 mins total before the actual delivery. During that time we signed papers and purchased 14-50 adapter. Outside of that, it will still a pleasant experience despite the DC being more of a converted wherehouse than a dealership showroom (but that's ok, if it saves money and that savings is passed along :) ). Definitely nothing fancy like a BMW dealership haha.

Our delivery person took the time to answer all our questions, demo the basics, and let us inspect the car to our hearts desire. I asked them to note that the front passenger side of the bumper did not sit all the way flush with the fender (not a big deal) and that was really the only blemish we saw. Seems like a simple adjustment but we wanted to get outta there so if they call us back to bring back to a service center another day, that is fine. Overall fit and finish is good/excellent and the paint quality looked good. I even took a quick look under the car at the battery/lift mounts and it was all clear there. No other issues noted. The car was 80% charged and so we left.

On my way out in my BMW M3, one of the porters did ask if I would like to trade my car for the Model X he was moving, so that did put a smile on my face LOL...naaaah! :)

With that, its been a fun waiting with all you folks. I wish everyone the best this holiday season and hope that you all get to enjoy your Stealth Model 3s in good health!

View attachment 483780 View attachment 483782 View attachment 483781

View attachment 483776 View attachment 483777 View attachment 483778 View attachment 483779
Why is the speedometer background blue in the last picture?

I picked up my car today. It was a very good experience, excellent. I had a great DA in San Francisco who knew a lot about the Model 3. She taught me a lot! We checked over the car and there was a small scuff on the front nose. She called over someone who buffed it out in a minute or so. Everything else looked very good. I mean very good. I did not go over it precisely - but rather as I would when picking up any car.

Papers took about 5-10 minutes, mainly because she wanted to explain what I was signing. I did, wrote a check and the Tesla was mine.

We went over the various systems, paired my phone, went over the phone app (I REALLY like that app!). Total time for delivery was about 1 hour. I can't emphasize how excellent this person was in delivering the car. I seemed to be the only one there picking up and it was at 2:30pm. They are waiting for the storm of cars coming soon. They certainly seem bored right now!

Driving the car home, through SF traffic and freeway and traffic home, I had a few observations about my new Model 3 P3D-. The car is better than I remember it from test drives. When it's your car, it hits home - and it is a really one fine car. It drives like a sports car, but is comfortable and solid as any luxury car I have ever seen. It is faster than hell, but not in a dangerous way.

It takes a bit of time to understand all the nuances of the car. This will take a bit of time. But, on the 30+ mile ride home, it was pretty straightforward. Tesla's design and engineering is really on the mark. Everything is intuitive to use, and a lot of good things that took a lot of time and effort of a lot of people. This car is definitely a winner.

Was the car worth the wait (approx 2 months)? YES. The wait was tough, but the car is totally worth it. It really helped in my case that Tesla came through with an absolutely shining delivery experience. It made up for all prior BS. I really don't think there is any other car that I would rather over my Model 3 - and I can pretty much get whatever I want.

Just a few bits of information I picked up in the showroom while I was waiting (my Uber made good time and I was early).
- At least in San Francisco, no P3D+'s have been yet delivered in Q4. Sad, but they are coming.
- No one knows why Tesla spat out a bunch of P3D-'s, but everyone is glad they did. I certainly am.
- Things are expected to pick up in a week and get to the point where 15 minute appointments are absolute. I got lucky and got early delivery because I snagged a P3D- that had been produced. They do expect to deliver all cars, but cringe at the though of delivering them. It will be fast and furious, but all cars are expected to show up. It's unfortunate that the US really got stuck in the X-mas rush. I dreaded it, but was lucky to avoid it. Either way it is worth it.

Good luck!

View attachment 484866

See, didn't I tell you? It was, after all, quite possible to have a better-than-smooth delivery experience.

:D

I'm happy for you! Congrats on your new wheels, and remember: the love affair is just beginning, and you get to fall in love again, every time to drive your new model 3.

