Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD vs P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are still many people that have stuck with the LR AWD and not upgraded to the P- for the very small (relatively) extra cost. I'm genuinely curious as to why.

I appreciate that for the younger generation there is a much bigger hit on insurance premiums for "performance" cars, but for the rest I'd really like to hear why you didn't feel like the upgrade mattered. If nothing else the value of the car would surely be a lot more with it than without it when it is eventually sold and I don't believe there are any real practical downsides (like range for example, as long as you have the 18" aero's).

I guess the real reason I'm asking is to check if I've missed something I hadn't thought of when changing from LR AWD to P3D-

There are still many people that have stuck with the LR AWD and not upgraded to the P- for the very small (relatively) extra cost. I'm genuinely curious as to why.

I appreciate that for the younger generation there is a much bigger hit on insurance premiums for "performance" cars, but for the rest I'd really like to hear why you didn't feel like the upgrade mattered. If nothing else the value of the car would surely be a lot more with it than without it when it is eventually sold and I don't believe there are any real practical downsides (like range for example, as long as you have the 18" aero's).

I guess the real reason I'm asking is to check if I've missed something I hadn't thought of when changing from LR AWD to P3D-
Personally I ordered LR early (before the price change) as it was cheaper than performance, had longer range (particularly as I intend to keep the car for a long time and the battery will degrade), and insurance will be cheaper.
I haven't changed after price change as I don't want to lose my place in the queue, and I have already arranged finance (so don't want to have to rearrange).

Reactions: mab74
I’m of a certain age and live in London. I just don’t desire/need/want, etc. quicker acceleration over range. For me the LR AWD ticked all the boxes. May have been a different story if it was not available from the onset, but then again knowing that it was available in other markets would have put me off all together.

Thats the thing that I think is very confusing for most people. I don't believe there will be any difference in range if you choose to drive at a reasonable speed. That is I think you can have your cake and eat it so to speak. If you want the performance it's there, if you want to drive economically you can have that too.

I'm sure we'll see some real world comparisons of a LR AWD vs P3D- in a WLTP test and I'd be very surprised if there is any difference in range.

There isn't any range difference on the US site between LR and P+, there won't be any range loss if you drive a P- the same as a LR either, with a P+ you may get lower range having the larger wheels but how you drive the car will be the biggest factor.

The insurance cost between a LR and a P- was nothing for me but it maybe more for others.

Range is exactly the same as a P- with 18" aero wheels. In fact those who ordered the LR AWD with 19" Sport wheels will lose a little range compared to P-

If you don't need a towbar it's a no-brainer to get a P- after the price reduction. Although those who ordered with FSD when it was discounted would probably have to pay another £1k after the upgrade. But I think you would get it back easily with better residuals on the P-

• Disagree
Reactions: Roy W.
For same reason why some won't pay extra for FSD - why pay for something that we would never use? Plus, have perpetual price hike risk on increased insurance costs. Its silly fast already, don't want/need anything faster. I like the rear badge better, but thats it. And I'll probably remove that anyway.

Wouldn't upgrade even if it was free. Even if I could keep tow hitch. Permission to change my mind if it happened, but only once I got full facts on insurance group and I could keep the tow hitch. Its going to be kept in chill mode anyway.

Finally bite the bullet and gone from LR AWD to P with aero wheels. Should get better range than the full fat P and better ride.
As others have said, in other ICE cars, to increase the bhp to get 0-60 from 4.4 to 3.2s would cost many 1000s more for the upgrade is a no brainer. But only if you care. Each to their own so really you pay the money to get what you want.

Help me out as I must have missed something. The last I saw, there was no LR AWD option to upgrade to the P-, but rather a petition for Tesla to offer the option. What did I miss or misunderstand?
You simply call Tesla (wait hours to be answered) and change your order to P- or P+ Recognising you get a lot more acceleration for a little extra money. I kept my same order number and same place in the queue (according to them - but who knows). The Invoice was revised to add the word Performance after LR and to reflect the new pricing. Yes I annoyingly had to pay more for the FSD as originally it was discounted which they wouldn’t carry over in the revised order. All other spec remains same as original LR ordered so in fact the cars are identical out of the factory but the P- is simply a software upgrade and a different badge on the boot! I’m surprised Tesla were not proactively contacting LR orders to discuss upgrade. Actually, scratch that, given the experience of the last 3 months I’m not surprised about that at all...... but they should have proactively contacted the early advocates who ordered LR to ensure they were all looked after........

You simply call Tesla (wait hours to be answered) and change your order to P- or P+ Recognising you get a lot more acceleration for a little extra money. I kept my same order number and same place in the queue (according to them - but who knows). The Invoice was revised to add the word Performance after LR and to reflect the new pricing. Yes I annoyingly had to pay more for the FSD as originally it was discounted which they wouldn’t carry over in the revised order. All other spec remains same as original LR ordered so in fact the cars are identical out of the factory but the P- is simply a software upgrade and a different badge on the boot! I’m surprised Tesla were not proactively contacting LR orders to discuss upgrade. Actually, scratch that, given the experience of the last 3 months I’m not surprised about that at all...... but they should have proactively contacted the early advocates who ordered LR to ensure they were all looked after........

I just received my LR AWD, so I guess it's too late for me... :( Just curious, how much more did it cost you over the LR AWD price for the added acceleration?