Car looks awesome, btw! Even though we both have stealths, those red cars just -look- faster. Don't be afraid to show off the awesome, gut wrenching instant torque, and just imagine jaws gaping as they eat your dust! :D

PSA: When there is someone in the passenger seat who hasn't been in a Model 3, and there you are at the stop light waiting to enter the on ramp: Time to "let 'er rip!". Be sure to tell your new rider to lean back in their seats with their heads against the headrest. They will thank you three seconds later, assuming they haven't passed out. ;)

Or, try the "hook maneuver used by Navy/AF pilots:
  • Breathe in, and begin to say the word “Hook.” You should feel your glottis, the opening between your vocal cords, at the back of your throat. About three-quarters of the way through the word, before hitting the “K” sound, close your glottis and hold for 2.5 to 3 seconds.
  • Exhale, finish the word “hook,” and inhale. Strongly exhale and finish the word “hook,” drawing out the “K” sound. Then inhale and get ready to repeat. This step should take no more than one second — just enough time to let blood flow into your heart and chest, but not enough to allow the blood to leave your brain.

• Funny
Reactions: ambudriver03
PSA: When there is someone in the passenger seat who hasn't been in a Model 3, and there you are at the stop light waiting to enter the on ramp: Time to "let 'er rip!". Be sure to tell your new rider to lean back in their seats with their heads against the headrest. They will thank you three seconds later, assuming they haven't passed out. ;)

• Breathe in, and begin to say the word “Hook.” You should feel your glottis, the opening between your vocal cords, at the back of your throat. About three-quarters of the way through the word, before hitting the “K” sound, close your glottis and hold for 2.5 to 3 seconds.
  • Exhale, finish the word “hook,” and inhale. Strongly exhale and finish the word “hook,” drawing out the “K” sound. Then inhale and get ready to repeat. This step should take no more than one second — just enough time to let blood flow into your heart and chest, but not enough to allow the blood to leave your brain.
Man. I had to Google that, it's a real thing!

(Unlike Tesla's insurance!)

I'm a recently retired military fighter pilot. I test drove the AWD and was blown away but the wife wasn't having any of the 0-80 stuff...she literally screamed with fear and roller coaster excitement at the same time. I took the AWD back and borrowed the P-model next. The wife gladly stayed in the showroom while I drove the P-model. I was blown away by the seat of the pants. I was nauseous after a few minutes of gunning it. After returning the car we went and had an adult beverage while we discussed the test drives. I had a mild headache the entire evening. I woke up the next day about 20% woozy still. I hadn't felt airsick / seasick in 20 years and I'm currently an airline pilot. While the acceleration is instant and brutal, there must be something about the "lack of sound" that plays games with your inner ear.

I am not kidding when I tell you that stomping on the P-model from 0-80 was just as brutal as a catapult shot from a nuclear aircraft carrier during ship launch. That is something like 0-130mph in 3 seconds but there is sound, bouncing, prior experience to clue your inner in on whats going on. The model 3 was different in many ways but that might be the closest thing I've felt since flying off the ship back in the day. There is a Ferrari rollercoaster ride in Abu Dhabi that has a similar launch to a model 3. It really is an incredible value at mid-$50k.

After the test ride I drove home in my 2018 modified Raptor. It has almost 600hp and can do 0-60 in 4.4 seconds...not too far off the AWD but the AWD felt TWICE as quick 0-60. Numbers are numbers but i'll take seat of the pants any day over numbers. It was just such a fun and quick car to drive.

We are going to pass on the stealth and keep the AWD on order (maybe next week). The wife really really really wants the white interior. I'll keep watching for a stray white interior...good luck everyone.

I'm a recently retired military fighter pilot. I test drove the AWD and was blown away but the wife wasn't having any of the 0-80 stuff...she literally screamed with fear and roller coaster excitement at the same time. I took the AWD back and borrowed the P-model next. The wife gladly stayed in the showroom while I drove the P-model. I was blown away by the seat of the pants. I was nauseous after a few minutes of gunning it. After returning the car we went and had an adult beverage while we discussed the test drives. I had a mild headache the entire evening. I woke up the next day about 20% woozy still. I hadn't felt airsick / seasick in 20 years and I'm currently an airline pilot. While the acceleration is instant and brutal, there must be something about the "lack of sound" that plays games with your inner ear.

I am not kidding when I tell you that stomping on the P-model from 0-80 was just as brutal as a catapult shot from a nuclear aircraft carrier during ship launch. That is something like 0-130mph in 3 seconds but there is sound, bouncing, prior experience to clue your inner in on whats going on. The model 3 was different in many ways but that might be the closest thing I've felt since flying off the ship back in the day. There is a Ferrari rollercoaster ride in Abu Dhabi that has a similar launch to a model 3. It really is an incredible value at mid-$50k.

After the test ride I drove home in my 2018 modified Raptor. It has almost 600hp and can do 0-60 in 4.4 seconds...not too far off the AWD but the AWD felt TWICE as quick 0-60. Numbers are numbers but i'll take seat of the pants any day over numbers. It was just such a fun and quick car to drive.

We are going to pass on the stealth and keep the AWD on order (maybe next week). The wife really really really wants the white interior. I'll keep watching for a stray white interior...good luck everyone.
It is quite interesting to hear from a retired fighter pilot! I am very surprised that it messed with you that much, and even more that you said the 0-80 is "just as brutal as a catapult shot from a nuclear aircraft carrier". Out of curiosity I looked up the calculation to get a 0-60 or something similar for an aircraft carrier catapult and found someone did the math for me already: What is the 0-60mph time of an aircraft carrier catapult?.

According to Wikipedia Aircraft catapult - Wikipedia an American carrier type Kitty Hawk has a catapult capable of accelerating a mass of 35000 kg to 139 knots (71,51 m/s), and the system's stroke is 76 m. From the terminal speed and the stroke, a simple calculation gives a mean acceleration of 33,64 m/s/s. Hence, and assuming the acceleration constant along the stroke, the time needed to reach 60 mph = 26,81 m/s is t=v/a => t=26,81/33.64 => t=0,796 seconds...
The model 3 performance 0-60 is about 3 seconds (with 18" wheels and performance tires). The acceleration from 0-60 in 3 seconds is 0.91g.
For that plane taking off the Kitty Hawk doing 0-60 in ~0.8 seconds we are looking at 3.42g.
So the aircraft carrier takeoff is 3.75x more g force than the P3D.

I'm not disputing your feeling at all, just surprised that they feel similar to someone like you with so much experience in extreme accelerations. That silence really must make a huge difference.

Need some advice... picked up my white stealth this past Saturday in Fremont. I looked over the car as best I could, but it was pouring rain and didn't get a chance to examine every inch of it because of the weather. It's been raining pretty consistently since then, but just last night it let up and I had a chance to look over the car again (even though it's still dirty from driving in the rain). I noticed a few small black scratches on the paint above the driver side B pillar. It looks like something rubbed against it and scratched the paint. I know for a fact this wasn't something that happened after delivery, so what are my options? Can I still contact Tesla regarding this even though I've taken delivery and didn't see it upon my initial inspection?

It is quite interesting to hear from a retired fighter pilot! I am very surprised that it messed with you that much, and even more that you said the 0-80 is "just as brutal as a catapult shot from a nuclear aircraft carrier". Out of curiosity I looked up the calculation to get a 0-60 or something similar for an aircraft carrier catapult and found someone did the math for me already: What is the 0-60mph time of an aircraft carrier catapult?.

The model 3 performance 0-60 is about 3 seconds (with 18" wheels and performance tires). The acceleration from 0-60 in 3 seconds is 0.91g.
For that plane taking off the Kitty Hawk doing 0-60 in ~0.8 seconds we are looking at 3.42g.
So the aircraft carrier takeoff is 3.75x more g force than the P3D.

I'm not disputing your feeling at all, just surprised that they feel similar to someone like you with so much experience in extreme accelerations. That silence really must make a huge difference.

I had a modified Golf R with launch control that was only a few tenths slower to 60 but my P3D- feels SOOO much faster for some reason. I feel like I can literally feel my brain slam back in to the back of my head when I floor my Tesla and it makes me nauseous. I never had any kind of feeling like that with the Golf. I really do feel like the lack of sound means your brain can't prepare for what is about to happen or something like that. It's wild.